Apple releases first OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion beta to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Less than one month after debuting OS X 10.8.4, Apple on Wednesday seeded the first OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion beta build to developers, with the latest maintenance update possibly looking to stabilize the operating system ahead of an OS X 10.9 Mavericks launch this fall.

12F9

People familiar with the beta, dubbed build 12F9, said Apple is asking developers to focus on existing Mountain Lion features, including Wi-Fi and graphics.

The latest beta comes two weeks after Apple issued the OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4 maintenance update to Mac users, which brought Wi-Fi improvements, compatibility with Microsoft Exchange and a host of bug fixes.

Apple is expected to release the next-generation OS X 10.9 Mavericks this fall, and a preview has already been seeded to the development community.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I'm really looking forward to 10.10
  • Reply 2 of 11
    japmjapm Posts: 36member

Sorry, but I really hate those kind of "articles".

First beta of the fifth dot update....like WHO CARES?

Such non information.

• Reply 3 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    japm wrote: »

Such non information.

Well it's useful for some of us with dev accounts as I haven't even had an email from Apple yet so this was the first I knew, so grabbing it now. Sorry it wastes space on your screen.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by japm View Post

Such non information.

Yes, but we all clicked the link--and that's what matters to ad-supported media.

• Reply 5 of 11
    ciacia Posts: 252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by japm View Post

Such non information.

Hmmmmm.... This is a Apple news/rumor site, and the story is Apple related, so I fail to see what the problem is here.  If you don't like reading little tidbits about what's going on with Apple, perhaps this isn't the site for you.  If you just want coverage of the big Apple news that only happens every so often perhaps CNN, or The Guardian websites would be better suited for someone of your interest level in Apple products.

I for one am happy to see this item, as it shows that just because 10.9 is around the corner, Apple isn't just stopping all 10.8 development.  No new features probably will be added, but nice to see them still fixing outstanding bugs.

• Reply 6 of 11

Steve Jobs says:

• Reply 7 of 11
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Did they re-fix the "A plugin process attempted to access a secure website" issue when using a limited account with parental controls (that they fixed in 10.8.1 but re-broke in 10.8.2)?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322178?start=0&tstart=0

• Reply 8 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Told'ja. Knew this would be out roundabout now.

Oh, and there are also updates to iAd Producer and Apple Configurator today.

For Mavericks users, the App Store notification is changed. I rather like it! Very personable.
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/27172/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 9 of 11
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Told'ja. Knew this would be out roundabout now.

Oh, and there are also updates to iAd Producer and Apple Configurator today.

For Mavericks users, the App Store notification is changed. I rather like it! Very personable.

Needs a "Remind me in a week or two, after everyone else has found it to be stable" option. 

• Reply 10 of 11
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Problem with the 10.9 dialog: have to manually open AppStore to see WHAT is being updated. The idea that I'd have ANYTHING installed without knowing first what it is, is repulsive.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    rcfa wrote: »
    Problem with the 10.9 dialog: have to manually open AppStore to see WHAT is being updated. The idea that I'd have ANYTHING installed without knowing first what it is, is repulsive.
    I want to know what is installed!

So the IPad developers are waiting, next are Mac I'm guessing for major fall releases