Samsung shows off range of new Android phones, hedges bets with Windows 8 devices

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Samsung on Thursday showed of a range of new devices for both Microsoft?s Windows 8 and Google?s Android platforms, though the South Korean giant?s choices appear to show that it is very much hedging its bets when it comes to Microsoft?s newest operating system.

samsung

Samsung unveiled a total of nine new devices on Thursday: four in its Android-powered Galaxy line, and five in its Windows 8-powered Ativ line. With the exception of one device, the Galaxy products were all expansions on the company?s Galaxy S4 flagship handset. All of the Galaxy devices bore the Galaxy S4 brand, though most had very different specifications from Samsung?s recently released ?life companion.?

The Android devices Samsung introduced on Thursday include the photography-centric Galaxy S4 Zoom, which packs a 10x optical zoom; the Galaxy S4 Active, which is waterproof and dust-proof; and the Galaxy S4 mini, which sports the same design as Samsung's recently revealed flagship handset, but in a smaller package and with scaled-down specs.

Samsung also revealed a new, Android-powered camera with an interchangeable lens. The 4G LTE-capable Galaxy NX runs Android 4.2.2 "Jelly Bean" on a 4.3-inch touchscreen display, and it is the successor to the Galaxy Camera, which the South Korean tech giant introduced just last year. Unlike the Galaxy Camera, though, the Galaxy NX can attach to more than a dozen interchangeable lenses Samsung has already introduced for its NX line of mirrorless cameras.

On the Windows end, Samsung's presentation was geared toward the notebook and tablet segment. Headlining the Windows segment was the Ativ Q, an 8.2mm thick Windows tablet that weighs just 1.2 pounds. That device, which folds open to reveal a slim keyboard, runs both Windows 8 and Android 4.2.2 on an unspecified Haswell processor from Intel.

Also notable about the Ativ Q: its screen resolution. The 13.3-inch convertible device packs a resolution of 3200x1800.

Samsung also showed off an Intel Atom-powered Ativ Tab 3, a 10.1-inch device similar to the company's line of Galaxy Tab devices. Thursday also saw the debut of the Ativ One 5 Style, an all-in-one desktop PC running Windows 8 on a 1920x1080 touchscreen.

Two notebooks rounded out Samsung's presentation, the Ativ Book 9 Plus and the Ativ Book 9 Lite. The Plus features a 13.3-inch 3200x1800 qHD+ multitouch display with an Intel Core i5 or Core i7 Hawell processor, giving it up to 12 hours of battery life. The Lite has the same size display, but it outputs at 1366x768 and features an AMD A6 quad-core chip.

Notably absent from the presentation were any smartphones running Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 OS. Samsung does manufacture devices on Microsoft's phone platform, but the OS's slow rate of adoption was highlighted by the fact that Samsung devoted no time to the OS.

Also absent was Windows RT, the ARM-targeted variant of Windows, which Microsoft unveiled at the same time as Windows 8. Windows RT has struggled even more than Windows 8, though, due to its being comparatively underpowered and somewhat confusing to consumers. Samsung already nixed one device that was supposed to run the platform, and a Samsung rep on stage Thursday made sure to point out that the Windows devices the company was showing off were running the "full Windows, not Windows RT."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Samsung clearly takes great pride and care in every product it makes, based on the sheer amount that it can shit out at any given time.
  • Reply 2 of 70
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    Sounds like Windows RT is officially DOA
  • Reply 3 of 70
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    1. No wonder [S]this[/S] their country is divided in North and South; their database with device names became too large and had to be split.

2. Is that an iMac in that picture?
  • Reply 4 of 70
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

I wonder what is the market for an 4G LTE camera running Android. 

• Reply 5 of 70
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Well, this could explain them cutting component orders, if they are using different components in different variations of the S4.

• Reply 6 of 70
    trd105trd105 Posts: 13member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

I wonder what is the market for an 4G LTE camera running Android. 

Or any 4G LTE camera in general.

• Reply 7 of 70
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Shot gun approach. Introducing the Galaxy S XXS for little people, Galaxy S XXXL for giants, and the Galaxy S IVXLCM for Roman numeral lovers.
  • Reply 8 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Their laser like focus on quality products is impressive. ... oh wait a minute
  • Reply 9 of 70
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    APPLEinsider?
  • Reply 10 of 70
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Apple should make a Mac-tablet (400 to 600 g).
  • Reply 11 of 70
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

They took an iMac, gutted it, made it into a PC, and then had to make the stand bigger to handle all the extra weight.

• Reply 12 of 70
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    appex wrote: »

Good earth, why?

Are you the poster that's always clammoring for this? It will never, ever, happen.
  • Reply 13 of 70
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Smells like "losing".

• Reply 14 of 70
    I doubt we will be seeing 10 hour battery life in that 13.3 inch Atvi Q.
  • Reply 15 of 70
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

Android fans are always raving about how you should buy android devices... but I see no compelling reasons here.  Ok, they made a bunch of devices that are mildly differentiated. 

Phone with a 10x zoom?  Sorry, I have a real camera.   The phone camera is for convenience.  I don't want a bulky odd shaped phone just for the occasional photo. 

I saw a commercial where a guy was watching a video and kept nodding off and the video would pause when he nodded off.  Oh, gee, that's a life changer there!

Personally, I'm more creeped out at the idea of my phone videotaping me constantly.... in this day and age of NSA data collection, etc. 

So, what's the point? 

• Reply 16 of 70
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

Android fans are always raving about how you should buy android devices... but I see no compelling reasons here.  Ok, they made a bunch of devices that are mildly differentiated. 

Phone with a 10x zoom?  Sorry, I have a real camera.   The phone camera is for convenience.  I don't want a bulky odd shaped phone just for the occasional photo. 

I saw a commercial where a guy was watching a video and kept nodding off and the video would pause when he nodded off.  Oh, gee, that's a life changer there!

Personally, I'm more creeped out at the idea of my phone videotaping me constantly.... in this day and age of NSA data collection, etc. 

So, what's the point? 

Android phones are becoming the new "feature phones".

• Reply 17 of 70
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

No kidding. That picture looks like an Apple ad. Scratch, scratch, scratch... now just scibble in "Samsung" and viola!

• Reply 18 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

How about a 15" iPad running a successor to iOS? OS X will NEVER work on a touchscreen.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Wrong specifications. Check out:

Samsung unveils super hi-resolution ATIV Q and ultra-light ATIV Tab 3 Windows 8 tablets

http://www.wpcentral.com/comment/432547

• Reply 20 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Samsung unveils super hi-resolution ATIV Q and ultra-light ATIV Tab 3 Windows 8 tablets

9 hours of battery.
    Running Windows 8.
    At that resolution.
    On an Intel i5.
    In a tablet.

Also, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's a reason Apple put the keyboard in the back 20 years ago, guys. But I guess since it's a "tablet" and not a real laptop you don't have to follow ergonomic principles.