Apple wins $30 million iPad contract from LA school district [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    The second-largest school system in the U.S., the L.A. Unified School District, has awarded Apple with a $30 million contract to provide iPads to every student it serves [updated with comment from Apple].

The deal was approved by the district's board in a unanimous vote on Tuesday, <a href="http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lausd-chooses-ipads-for-pilot-20130618,0,6957151.story">according to</a> the <em>Los Angeles Times</em>. The district will pay $678 per device, and the iPads will come preloaded with educational software.

So Apple's stock drops 1% today.

Meanwhile, Microsoft gives way 10,000 units for $200 ($2 million) each and everyone's raving.
    ebergh wrote: »
    "The second-largest school system in the U.S., the L.A. Unified School District, has awarded Apple with a $30 million contract to provide iPads to every student it serves.."

"... the iPad will be used by students at 47 campuses in the L.A. Unified School District..."

Something about this story does not! According to the district website, " LAUSD enrolls more than 640,000 students.... at over 900 schools, and 187 public charter schools"

That certainly doesn't sound like they are buying an iPad for EVERY student if they are only sending them out to 47 sites!
    -eb

The article said that this is the first phase of a larger rollout. So the total is going to be much more than $30 M and presumably involve more than the 47 sites they're starting with.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I thought with parallax and UIDynamics iOS 7 would be more animated and 3D than any other version of iOS? Also, how so we know page turning animation was turned off in iOS 7? And even if it was, how may kids would notice? I highly doubt they'll care that the bookshelf is no longer faux wood grain.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    yazolightyazolight Posts: 118member

678$, isnt it a bit expensive? 

• Reply 44 of 73
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yazolight View Post

We don't know exactly which model they are talking about, maybe it's 32GB or 64GB and it does say that they come preloaded with a bunch of educational software on them. And maybe there are also some accessories included. And what about Applecare? That's probably included too.

• Reply 45 of 73
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought with parallax and UIDynamics iOS 7 would be more animated and 3D than any other version of iOS? Also, how so we know page turning animation was turned off in iOS 7? And even if it was, how may kids would notice? I highly doubt they'll care that the bookshelf is no longer faux wood grain.

I don't know about you, but I absolutely love the Books app and the wood. How does it hurt? It gives context, solidity, and a better feeling that you actually own those things. Why would a white background be any better? I hope they don't replace it with the trash interface thats the new Newsstand. 

• Reply 46 of 73

And this deal was approved by a 6-0 vote! There were obviously no Fandroids sitting on that school board! Good for them!

• Reply 47 of 73
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yazolight View Post

This is the problem with freetard remarks like these.  Do you think one can unwrap a new iPad and just give it to a student for automatic use in school?  There's software and services that need to be included and that has a cost.  It also includes maintenance and accident protection too.  Jeez... this gets old when people have zero clue.

• Reply 48 of 73
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgirlfeelsold View Post

Can you elaborate on the sustainable part? Because buying devices that obsolesce every five years or so seems unsustainable.

Look at how long paper textbooks last.

Digital publication is far superior. And given the cost per textbook, cheaper as well.

• Reply 49 of 73
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

30 million is pocket change to Apple, it's like you finding a buck in the street.

And then :via Wiki: During the 2011-2012 school year, LAUSD served 662,140 students times $678..... starts to be very real money. Not to mention early exposure has a large influence on future purchasing choices....

• Reply 50 of 73

Not sure why the article states that Apple was also the cheapest.  I find that hard to believe. 

Also - anyone heard what is going on with Turkey making their decision to buy ipads?

• Reply 51 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applehawk View Post

Also - anyone heard what is going on with Turkey making their decision to buy ipads?

Hopefully it's dead, because they had demanded that the devices be built in that country. Screw that and screw them. And besides, they probably have a few other problems to worry about now, with all of the protests going on.

• Reply 52 of 73
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

The Redmond, Wash., software company argued that most businesses use Microsoft platforms, and Windows tablets would be a good way to expose students to those devices.

