High resolution images claim to show 'iPhone 5S' and iPhone 5 display assemblies side-by-side

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A set of high resolution images were posted to the Web late Tuesday claiming to show a side-by-side comparison of the display assemblies for Apple's iPhone 5 and a rumored next-generation model dubbed "iPhone 5S."

iPhone 5S Display
Source: FanaticFone.com

The photos come from FanaticFone, which alleges to have gotten their hands on a sample of the iPhone 5S display assembly some months before analysts expect Apple to unveil the next-gen handset.

Tuesday's high-resolution pictures come on the heels of an identical images revealed on Monday, which appeared to match up with a supposed iPhone 5S logic board "leaked" that same day. While Monday's photos appear to be congruent with the latest imagery, it is not clear whether the display assembly is a production model, a prototype, or merely a well-crafted mock-up.

iPhone 5S Display

FanaticFone's images, while clear and unobstructed, are of unusually high quality, with no shadows or digital artifacts. The photos' metadata shows the pictures were taken with a prosumer D-SLR without flash, meaning an external lighting source such as a light box was used to capture the nearly flawless images.

Assuming the part is legitimate, it appears as though Apple made only minor changes to the display assembly, with chassis anchor points, camera holes and even antenna plugs located in identical spot. The most obvious difference between the two components is the flex cable that feeds information and power to the panel, and touch data back to the handset.

As the end of Apple's annual refresh cycle draws near, an increasing number of purported leaks are showing up online. Supposed leaks include a new FaceTime camera, home button, dual-weight vibration motor, SIM tray, volume rocker, and mute switch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Rumors...part pictures....gonna be a long summer of this stuff...
  • Reply 2 of 50

They don't look anything alike...

/s

• Reply 3 of 50
    If Apple does not launch a proper '14 phone sporting a larger screen and 1080p HD quality resolution, I take a flight, rent a car, go on infinite loop and sit naked on the grass until it happens. Hope these rumours are related to an iPhone mini (aka low-cost) than just an update on the low-wow iPhone 5.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I don't understand the redesign of the ribbon cable. It takes significant resources to redesign and retool something. I see no benefit to this unless they are going to add another feature to the phone.

After taking my iPhone 5 apart to replace the microphone, it looks like the ribbon cable would have to reach farther for something.
  • Reply 5 of 50

The 5S has its father's i's. 

• Reply 6 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonbazar View Post

If Apple does not launch a proper '14 phone sporting a larger screen and 1080p HD quality resolution, I take a flight, rent a car, go on infinite loop and sit naked on the grass until it happens. Hope these rumours are related to an iPhone mini (aka low-cost) than just an update on the low-wow iPhone 5.

Be prepared to do that, though I doubt you are serious about it.

• Reply 7 of 50
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Looks more like the new S5 from Samsung.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    bonbazar wrote: »

If Apple waits long enough... you will have to sit in the center of the Spaceship Campus ;)
  • Reply 9 of 50
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    how about putting a pineapple up your butt too?
  • Reply 10 of 50
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonbazar View Post

Apple will not release larger screen iPhone until high quality 4.6" - 4.7" screens can accommodate 4x resolution without yield problems. I surely hope this is prepared, because Apple is already giving a large market share to Samsung in premium class exclusively on account of screen size, because Samsung and in general Android "world" doesn't give a damn about developers, existing and future apps.

In continental Europe Samcrap S3 and S4 is definitively taking over iPhone. There is absolutely no other reason as screen size. I will most probably stay with iPhone Classic, although if you really look at it, 4.6" in 16:9 format is not really that much bigger from 4" when carried in the pocket, but it can hold far more information on the screen. Almost 33% actually....

• Reply 11 of 50
    Apple should immediately release larger iPhone to kill Samsung . Apple must address this ASAP!! Why does Apple give a gap to Samsung to live !!!
  • Reply 12 of 50
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    poksi wrote: »
    Apple will not release larger screen iPhone until high quality 4.6" - 4.7" screens can accommodate 4x resolution without yield problems. I surely hope this is prepared, because Apple is already giving a large market share to Samsung in premium class exclusively on account of screen size, because Samsung and in general Android "world" doesn't give a damn about developers, existing and future apps.

In continental Europe Samcrap S3 and S4 is definitively taking over iPhone. There is absolutely no other reason as screen size. I will most probably stay with iPhone Classic, although if you really look at it, 4.6" in 16:9 format is not really that much bigger from 4" when carried in the pocket, but it can hold far more information on the screen. Almost 33% actually....

Exactly.

Samsung was able to put a 4.8" screen in a body that's not too much bigger than the 4" iPhone. I've felt both in my pocket and there's hardly a difference.

Apple needs to rethink the top and bottom bezels too... there's a lot of wasted space on the front.

I know it's part of their "iconic design" but still...

BTW... a larger 2272x1280 iPhone screen sounds amazing. Make it so!
  • Reply 13 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Exactly.

Samsung was able to put a 4.8" screen in a body that's not too much bigger than the 4" iPhone. I've felt both in my pocket and there's hardly a difference.

Apple needs to rethink the top and bottom bezels too... there's a lot of wasted space on the front.

I know it's part of their "iconic design" but still...

BTW... a larger 2272x1280 iPhone screen sounds amazing. Make it so!

the space around is there also for making casing rigid enough to protect the screen. Colleague at work just killed his S4 screen. Newer fell down or anything. Cases are twisting and killing the screen even without breaking the glass. They won't replace the crap. I believe iPhone 5 user is one the way :D

• Reply 14 of 50
    harmonharmon Posts: 48member
    (1) Can someone explain why Apple can buy and integrate 9.7" retina displays in the iPad and will presumably do the same with a 7.9" retina display in the iPad Mini 2 later this year but cannot procure a 4.5"-ish retina display in iPhone. Perhaps there is a legit reason, but I don't see it.

