Cook incentivizes his 1M restricted stock unit payout as top brass net $86.5M in share selloff

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    Selling shares is not always a myth you can interpret as this and that will happen to Apple in the future. Sometimes it's just to realize income. Not more not less.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by enature View Post

Unfortunately, most local Cook zealots will slam you here. They are so out of touch with the reality that they will keep defending Cook even when AAPL hits $300.

Cook never had guts to increase iPhone's screen to a size that would make it easy to use for the majority.

Cook failed to make iCloud reliable.

Cook is a spreadsheet master who has no understanding of products.

Cook failed to revitalize iOS.

Did you see the last Keynote? Shameful DISASTER! Craig Federighi introduced "swipe for the control pannel" and "moving photo backgrounds" like something radically new. Can you imagine Steve Jobs presenting this old shit that has been on Android for months if not years? Or... Flat Design? Have Apple execs ever played with Windows 8?

Steve Jobs would fire people on the spot rather than put this Apple mockery on the worldwide display.

Are Apple Execs living in some kind of bubble and do not see where the world, the competitors, and consumer trends are? It used to be that Apple defined consumer trends, now Apple desperately tries to catch up and fails.

But who cares? As AAPL price continues to melt, Cook zealots will keep singing praises to this inept and gutless CEO.

Another junior troll with bad eyesight that is trying (unsuccessfully) to focus on a few trees while missing the rest of the forest.

• Reply 23 of 78
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Unfortunately, most local Cook zealots will slam you here. They are so out of touch with the reality that they will keep defending Cook even when AAPL hits $300.

Cook never had guts to increase iPhone's screen to a size that would make it easy to use for the majority.

Did you see the last Keynote? Shameful DISASTER! Craig Federighi introduced "swipe for the control pannel" and "moving photo backgrounds" like something radically new. Can you imagine Steve Jobs presenting this old shit that has been on Android for months if not years? Or... Flat Design? Have Apple execs ever played with Windows 8?

Steve Jobs would fire people on the spot rather than put this Apple mockery on the worldwide display.

Are Apple Execs living in some kind of bubble and do not see where the world, the competitors, and consumer trends are? It used to be that Apple defined consumer trends, now Apple desperately tries to catch up and fails.

But who cares? As AAPL price continues to melt, Cook zealots will keep singing praises to this inept and gutless CEO.

Thank you for the reaction from Redmond.

Cheers

• Reply 24 of 78
    enatureenature Posts: 77member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Another junior troll with bad eyesight that is trying (unsuccessfully) to focus on a few trees while missing the rest of the forest.

Lol... I have been member of AI years before you joined. And forecasted accurately both the rise and the fall of AAPL.

Earlier this year, I offered $400 bet to anyone here that Apple price share will cross under $400. None took the bet, but many were ready to scream out insults and pump out hot air about how Cook will drive AAPL to all time highs.

AAPL is at $413 how. And I tell you that it will cross under $400 again. And likely will hit $360 this year, may be even this summer.

• Reply 25 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    You sound like such a douche. No other CEO of any major company would do what Tim Cook just did, as by his request, his incentivization will only have a downside component, not an upside. That's called being a leader, and believing in your company. Not something someone like you would understand, with your myopic view of FIRE COOK NOW mentality. Apple has yet to release a failed product under Cook, or something that doesn't smash all previous records, or something that doesnt have ultra high satisfaction ratings, or doesn't have the highest reviews in the industry, etc. No doubt you have no idea who you would want to replace Cook in your fantasy scenario, because that would require you to think 10 seconds into the future and 2 feet ahead of your nose. 
    My only concern is considering how manipulated the stock is, is it a good idea for Cook's pay to be so tied to it? He doesn't seem like someone personally motivated by money so perhaps this is more of a PR gesture than anything else. I'd hate to see Apple start making decisions based on what Wall Street clowns want.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

I am quite happy with Apple's product updates since Tim took over. I love the new Macbook Pro and Mac Pro. I would like to see them get involved in something entirely new though, maybe the first practical home 3D printer.

• Reply 27 of 78
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

If one of either Ive or Cook were to go, which would you rather it was, for the future prosperity of Apple?