It's about time we put that tired argument to bed.

• Reply 53 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    chabig wrote: »
    It's about time we put that tired argument to bed.

No, they're 100% correct. Except "expose" in this sense is more like...

• Reply 54 of 73
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And this deal was approved by a 6-0 vote! There were obviously no Fandroids sitting on that school board! Good for them!

Many years ago my local school district decided to "go Windows." I remember the public meeting where some poser techie dads were yammering on about how their children needed to use "real" computers instead of Macs. I can see those same types being apoplectic that LA didn't choose a "real" tablet that runs Office.

• Reply 55 of 73
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

30 million is pocket change to Apple, it's like you finding a buck in the street.

"The $30 million commitment for iPads is the first phase of a larger roll out for the country’s second-largest public school district." (from Apple's press release).

It's going to end up being worth a lot more than $30 million.

• Reply 56 of 73
    yazolightyazolight Posts: 118member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This is the problem with freetard remarks like these.  Do you think one can unwrap a new iPad and just give it to a student for automatic use in school?  There's software and services that need to be included and that has a cost.  It also includes maintenance and accident protection too.  Jeez... this gets old when people have zero clue.

Sorry to hear your dog just died being hit by a car, your wife cheated on you with the postman and your kid just repudiated you, what a bad day you had. I will understand and forgive you for being a little on the nerves :)

• Reply 57 of 73
    hankkhankk Posts: 4member
    > [The LAUSD] has awarded Apple with a $30 million contract to provide iPads to every student it serves.

No, that's not what this is. LAUSD has over 1000 schools. This is just for 47 campuses. This is a pilot program which will give iPads to a few schools.
  • Reply 58 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The second-largest school system in the U.S., the L.A. Unified School District, has awarded Apple with a $30 million contract to provide iPads to every student it serves [updated with comment from Apple].

The deal was approved by the district's board in a unanimous vote on Tuesday, according to the Los Angeles Times. The district will pay $678 per device, and the iPads will come preloaded with educational software.

Update: Later Wednesday, Apple issued a press release touting the board's decision to exclusively adopt the iPad for classroom use. The company also noted that the $30 million deal is the first phase of a larger roll-out for the Los Angeles school district.

< snip >

The contract is so significant that Apple's rival Microsoft got involved, asking the district to pilot more than one product and consider its Windows devices. The Redmond, Wash., software company argued that most businesses use Microsoft platforms, and Windows tablets would be a good way to expose students to those devices.

District staff, however, declared Apple's iPad the superior product. They said it wouldn't be fair to require some students to use a different, lesser product than the iPad.

iPad sales to educational institutions have become increasingly common as tablets have grown in popularity. Data from last year demonstrated that Apple's iPad is definitively replacing sales of traditional PCs in education.

iPad adoption isn't limited to grade school either. An initiative at Arkansas State University will require all incoming students to have an iPad as of this fall.

The $30 million dollar deal is only Phase I of the contract and only represents about 44,000 iPads. Since the Unified School District has a total of 640,000 students, the total purchase, over time, will be closer to a half a billion dollars. No wonder Uncle Fester was so interested in the contract.

This has got to burn Uncle Fester's ass hairs. Microsoft is giving away 10,000 unsaleable SurfaceRTs at a huge school administrator's event this summer, while Apple is SELLING many times that number for a healthy profit. 

Besides the LAUSD telling Uncle Fester to "stuff it," they went on to call it a lesser quality tablet. Ouch! Talk about putting the Surface RT in its place!!

• Reply 59 of 73
    andysol wrote: »
    But they could have had twice as many surfaces with keyboard covers! :no:

This:
    "The Board voted unanimously for Apple because iPad rated the best in quality, was the least expensive option and received the highest scoring by the review panel that included students and teachers," said Jaime Aquino, LAUSD Deputy Superintendent of Instruction.

"Unanimously". Let that sink in, Microsoft.
  • Reply 60 of 73

Steve Jobs commands: