Theatrical trailer for 'Jobs' movie starring Ashton Kutcher debuts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The theatrical trailer for the Steve Jobs biopic, "Jobs," has been released, giving viewers a closer look at Ashton Kutcher in the title role, as well as a better sense of the span of the film.

The trailer is the longest look viewers have gotten to date at Kutcher as Jobs in the controversial film. The biopic, originally set to open in theaters this past April, is now slated for release on August 16.

"Jobs" is one of two pictures based on the life of the Apple co-founder. The other, to be penned by "The Social Network" scribe Aaron Sorkin, Sorkin describes his film as "a play in three scenes" in real-time backstage footage at different Apple product launches.

"Jobs," on the other hand, spans much of the life of the late Apple icon. The theatrical trailer shows the movie going from at least the development of the personal computer on through the debut of the iPod, with a bearded Kutcher as Jobs visible for a fraction of a second.

The Kutcher film, which also stars Josh Gad in the role of Steve Wozniak, has come under some criticism since it was announced. Kutcher initially said he believed the role of Jobs was meant for him, and called the script "award worthy." When early footage emerged, though, it was panned by Steve Wozniak, who said that the portrayal of Jobs was "so far from anything that really happened" that the Apple co-founder would have been "offended and embarrassed."

Kutcher and Gad appeared at this year's Macworld conference to discuss the film and perhaps do damage control in the wake of Wozniak's comments. The film, they said, was done with the "utmost love, admiration, and respect."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Cha-Ching. Cashing in on Steve. Kutcher may have taken the job to honor him, but based on few early scenes shown already, Woz has said it didn't get the history right. He was on CNN talking about the movie.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    I'm waiting for the David Fincher directed, Aaron Sorkin written, Scott Rudin produced movie. Three scenes from a life rather than a whole life compressed into 90 mins.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

As much as I hate Kutcher, I have to admit this looks like an exciting fun movie.  image

It could easily be better than the Sorkin one, which based on his previous work is likely to be a snooze-fest. 

• Reply 4 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

… Woz has said it didn't get the history right ...

Woz famously has pretty much no idea about people, personalities, relationships, etc. so what he remembers isn't likely to be what actually happened in any case.  

The other people present at the time would be better sources of "fact."

• Reply 5 of 34
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

Kutcher seems to have nailed a lot of jobs mannerisms, etc here. His voice isn't right, but I can't imagine there's much he can do about that.

The guy playing woz doesn't seem quite right either. 

It's hard to portray real people that so many people have seen, in a movie. 

I don't care if there's license taken with reality-- after all, a lot of what happened happened behind closed doors and other than interviewing Woz extensively, there's no way to recreate those conversations.... and Woz is a great guy but he's got a seemingly inconsistent memory.

Just so long as it isn't one of those ignorant Apple hatefests that things like "Pirates of Silicon Valley" and the like. 

Sorkin's Facebook movie wasn't exactly flattering, and the Jobs Biography was written by an asshole who couldn't be objective (and not in a favorable way to jobs--- for instance he quotes jobs saying something, then says jobs was wrong and quotes bill gates saying something that was completely factually untrue... at that point, I about threw the book across the room.) 

I doubt Sorkin has the integrity to rise above the material he's been given.

Of course, I'll be seeing both movies opening night.  That goes without saying.

• Reply 6 of 34
    Very good trailer. For people who know the general story,
    it pushes a lot of buttons. I look forward to the movie.
    I bought the Apple II soon after its release in the 70s,
    will be fun to see it on the screen.

Not bothered if the movie stretches the truth here and there,
    it isn't a documentary. Same with the Oliver Stone movie, "JFK."
    Besides, even the memories of people who participated in events
    often change.

If they get the feeling right, that sense of what it was like
    to start Apple and make it grow, that will make a successful film.

• Reply 7 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

I'm waiting for the David Fincher directed, Aaron Sorkin written, Scott Rudin produced movie. Three scenes from a life rather than a whole life compressed into 90 mins.

I like how you name-drop as if these guys were so great that it guarantees a good movie.  image

In fact, Sorkin is no great shakes as a writer and Fincher is primarily known for directing Madonna music videos.  Everything Sorkin has written is a cliche-fest and other than "The Social Network" he writes TV shows.  Fincher only has a couple of really good movies under his belt, and those were successful more because they were fantastic scripts acted by some of the best in the business, than because of his direction.  

