Rumor: Samsung to supply 7.9" Retina displays for Apple's next iPad mini this year

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnbiasedDave View Post

I work in a financial organisation - I'd certainly not call the VPs and Directors toting HTC Ones and Samsung 4s unable to afford to Apple ecosystem!

Don't kid yourself. You must be some sweeper there who do not know what big guys own!

• Reply 22 of 34
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Reality happened.

There were originally, very good reasons why Apple did so much business with Samsung.  They were/are the world leaders at manufacturing complex devices in high volumes, of high quality, at competitive prices.

Those fundamental truths didn't go away just because Apple had a hissy fit.

Someone has realised that cutting off your nose, to spite your face, isn't a sound business practice and doesn't maximise profit.

I suspect Apple has already had to secretly eat crow with the 15" Retina pro fiasco.  Lots of those very expensive machines that had LG displays had to be replaced under warranty with ones with Samsung made panels.

i think you are correct...they want to move away from Samsung but can't because there is no one able to produce the parts they need in the quality and quantity they need...... 

I think it is quite funny when people bash Samsung and call them trash......as they type or speak/call text and so forth on their Apple device made with Samsung parts....

• Reply 23 of 34
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    hope they can get a GPU strong enough in the Mini to not run that high of a resolution horribly... and not kill the battery life as well.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

So they don't quite hate each other as much as everybody thought? This is good - Apple should always keep its own interests above any rivalry with another company.

First off, this is a rumor. Second, business is business. "Hate" doesn't factor into it.

• Reply 25 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Don't kid yourself. You must be some sweeper there who do not know what big guys own!

You don't make it to Walmart very often do you?  There are poor people left and right who own iPhones.  Thanks to America's reliance of carrier subsidies, Apple products can be had for free.  There is no exclusivity there.

• Reply 26 of 34
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Apple isn't asking Samsung to build chips Apple has designed... or custom ASICs... this (if true) would be stock glass.   The big issue in the past was Samsung effectively 'learning' how Apple was optimizing ARM for iOS/touch devices for it's mobile product line, and the chinese wall (pardon the pun) between the chip division and the mobile division wasn't as impermeable as Apple had requested.  

Oh really?  Can you name the ARM optimisations Samsung copied/learned from Apple?

• Reply 27 of 34
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    cnocbui wrote: »

Reality happened.

There were originally, very good reasons why Apple did so much business with Samsung.  They were/are the world leaders at manufacturing complex devices in high volumes, of high quality, at competitive prices.

Those fundamental truths didn't go away just because Apple had a hissy fit.
    Someone has realised that cutting off your nose, to spite your face, isn't a sound business practice and doesn't maximise profit.

I suspect Apple has already had to secretly eat crow with the 15" Retina pro fiasco.  Lots of those very expensive machines that had LG displays had to be replaced under warranty with ones with Samsung made panels.

Childish. Apple had to sue Samsung. They also have to use Samsung parts. Simple. Nothing to do with spite, nothing to do with your hissy fit.
  • Reply 28 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

Well it's not bad that Apple uses samsung panels.

I think the worst part of this will be dozens of fandroids laughing at you just because it uses a samsung panel...

We all might hate Samsung but truth is Apple did not invented Retina display technology, Apple is only using it. We also have to understand that it is nothing personal (some members and moderators here should, but do not, understand), it is all about business/money.

• Reply 29 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    andrzejls wrote: »
    We all might hate Samsung but truth is Apple did not invented Retina display technology, Apple is only using it. We also have to understand that it is nothing personal (some members and moderators here should, but do not, understand), it is all about business/money.

What, exactly, are you trying to troll about? Just stop beating around the bush and come out with it. Is anyone actually claiming this, or do you enjoy making up delusions to suit an anti-Apple bent?
  • Reply 30 of 34

I'm a little confused by the statement that Samsung is making a 9.7" screen "with thin bezels" for the iPad 5th gen - the screen in the current generation iPad (and 3rd gen) have thin bezels. It's Apple's aluminum case that adds thick bezels.

I hope the 5th gen iPad doesn't trim down the bezels. I've held tablets with thin bezels before, and it's a pain trying not to touch the screen while holding them.

• Reply 31 of 34
    dp9876dp9876 Posts: 7member
    relations between Apple and Samsung Display are alleged to have improved,

the Parents are fighting while the children are sleeping together - they are the ones making all the money
    in smart phones why should we worry - they are not giving any one of you a slice of the pie
  • Reply 32 of 34
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member

Looks like sanity prevailed and the tensions between Apple & Samsung have cooled. Not a bad thing. Look at Apple and Microsoft and compare their current relationship to that of 10-20 years ago.

• Reply 33 of 34
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Looks like sanity prevailed and the tensions between Apple & Samsung have cooled. Not a bad thing. Look at Apple and Microsoft and compare their current relationship to that of 10-20 years ago.

Except that this rumor has been weakened by the retraction of retina displays on the iPad Mini...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/19/analyst-recants-claim-that-apple-will-add-retina-display-to-ipad-mini-before-2014

all in all, this is just the rumor mill working on half baked claims and needing to churn the muck to get attention to particular equity positions.

• Reply 34 of 34
    jpvnjpvn Posts: 40member
    Like with there tv's that change model every 3 months, they will have a 3" 4" 5" 6" 7" 8" 9" 10" 11" screen size model..