Tim Cook's explanations about color quality, white balance, reflectivity, etc. sound mostly like excuses not actual insurmountable technological issues. Yes, I understand battery life could be an issue but with more screen real estate comes more room for a larger battery. My iPad mini screen is much bigger but its battery life is much better than my iPhone 5.

(2) I think the time has passed when Apple can introduce "S" versions of phones that look identical to last year's model and expect sales growth. When 3GS came out there was no real competition. When 4S was introduced competition was beginning to heat up. Now there is plenty of competition.

I think Samsung dropped the ball when their S4 was not significantly cosmetically different than the S3 and was still made with cheap looking & feeling plastic. I would not expect them to make the same mistake with the S5. They own the lower end of the smartphone market. Look for them to try to go high end and take Apple head on.

(3) I have mixed feelings about a lower cost iPhone. I understand it sucks missing out on emerging markets, but I would hate for them to devalue the brand. Perhaps it should only be offered in China/India/etc.

(4) What I hope to see is Tim Cook introducing the 5S then when everyone think he's done, pop out the "one more thing" line and introduce either iPhone 6 or 5S with a bigger screen. Subsidized price for the bigger screen version could go up to $249 or even $299. Apple is a premium brand. People will pay more for the best.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    poksi wrote: »
    the space around is there also for making casing rigid enough to protect the screen. Colleague at work just killed his S4 screen. Newer fell down or anything. Cases are twisting and killing the screen even without breaking the glass. They won't replace the crap. I believe iPhone 5 user is one the way :D

Good point.

But I don't think Apple would have a problem making a rigid phone. They're pretty good at unibody construction!
  • Reply 16 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

how about putting a pineapple up your butt too?

That would kill Spongebob.

• Reply 17 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

Apple should immediately release larger iPhone to kill Samsung . Apple must address this ASAP!! Why does Apple give a gap to Samsung to live !!!

Apple isn't trying to be all things to all people. Unlike Samsung, which seems to have the every niche covered from 2.8" to 8" screens, in 0.2" increments. Just in case they missed a niche.

• Reply 18 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

(1) Can someone explain why Apple can buy and integrate 9.7" retina displays in the iPad and will presumably do the same with a 7.9" retina display in the iPad Mini 2 later this year but cannot procure a 4.5"-ish retina display in iPhone. Perhaps there is a legit reason, but I don't see it.

Tim Cook's explanations about color quality, white balance, reflectivity, etc. sound mostly like excuses not actual insurmountable technological issues. Yes, I understand battery life could be an issue but with more screen real estate comes more room for a larger battery. My iPad mini screen is much bigger but its battery life is much better than my iPhone 5.

(2) I think the time has passed when Apple can introduce "S" versions of phones that look identical to last year's model and expect sales growth. When 3GS came out there was no real competition. When 4S was introduced competition was beginning to heat up. Now there is plenty of competition.

I think Samsung dropped the ball when their S4 was not significantly cosmetically different than the S3 and was still made with cheap looking & feeling plastic. I would not expect them to make the same mistake with the S5. They own the lower end of the smartphone market. Look for them to try to go high end and take Apple head on.

(3) I have mixed feelings about a lower cost iPhone. I understand it sucks missing out on emerging markets, but I would hate for them to devalue the brand. Perhaps it should only be offered in China/India/etc.

(4) What I hope to see is Tim Cook introducing the 5S then when everyone think he's done, pop out the "one more thing" line and introduce either iPhone 6 or 5S with a bigger screen. Subsidized price for the bigger screen version could go up to $249 or even $299. Apple is a premium brand. People will pay more for the best.

1. Sure. Read my post above. Making 4x resolution on 4.6 demands something like 550dpi pixel. Not an easy one if you want to have quality screen. Current is 326dpi on iPhone 5 and only 264 on iPad4.

2. I thing Apple just needs to drop the numbers in the name, like they did iPad and Macs. I don't see a reason to change the case all over every year just to have it look differently. I have 4S, I am satisfied with gains over 4 and the same good case as well.

3. iPhone Cheaper will not be iPhone cheap. It will not devaluate the brand, it will make the brand stronger among those who feared the Apple being labeled as "expensive" and "overrated". many of them will later buy also a premium one. Many people considered macs before iPod as too expensive, but when they got their hands on iPod that had no match in price, they started to buy "overrated" macs as well..

4. I agree. I hope he does, but I understand it is not purely management decision. It's more technical.

• Reply 19 of 50
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

You know what would be incredible? If Apple can make insane battery improvements to the 5S, like they did with the latest Macbook Air. I think this, by itself, would be the most useful improvement. 

• Reply 20 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

The 3GS wiped Palm Pre off the map. The Pre, sporting a fresh-faced new webOS, was getting all the buzz. And Apple killed it with the 3GS.

The race to inflate screen sizes reminds me a bit of the trend to put oversized wheels with lower-profile tires on cars. Apple got to 20-inch "dubs," and everyone else is sporting 22s and 23s, so now there's the expectation that unless Apple participates in size one-upmanship, they're losers.

You seem to forget that Apple just released their first 4" phone back in October. "Oh no! It's not big enough! Not next to the competition. I have screen size envy! Apple must keep up! Apple must play the game everyone else is playing! Just look at these pictures! The 4" iPhone 5 looks so tiny! Apple's losing to Samsung!"

I personally don't understand equating big screens with "premium-ness." In the 80s, the Japanese electronics manufacturers were all about miniaturizing portable electronics. Even today, thin-and-light Ultrabooks are considered premium.