Apple TV update adds HBO Go, WatchESPN & more channels

124678

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 148
    rasimorasimo Posts: 61member
    blackbook wrote: »
    If only the HBO Go App didn't require a cable subscription...

    Why doesn't HBO set up their own paid subscription service, for those of us who would like to cut cable TV?

    HBO is owned by Time Warner, so I think that is unlikely to happen for now...
  • Reply 62 of 148
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post



    UltraViolet is the worst thing to happen to video media since Blu-ray discs.


     


    How exactly was Blu-ray discs bad for video media?


     


    As a studio, or producer of video media, it has given physical media a new life and allowed for physical media to be relevant still.  Blu-Ray sales were 28.5% higher in the first quarter this year than first quarter of 2012.  Spending on digital distribution jumped up 26% during that time (2.5% less for those doing math).  So as a producer, it is doing much better than DVDs alone would have.


     


    As a consumer, you get better 1080p than any digital distributor is offering, and substantially better sound.  When I pay $12.99 for Oz the great and powerful with a coupon ($20 without a coupon) on a AVC-encoded 1080p Blu Ray with 7.1 DTS-HD Audio, and also get a DVD and and iTunes HD version of it included- how is that a worse deal for me than just buying it off iTunes for $20?


     


    Will physical media outlast digital?  Of course not.  But Blu-Ray was an enormous tourniquet and a great move for both the consumer and studios.


     


    Please don't make anymore idiotic comments.

  • Reply 63 of 148
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    andysol wrote: »
    ...it has given physical media a new life and allowed for physical media to be relevant still.

    I'm sure you've heard the phrase 'prolonging the inevitable'. Why are you cheering on the stagnation of technology?
    Will physical media outlast digital?  Of course not.  But Blu-Ray was an enormous tourniquet...

    And that's all it was. The leg has been cut off. It's not going to grow back. Quit whining and start physical therapy already. If you hadn't put it off, the gangrene might not have set in and you'd have kept that side of your hip, too.

    The metaphor's starting to get a bit complicated, but you know what I'm saying. Without an incentive as powerful as Hollywood media to push the expansion of cheap, uncapped bandwidth... well, we haven't had it. And so we still have the cyclical argument of "Why push 1080p content over the Internet; there's not enough bandwidth for it," and "Why build out faster and cheaper Internet for anyone? There's no content that needs it in the first place."

    We'd all have 20 meg connections by now if Hollywood had decided on digital instead of the stopgap that is Blu-ray.
    Please don't make anymore idiotic comments.

    Hilarious.
  • Reply 64 of 148
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member



    Quote:



    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post



    We'd all have 20 meg connections by now if Hollywood had decided on digital instead of the stopgap that is Blu-ray.


    No, we wouldn't.  Digital has virtually no overhead and if the studios have as much power as you claim- why not just deliver it digitally and charge what they are charging for physical media currently?  I thought I told you already- please don't make idiotic comments.


     


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post


     


    How exactly was Blu-ray discs bad for video media?



    Instead of ignoring the facts that I put out on how Blu-Rays both benefited the producers and consumers- would you care to actually answer the question posed?


     


    It's definitely not good to see you back....

  • Reply 65 of 148
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I can hardly wait until Aereo comes to my area (this fall!). I don't watch sports much so with Aereo and its DVR service, Netflix and Hulu...not to mention using my friends HBO GO...this guy is canceling DirectTV and cutting the cord!
  • Reply 66 of 148
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    andysol wrote: »
    ...if the studios have as much power as you claim- why not just deliver it digitally and charge what they are charging for physical media currently?

    Because we don't have the bandwidth to do so right now. Are you paying attention at all?
    I thought I told you already- please don't make idiotic comments.

    No no no, you have to say it with force! With feeling! How is anyone supposed to believe you when you're basing your argument off of a reality that fundamentally wouldn't exist in this supposition?
    Instead of ignoring the facts that I put out on how Blu-Rays both benefited the producers and consumers- would you care to actually answer the question posed?

    I already answered the first one; choosing to ignore it doesn't mean it isn't there. As for the second, about content quality, that's also covered in my original answer. With the bandwidth to push said content, obviously the content would exist.