• Reply 28 of 78
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

If one of either Ive or Cook were to go, which would you rather it was, for the future prosperity of Apple?

Cook,

but that's just because Ive is the best designer of the last century and the "magical" guy at Apple. Cook is better at pretty much everything than guys like Bezos, Ballmer or Page, the thief at samsung, any Sony CEO. In fact, all of those are nothing more than monkeys in the tech world. They understand nothing.

If shareholders are nothing more than blind stock gamblers that's their problem, I hope Apple reaches 150 dollars and buys itself.

In fact, I doubt Ive would be a better CEO than Cook because (first of all) he would have to stop being the designer.

There's only one person that I would like to see as Apple CEO instead of Cook. There's only one guy that could use that position and Apple's mindshare and power to change the world in ways that even Jobs couldn't dream, and that's:

Elon Musk.

Apple should buy Tesla and/or Space X.

• Reply 29 of 78
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

You reckon you can do better.

Why not talk to Apple board and ask them for his job.

Well, that's point of criticism. The critic can sit back at their kitchen table and pontificate about what a terrible CEO Tim Cook is, make recommendations, predict results, assume things out of thin air, all the while not having any money on the table. They don't have to run Apple and be responsible for the results so it's easy to criticize. That's the definition of critic.

• Reply 30 of 78
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

And yet they keep breaking profit records every quarter. Go figure.

You live under a rock? we been getting Year over Year profits declines for a while.  

Next quarter EPS consensus is $7.30, last year results was $9.32

Last quarter EPS was $10.09, last year results was $12.30

The december quarter was flat, $13.81 VS $13.86

Between the beginning of 2012 and the end of the that year, Apple went from 80% YoY growth to no growth. Now its on the decline. People thinking everting is peachy are in denial...

• Reply 31 of 78
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Cook,

but that's just because Ive is the best designer of the last century and the "magical" guy at Apple. Cook is better at pretty much everything than guys like Bezos, Ballmer or Page, the thief at samsung, any Sony CEO. In fact, all of those are nothing more than monkeys in the tech world. They understand nothing.

If shareholders are nothing more than blind stock gamblers that's their problem, I hope Apple reaches 150 dollars and buys itself.

In fact, I doubt Ive would be a better CEO than Cook because (first of all) he would have to stop being the designer.

There's only one person that I would like to see as Apple CEO instead of Cook. There's only one guy that could use that position and Apple's mindshare and power to change the world in ways that even Jobs couldn't dream, and that's:

Elon Musk.

Sorry, Pedro, but Elon Musk has no taste, and lacks the humility to realize it.

Tim Cook may or may not have native good taste, but he has the humility to listen to those who do. Or he knows it when he sees it in others.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Lol... I have been member of AI years before you joined. And forecasted accurately both the rise and the fall of AAPL.

Earlier this year, I offered $400 bet to anyone here that Apple price share will cross under $400. None took the bet, but many were ready to scream out insults and pump out hot air about how Cook will drive AAPL to all time highs. Pathetic.

AAPL is at $413 how. And I tell you that it will cross under $400 again. And likely will hit $360 this year, may be even this summer. 

Except for one teeny-weeny thing. Apple is still growing, gaining market share, increasing profits, albeit at a slower pace (which is entirely consistent with the law of large numbers.) So it would appear the stock price doesn't have much to do with Tim Cook's performance. AAPL is stagnant for now so the interpretation is that Apple is failing under Cook's leadership? I don't think so. I gave up the "Steve is dead so Apple is too" mindset about a month after he passed away. 

And, I've been a member AI one month longer than you have. image

• Reply 33 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    flaneur wrote: »

Tim Cook may or may not have native good taste, but he has the humility to listen to those who do. Or he knows it when he sees it in others.
    I don't get all the hype around Elon Musk. And why would he be a good fit for a consumer e?ectronics company?
  • Reply 34 of 78
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    v5v wrote: »
    Not bashing Cook, just picking a nit: The Retina MBP has not broken any records. I don't know if I'd call it a "failed" product but I wouldn't consider it a smashing success either. Hasn't adoption of this iteration been considerably slower than previous versions?
    I think Apple has strong products in each category, but the market for PCs is rapidly changing underneath them.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    cnocbui wrote: »

The answer is neither, because it's a proposition based on a false premise. Both are integral to the company we see today. The future of the company without either of them is therefore essentially unimaginable.

