Sony teases new smart watch as Apple 'iWatch' speculation lingers

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sony has begun hyping the debut of a smart watch wrist-worn accessory at next week's Mobile Asia Expo, potentially expanding its role in a nascent market that Apple is also rumored to be eyeing.

Sony

Amongst other promotional Twitter posts advertising products from the Xperia line of devices, Sony's official Xperia account reminded users this week of the company's heritage with "wearable tech" ? namely, the Walkman. The tweets also mention their existing wearable Android device, the SmartWatch, calling it the "only wearable device with 200 #firstgen apps on @GooglePlay."

The Japanese electronics maker then tweeted a statistic that found found that one in three people are looking for a wrist watch that would pair with their smartphone.

Though potential watches from Apple, Google and Samsung have made headlines for many months, Sony has been offering a watch product since 2007. In 2010 the company released the Sony Ericsson LiveView, a device which was panned by most critics and did not feature a touch display.

Last year Sony replaced the LiveView with the Xperia SmartWatch, a device which pairs with Android devices running the LiveView app and can run other apps from the Google Play Store.

Sony's Tweets suggest the next watch to be released could fit in the existing Xperia lineup. One of the Tweets relives the timeline of these products: "Pocket watch / wristwatch / digital watch / LiveView / SmartWatch / ? #itstime #MAE13."

An earlier Tweet simply reads: "Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock #itstime #MAE13" and is accompanied by a picture of the existing Xperia SmartWatch.

Wearable Device
AppleInsider was first to discover an Apple patent filing describing a watch design with flexible display.

Save for a few comments from Tim Cook during the 2013 All Things D conference where he called the idea of a wearable device "interesting," there has been no official word about an Apple-branded wrist watch. There have, however, been several reports citing people familiar with the matter who claim Apple is working on a device that's been dubbed an "iWatch."

Noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities indicated last month that Apple is allegedly planning to launch its own smart watch in late 2014 that will integrate with iOS devices like the iPhone. He believes the device will sport a screen size between 1.5 and 2 inches, and will focus on utilizing biometric data collected from the user.

The smart watch space has been heating up with options like the Pebble, MetaWatch, I'm Watch, and existing Sony Smartwatch currently available. Reports have claimed Google, Samsung, Microsoft and LG are also working on new wrist-worn hardware accessories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Still won't buy one, be it Apple or Sony. I don't wear a watch, and I can't see absolutely any reason to when I have my iPhone. Perhaps I'm not a a futurist with some grandiose vision how a smart watch is suddenly going to improve my life, I just don't see a hidden market demand for it.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    shighshigh Posts: 27member
    Ill buy one. Then i wont have to pull my phone out as much. But im waiting for apple. I have an iphone. Apple tv. Ipad. I have already invested in the ecosystem.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Japanese electronics maker then tweeted a statistic that found found that one in three people are looking for a wrist watch that would pair with their smartphone.

Seriously?

Did they ask more than three people?

• Reply 4 of 34
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

Still won't buy one, be it Apple or Sony. I don't wear a watch, and I can't see absolutely any reason to when I have my iPhone. Perhaps I'm not a a futurist with some grandiose vision how a smart watch is suddenly going to improve my life, I just don't see a hidden market demand for it.

I had very similar sentiments when Steve Jobs introduced the iPod and we were screaming for Mac computer updates.  

And while I have never owned an iPod and never purchased one single song from iTunes, it seems a lot others have and has been very good, financially, for Apple.

I too, don't wear a watch, don't intend to with iWatch, but who knows there may be a lot others who will...

• Reply 5 of 34
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

I didn't see the point of the iPad before it was released, now the iPad mini is my ideal device.  (iPhone is too small, iPad is too heavy).

I don't wear a watch either, and probably won't start, but maybe Apple has a compelling use case for it that will convince me. 

I'm open minded, but see no reason to consider anything from google/motorola or sony.  And the pebble seems like a joke.  Sorry, don't want an e-ink display. 

• Reply 6 of 34
    I have a Pebble on pre-order and would get the rumored iWatch. But I think I'm in the minority on this as I have two very specific reasons for using it. 1. The vibrating alarm. My wife is a teacher so it will be nice to have a silent alarm while she's off during the summer. 2. Linking to my iphone to play and control music and Runkeeper while I'm running and biking.

Again, I seem like a niche market and I can't see these things going mainstream, but Apple usually suprises with a new product line.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    I wear a watch. Can't live without it. But I also destroy watches (few last me more than two years, and that would be the Casio GShock variety); I'm just too clumsy and rough on then -- banging them against walls, tables, gear, car doors, etc.