    Do I really need to go back through and lay it down for you? I'll draw a picture if I have to, but I'd have to hook my tablet back up. To recap:

    If you have the content creators actively pushing FOR bandwidth expansion rather than pushing AGAINST it, you wind up with, shocker, more bandwidth, thanks to lobbying and whatever else they do. FROM that, everything else falls into place. With the bandwidth to carry it, you'd see 1080p. With the bandwidth to carry it, you'd see 7.1 audio. I'm sorry, but I thought that just followed logically without needing to be stated. Blu-ray is the stopgap for that. It's a cheap way to get the "bandwidth" out to people because the telecoms refuse to do it themselves.
    It's definitely not good to see you back....

    There there. You lived before.
  • Reply 67 of 148
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post





    If you have the content creators actively pushing FOR bandwidth expansion rather than pushing AGAINST it, you wind up with, shocker, more bandwidth, thanks to lobbying and whatever else they do.


    Oh, ok.  So you have no idea and can't answer without just pulling a hypothetical out of your ass.

  • Reply 68 of 148
    chrisdf wrote: »
    They need to add NFL to their sports lineup.
    I completely agree. The only reason I pay for cable is for NFL, I'd love to end that.
  • Reply 69 of 148
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    customtb wrote: »
    Showtime is the only thing that keeps me at a high cable package.

    And risking being called a troll but... I wish AppleTV had Amazon Prime access. I already pay for that so for the free shipping and it just seems silly to also pay for Netflix.

    No. Many of us have Amazon Prime. I have AppleTV and Roku. AppleTV is much higher quality; more consistent (but far from perfect UI), more responsive, better picture quality.

    Netflix has far more content than Amazon Prime though.
  • Reply 70 of 148
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    andysol wrote: »
    Oh, ok.  So you have no idea and can't answer without just pulling a hypothetical out of your ass.

    Thanks for agreeing with the rest of my post, at any rate.
  • Reply 71 of 148
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post





    Thanks for agreeing with the rest of my post, at any rate.


    *yawn*- you mean the sentences you edited and added after I posted my response.  Ya..... I agree with that image

  • Reply 72 of 148


    sorta kinda Ultraviolet is more less a cloud storage where say you buy a movie like Blu-ray and you enter a code and able to stream the movie in the cloud, if apple wants to dance with the movie companies they might as well add ultraviolet suppost so that they people can have a choice in which format they want if they want to watch in the cloud ok if they want to watch a dvd or blu-ray copy ok

  • Reply 73 of 148
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by robertlowe79 View Post


    sorta kinda Ultraviolet is more less a cloud storage where say you buy a movie like Blu-ray and you enter a code and able to stream the movie in the cloud, if apple wants to dance with the movie companies they might as well add ultraviolet suppost so that they people can have a choice in which format they want if they want to watch in the cloud ok if they want to watch a dvd or blu-ray copy ok



    But the movie company would have to pay Apple.  They own Ultraviolet (Warner and others)- so it's free.  The studious would love for Apple to support UV, but it's a bad move for Apple because then they don't get paid for their digital copies they license with the movies.  It's also bad for me because I trust Apple/iTunes to not screw me with that digital copy over UV/Movie studios any day.


     


    My whole thought on why the media companies are slightly nervous is simply because once a movie is purchased digitally- it's there forever.  Whereas if they go from VHS to Laserdisc to DVD to Blu-Ray to Blu-ray 3D, etc.- you end up buying catalog titles over and over.  If Tallest would have mentioned this as why he thought Blu-Ray was bad for everyone, he would have sounded intelligent.  Of course, we all know he didn't say it, nor did he sound intelligent.


     


    However- the problem won't be fixed even when the studios eventually move to digital only- which will happen inevitably.  Just like they do with UV- they have a disclaimer that the titles are only valid for 2 years digitally.  Now, they aren't enforcing that currently- but they could at any moment.... and don't think they won't if it ever became the standard one day.  For now, I'll enjoy my media however I want.  If I want a superior presentation in my media room- Blu-Rays only.  If I just want to watch whatever or something on the go- iTunes, Netflix, HBO Go, or Amazon.


     


    And in terms of Tallest saying movie studios should force bandwidth to be expanded... thats literally the dumbest sentence I've ever seen uttered regarding this topic.  The sad truth is likely going to be that we will be all digital and physical media will be completely obsolete before bandwidth is expanded to support Blu Ray quality video and sound.  We will be hoping more encodings are developed that can get us to "good enough".  Convenience will overcome the slight increase in quality by that time.