I'm keeping my mind open, but the description of this thing "three 30 minute scenes in real time, all at Apple product announcements," sounds dubious IMO.  

• Reply 8 of 34
    Surprisingly it looks decent enough to get me in the seat.

I think some of the facts may not be there 100% but that doesn't mean it can't get the feel of the time and the main themes and inspirations correct.

Movies are about how they make us feel more so than that of historically correct depictions.

Other wise they'd be documentaries. And even those are often a farse.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    That looks horrible! Glad it stopped buffering before I saw any more. Ashton can't act a lick. Just terrible.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I'd like to find the idiot that cut that trailer and punch him in the nuts, along with everyone that approved it.

Why? That last bit. They should have stopped at the title card. That was the perfect build up etc and then they go and put a joke after it. That kind of decision making doesn't bode well for the choices the final cut may enough. Could be things worse than that clip we saw in January which was full of bad directing and camera work.

Course to be fair, I think the Sorkin movie should not be a movie with the way they are going about it. A play would be the better move for that style of storytelling.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    The people who cut the trailers are not often the ones who cut the movie.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    This trailer looks great, now I might actually go see it. The snippet shown a few months ago seemed pretty dismal.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    This looks pretty good. Getting excited to see it. :). I have a feeling this one will be a little more "fun" than the sorkin one.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I like how you name-drop as if these guys were so great that it guarantees a good movie.  :lol:

The odds are more in their favor than the three guys behind Jobs.

Lets break it down

For this film we have
    A director with two credits prior to this. And along with writing/co-writing both of those, he wrote two TV movies both of which were over ten years ago.
    A writer with zero credits before this
    A producer with no prior credits (plus a pack of so called EPs that got that from being part of the backing studios but didn't spend 5 minutes on set ever)

Compare this to
    'Untitled Steve Jobs from bio, etc' film
    Director who cut his teeth with music videos and then went on to direct several tv show eps and nine major films including the Social Network which was nominated for several awards including Best Director, etc
    A writer with some half dozen TV shows (all of which he helped to create) including the Globe and Emmy winning West Wing and that many again in movies. He's also wrote the play 'A Few Good Men' which the play was based on as well as the screenplay for said adaptation.
    And a producer who, after a start as a casting director, has been involved with almost a full 100 projects prior to this one from both movies and TV shows. He's also one of only 14 EGOTs in the industry.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    notscott wrote: »
    The people who cut the trailers are not often the ones who cut the movie.

Having started my career at a trailer house I am very aware of this fact. Which is why I said and the folks that approved it.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesboyle63 View Post

That looks horrible! Glad it stopped buffering before I saw any more. Ashton can't act a lick. Just terrible.

This is almost as bad as learning that Mila Kunis is dating Ashton Kutcher. Well, I guess that is a step up from Macaulay Culkin.

• Reply 17 of 34
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

In fact, Sorkin is no great shakes as a writer and Fincher is primarily known for directing Madonna music videos.  

Everyone's entitled to their opinions. But David Fincher is known for much more than that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Everything Sorkin has written is a cliche-fest and other than "The Social Network" he writes TV shows.  

Untrue. Not even close to the truth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Fincher only has a couple of really good movies under his belt, and those were successful more because they were fantastic scripts acted by some of the best in the business, than because of his direction.  

Not even pretending to be objective. Good for you.

I am no fanatical fan of Sorkin and Fincher but I also don't understand the blatant disregard for one's own credibility. Oh well, to each his own.

• Reply 18 of 34
    l008coml008com Posts: 163member
    Eh I've seen the first half of this movie already, and Noah Wyle played a better jobs than Kelsow I have to say.
  • Reply 19 of 34

Wow! A movie about Ashton Kutcher playing Steve Jobs pretending he is Ashton Kutcher trying to do a Steve Jobs impersonation. Awesome!

• Reply 20 of 34
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

That trailer actually looked pretty awesome I thought!

And I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I'll probably end up liking this movie better than the Sorkin movie. I thought that the Social Network was pretty damn boring and vastly overrated.