I'm not the market for a fragile >$200 watch whose display I'd probably smash within a few days of owning it.

Also, my watches are good to 100' (or better). I'm sure the iWatch (or whatever) will probably have those moisture sensors that my body sweat would probably activate on a hot, busy, day.

Too bad. I could probably use the features. I really like the idea (especially if Apple makes it look nice and not geeky like most such devices out there). I could even live with having to charge it every day. But unless I can be convinced it's indestructible, no thanks.

I hate being pessimistic. Would love to see the tech work out for me (I'd even love to have Google Glass if it didn't look so damn geeky/borgish). Not holding my breath, however.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Be there an iWach from Apple or not, what to me is so hilarious is how these Apple wannabes (not just Sony obviously) work their asses off coming up with whatever the rumor mill has it that Apple is coming out with next. Seriously, Apple should have a secret group that makes fake mock ups, applies for patents and seeds fake code in OS X and iOS pointing to the next tech-disruption products they are NOT working on just for the laughs.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    rot'napple wrote: »

I had very similar sentiments when Steve Jobs introduced the iPod and we were screaming for Mac computer updates.  

And while I have never owned an iPod and never purchased one single song from iTunes, it seems a lot others have and has been very good, financially, for Apple.

I too, don't wear a watch, don't intend to with iWatch, but who knows there may be a lot others who will...

I'll be one who buys assuming it doesn't look like a this Sony POS

Watches are classic and have been around for a very long time.

The pocket watch evolved to a wristwatch. A very convenient way to tell time which became a fashion statement and a piece of jewelry.

What we've learned is that there is real estate on the wrist that is easy to see and and operate and can be fashionable as well.

It doesn't obstruct movement or require much to operate and view.

If apple can make a design that is pleasing to wear, operate, and look at, then they will once again change another industry.

This could be big if done right.

Every watch company would most likely have a model that could communicate with your phone in the future.

Lets not be too
    Closed minded about this possibility.

We just haven't been shown the proper set up yet and this Sony version is not it.

It Can't be plasticy or toy looking.

Nor can it resemble the 1985 Casio calculator watch with a touch screen.

I have patience and hope that Apple will show the way.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Seriously, Apple should have a secret group that makes fake mock ups, applies for patents and seeds fake code in OS X and iOS pointing to the next tech-disruption products they are NOT working on just for the laughs.

I could have sworn they did. Primarily to find leakers, but secondarily because they know what gets leaked will throw their "competitors" into an uproar.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    We look at our phones too much as it is, I guess we'll all be looking at our wrists while ignoring people.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    My first inclination is to say I don't want a smart watch. Usually watches only last a few months with me as I take them off and lose them...

But that might be the killer app if I can use my iPhone to find where I've lost my iWatch.

Doing a bit of kremlinology on features of iOS7 I can see where this is going, and there might be some very creative app possibilities with gaming and communication where smart watches could be surprisingly compelling.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Perfect. This is just the kind of unimaginative, clunky, and 1970-ish POS that the designers at Apple were meant to leapfrog. This will be the perfect foil if Apple decides to do for watches what it has done for all other status quo devices.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    This looks like the old ipod nano that you could buy a band for. I think I'd rather pick one of those up on ebay than this.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

These look just as ugly as the Google Glass glasses (well, maybe not that bad).  It would be interesting to see a watch with a smooth surface that curved around your wrist using the flexible curved glass that is shown in the patent document.  I don't think I'd get one as I'm not a watch (or a bracelet) guy, but it seems like they would look a lot better then this.

• Reply 15 of 34
    I hope apple does not make this look like a traditional watch like Sony did in the pictures above...the "wrap" concept would be very appealing...I am not convinced that an iWatch will do very well. We will see.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    I am not convinced that we will see an iWatch . . . period. If we do, it may be another elaboration of the iPod. An iPod Wrist, if you will, rather than a standalone device. All the Applely goodness of the Nano with a new dose of iOS functionality. If it kept me from searching for my TV remote, I'd be interested.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member

It would make finger print verification purchases a breeze.

• Reply 19 of 34
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Oh.  Great.  Another story about smart watchezzzzzz....

Zzzzzzzz....

Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

• Reply 20 of 34
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

We look at our phones too much as it is, I guess we'll all be looking at our wrists while ignoring people.

When I'm being actively ignored, I prefer it when the ignorer is not looking at me.

The way people used to do when they wore Walkmans to shut out the world.

Now, Glassholes look right through you with that blank stare.  Creepy.  Very creepy.