  • Reply 74 of 148
    rraburrabu Posts: 256member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post



    If you have the content creators actively pushing FOR bandwidth expansion rather than pushing AGAINST it, you wind up with, shocker, more bandwidth, thanks to lobbying and whatever else they do. FROM that, everything else falls into place. With the bandwidth to carry it, you'd see 1080p. With the bandwidth to carry it, you'd see 7.1 audio. I'm sorry, but I thought that just followed logically without needing to be stated. Blu-ray is the stopgap for that. It's a cheap way to get the "bandwidth" out to people because the telecoms refuse to do it themselves.

    There there. You lived before.


    If it was that easy, I'm sure the content creators would have chosen it over blue-ray. After all, with digital they have way more control; the consumer can't lend a movie to their buddy, resell it on e-bay, or even pass it on to their loved ones once they are gone.... Blu-ray has these advantages for consumers (although I'm still not buying them)...

  • Reply 75 of 148

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NoTown View Post


    I agree. I've cut the cord and get the little bit of broadcast television I actually watch over a digital antenna. I would happily pay for HBO and Showtime if I didn't have to get the rest of the bloated package. Till then, I'll be illegally downloading Dexter, True Blood, etc., etc.



     


    Why would HBO create a sales team when they already have the massive sales forces of EVERY cable provider selling their product for them? Would it be nice to get HBO without the cable plan, sure, but you have to admit the staus quo is working pretty well for HBO.

  • Reply 76 of 148
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rrabu View Post


    If it was that easy, I'm sure the content creators would have chosen it over blue-ray. After all, with digital they have way more control; the consumer can't lend a movie to their buddy, resell it on e-bay, or even pass it on to their loved ones once they are gone.... Blu-ray has these advantages for consumers (although I'm still not buying them)...



    Don't question the all knowing.  :)


     


    I agree with you completely.  Additionally- he assumes that even if by some miracle that the bandwidth was expanded, that the consumer would be given a product on-par with or superior to Blu-Ray.  However; history has shown us this isn't true.  CDs still give a better bit rate than downloaded MP3s from iTunes, even though the bandwidth is there to support larger bitrate downloads.  Like I said the first time, he just pulled it out of his ass with nothing to back it up.

  • Reply 77 of 148
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 582member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post




     


     


    I like Prime but can't compare it to Netflix as I haven't used Netflix in awhile. When I did use Netflix it was on a wii and the quality stunk.


     


    You can't Airplay Prime and computer downloads are lower quality so to stream Prime I bought the Roku 3 for $99.99. Great quality pic although set up was a pain and it takes a minute to buffer the show on my 3 Mbps connection. The picture quality is apparently adjusted to meet your connection speed.


     


    Prime selection is decent. Free movies and shows are mostly older with some newer ones mixed in. We've been watching Downton Abbey for free on Prime. I think now Exclusive to Prime for streaming. It runs $15-20/season on iTunes.


     


    Amazon is also coming out with some original content. Looks decent so far. Haven't watched netflix's house of cards.


     


    When I'm stuck buying something I skip Amazon and get it on iTunes for AppleTV,iPad etc.



    Thanks! The requirement for Airplay is the deal breaker for me. I can Airplay, but there's too much lag and the picture quality is not great. Maybe after I upgrade to 802.11ac from n for all my hardware I'll give it a shot. I recently gave up Netflix after I watched all of House of Cards because there was so little I wanted to watch. I switched to Hulu+ because there are more network shows and of course, the Criterion Collection. Having Hulu+ and Netflix didn't make much sense to me, so Amazon Prime might not make much sense right now-I don't do that much buying from Amazon.

  • Reply 78 of 148
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Fixed so it's less insulting.
    How is the headline "insulting"? :\
  • Reply 79 of 148
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,227member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post





    You are not the only one who feels that way.

    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones


     


    Exept that Game of Thrones IS available on itunes, I bought the 2 seasons in french in itunes. On the other hand, I am not sure the latest season in available while its playing on HBO.


     


    Currently, I am watching in it english while its playing on HBO and I watch the french version to recap just before the next season begins.

  • Reply 80 of 148
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,611member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post





    We'd all have 20 meg connections by now if Hollywood had decided on digital instead of the stopgap that is Blu-ray.

     


     


    LOLWUT? I've heard you say some pretty off the wall stuff before, but this probably takes the cake? Hollywood has little to do with the expansion of broadband penetration/speeds in this country. Unless you live on either coast or are in a large metropolitan area, you're probably SOL when it comes to high-speed internet choices, and that has nothing to do with Hollywood.

Sign In or Register to comment.