Tim Cook designed the supply chain logistics, probably also the production operations. Given the global nature of both of these, the scale of production since the iPhone and the iPad, it could be said that he's put together the most complex and valuable enterprise, in the shortest time, in history.

His job is underestimated because no one has seen fit to tell the story. He needs a John McPhee to do it up, but that kind of writing and thinking is a bit out of fashion these days. Everybody thinks they know everything already.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I don't get all the hype around Elon Musk. And why would he be a good fit for a consumer e?ectronics company?

Jobs wasn't a designer or an engineer. Jobs was nothing besides a visionary with the ability of using the best in the best people.

Musk is that, and more. Apple a consumer electronics company? Please, don't be blind. They showed a long time ago that they are not limited by descriptions like "computer company" to "electronics company". They try and change what they can.

iOS and Tesla would be something awesome.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Cook,

Elon Musk.

Steve wasn't known for those things either... And how can you say that Elon has no taste? Based on what? I like Cook, a lot... But Apple has more to it than numbers, it has magic. Elon too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:

Earlier this year, I offered $400 bet to anyone here that Apple price share will cross under $400. None took the bet, but many were ready to scream out insults and pump out hot air about how Cook will drive AAPL to all time highs. Pathetic.

Except for one teeny-weeny thing. Apple is still growing, gaining market share, increasing profits, albeit at a slower pace (which is entirely consistent with the law of large numbers.) So it would appear the stock price doesn't have much to do with Tim Cook's performance. AAPL is stagnant for now so the interpretation is that Apple is failing under Cook's leadership? I don't think so. I gave up the "Steve is dead so Apple is too" mindset about a month after he passed away. 

And, I've been a member AI one month longer than you have. image

Exactly. AAPL has nothing to do with Apple.

The stock is nothing more than a novel for shareholders to entertain themselves and a good way to have investors when you need them (not Apple's case).

I hope the stock goes down, I love these doom-sayers.

• Reply 37 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    cnocbui wrote: »

Keep Both. That's like saying who would you keep: your mom or your dad.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Exactly. AAPL has nothing to do with Apple.

The stock is nothing more than a novel for shareholders to entertain themselves and a good way to have investors when you need them (not Apple's case).

Stock price has little to do with performance. My company's stock price is at an all time high yet my raise has been put on hold.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

The answer is neither, because it's a proposition based on a false premise. Both are integral to the company we see today. The future of the company without either of them is therefore essentially unimaginable.

There was no premise, so nothing to be 'false'.  It was a hypothetical postulate.  My personal view is Ive is less easily replaceable than Cook and is of more worth to the company.  Looking at those repugnant remunerations, it seems his worth is not universally appreciated.

Perhaps Apple should employ Neal Stephenson to do the vision thing and leave Cook to do the management thing.

• Reply 40 of 78
    v5v wrote: »
    With due respect, I believe he actually DOES get it. He knows, as do you and I, that Mr. Cook's comments on the subject were pure, unadulterated bullshit. Complete nonsense. His own products demonstrate as much.

I do not perceive any benefit to having someone other than Cook at the helm, but neither do I assume he's got some super-secret-power insight that allows him to see "truths" that are contradicted by what is clearly evident to anyone. He might tell incredible stories about how his invisible robes contain secrets about what's best the common serf, but the truth is that sometimes the Emperor really *IS* naked.

EVERY leader does it sometimes. Recognizing bullshit when you hear it is part of being a critical consumer. Recognizing that it won't bring the company to ruin is part of being a critical shareholder.

The simple response, which might be best for the bullshit police, would be something like this: they're getting IGZO ready for larger screens, and they ain't going to do it before.

He can't say anything about things like that, nor can he just come out and say "we're not going to use OLED trash screens to save on battery life."

So yes, he was dissembling on two counts. But it's not bullshit, it's exactly the way you want the CEO to handle it. If people can't read between the lines and figure it out, that's their problem.