Inside iOS 7: iBeacons enhance apps' location awareness via Bluetooth LE

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    "Another example (using iBeacons), trumpeted by ad network Adomaly, targets shoppers with a system designed to "continuously broadcasting ads to users phones," in what the company claims is the "first mobile ad network built on Apple iBeacon & Sonic sBeacon technology." :err:
  • Reply 22 of 36
    otriotri Posts: 13member
    While Apple's BLE support is excellent, I've created a couple apps with it, I sincerely hope Apple finally adopts NFC as well. There are practical applications of talking digitally in near proximity to a device without need for a battery.

NFC tagging all kinds of goods and materials, so you can expedite workflow or getting more details is actually quite helpful. Barcode scanning is a useful tool here, but often flexible materials make it hard, and visibility of a barcode can be unsightly. You're also limited by barcode encoding taking up proportionally more space for longer bits of data like a particular URL.

The Bump app (except for it's awful behaviour of trying to take over the world) is actually a spectacular example of near field communication that gets kicked off with a physical bump, well NFC does trigger its action better and more pervasively. You don't need the app up and running, and a simple URL can do amazing things.

Apple is indeed making the interaction between devices seamless with both BLE4 Central and Peripheral profiles on device and running in background. Unfortunately both of you need the right app.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Hey guys, if you're interested in this stuff you should check out my kickstarter. Me and my team built a BLE Arduino that will let anyone play around with this sort of technology. http://lava.io

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/495099991/ember-and-torch-apps-meet-arduino
  • Reply 24 of 36
    siburbsiburb Posts: 1member
    Google have also announced official support for BLE in the next version of Android, so maybe even they are losing faith in NFC. Although it will probably be 2016 before anybody actually has that on their devices.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Apple has every alternative to NFC to bad the iPhone 4 and IPad 2 are left out on this feature.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In more general terms, the feature can also be used enable indoor navigation similar to GPS in settings such as an airport or underground subway station...

I live in NYC, and it would be cool to have iBeacons at every station so that you could track where you are on a mapped out route.

Then, I could set my iPhone to notify me one station before I need to get off and take a nap.

• Reply 27 of 36
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    siburb wrote: »
    Google have also announced official support for BLE in the next version of Android, so maybe even they are losing faith in NFC.

This just show how shit Google's vision is, and their shills' are. But make no mistake. If and when they manage to one-ups Apple on the Bluetooth spec just wait for Android shills crawling out of the ground to cry Google's innovation yet again.
  • Reply 28 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurb View Post

Google have also announced official support for BLE in the next version of Android, so maybe even they are losing faith in NFC. Although it will probably be 2016 before anybody actually has that on their devices.

Then that would mean that IOS has always been far more committed more to NFC than Android.

Bluetooth support on Android is comprehensive compared to Apple's quite selective support. 

• Reply 29 of 36
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Apple has every alternative to NFC to bad the iPhone 4 and IPad 2 are left out on this feature.

The iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are both on the verge of becoming obsolete.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

The iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are both on the verge of becoming obsolete.

You are right...they are both still great products....but very close to EOL......

• Reply 31 of 36

Some very very strange questions such as battery life etc.

NFC is a powerless technology, completely different to bluetooth.

They really cannot be compared.

The other thing to note is that bluetooth has loads and loads of profiles which for commerial reasons Apple restricts.

This reason is why those $10 bluetooth GPS will never work on iPods. You need a jailbreak and a new bluetooth stack.

• Reply 32 of 36
    The user is till required to turn on BT, correct? So services Adomaly won't work for most users since AFAIK most people leave BT off. Especially on iPhone, where no one seems to be using BT headsets.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Can any one please clear my doubts?

In case of Location based marketing, to receive the ads by the end user, do we need an application?

If that is the case, if the user doesn't have the app in his/her device, our notification won't reach them. right?

Please correct me, if my understanding is wrong.

Thanks.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    babubabu Posts: 3member
    good observation and we also added some points about Apple%u2019s First iBeacon Location Made Public
    Apple%u2019s First iBeacon
  • Reply 35 of 36
    good observation and we also added some points about Apple%u2019s First iBeacon Location Made Public
    Apple%u2019s First iBeacon
  • Reply 36 of 36

Good points and we also added some points about Apple’s First iBeacon