Walmart drops iPhone 5 price to $129, 4S for $39

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Walmart is now offering Apple's iPhone 5 at one of the lowest prices available, just $129, and the retail giant is also offering the iPhone 4S for under $40.

always the low price

Walmart announced on Saturday that it would slash the prices of the last two generations of Apple's bestselling handset. The iPhone 5 will see a discount of nearly a third, dropping from $189 to $129, while the iPhone 4S will see a 56 percent discount, dropping from $89 to $39.

Both devices are available at the listed price contingent upon customers signing up for a new two-year contract with one of three carriers. Customers can choose from AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint.

The discount ranks Walmart among the most affordable providers of the iPhone 5. Electronics retailer Best Buy recently restarted its iPhone trade-in program, which will run through the end of June. That program allows customers signing up for a new contract to receive up to $150 off the cost of an on-contract iPhone 5 if they trade in an iPhone 4 or 4S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    What's the ETA on the 5S?
  • Reply 2 of 57
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Your guess is as good as any. Assuming iOS 7 gets completed soon enough I would guess around early September.

• Reply 3 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ifij775 wrote: »

~October, of course.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    So how much is Walmart paying AppleINsider for this advertisement? And why don't they honestly acknowledge that Walmart pays for the "story?"
  • Reply 5 of 57
    doe924doe924 Posts: 14member
    Just an inside tip: Walmart charges you tax on the sale price of $129 vs paying your carriers sales tax on the retail of $600. That's a big savings for some.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Ok, tell me why the hell should Apple enter the market with a cheap iPhone when the the 4s is now going for $39 with a two year contract at Walmart? Keep building the goddamn 4s. Duh!
  • Reply 7 of 57
    sylosylo Posts: 8member
    doe924 wrote: »
    Just an inside tip: Walmart charges you tax on the sale price of $129 vs paying your carriers sales tax on the retail of $600. That's a big savings for some.

I don't understand. I go to AT&T, the iPhone costs $199 plus tax, total price around $212.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Ok, tell me why the hell should Apple enter the market with a cheap iPhone when the the 4s is now going for $39 with a two year contract at Walmart? Keep building the goddamn 4s. Duh!

It's $39 because the carrier pays for the other $500. And cheap iPhones are needed for the developing world. My friends in China told me that $600 / month is a very decent salary for young professionals (25 - 30 years old) and if you make $1000 per month, you've "made it" (think $100K annual salary in the US). Also, the perception over there is that they don't want an older generation model. They want the latest, cheapest device with a bigger screen, something that the iPhone 4S also doesn't have.

Us Americans have the most buying power, but we are not the world.

• Reply 9 of 57
    sylosylo Posts: 8member
    maccherry wrote: »

Because that's a US carrier subsidy price? Without that subsidy, the phone costs $549.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    So the 4 is prabably barely selling.
    ~October, of course.

sylo wrote: »
    I don't understand. I go to AT&T, the iPhone costs $199 plus tax, total price around $212.
    Still a $70 savings however.

Apple will likely keep the 4s as the low end model and these rumors are anoying.

The IPad mini came because the IPad is high price and is steadily, heavily becoming above market average screen size.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    For all the people that are acting like this is a crazy deal and think that lower priced phones aren't needed, your idiots.

The true cost of the phone is in the 2 year extra payment you make for it being subsidized. There's a reason why I can pay $80/month for me and my wife to have unlimited everything with cheap phones as opposed to 120-140 with someone else using the iPhone.

Do a little math and see how good the deal is.
  • Reply 12 of 57

"Your idiots."

Okay. :)

• Reply 13 of 57
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    sylo wrote: »

is the taxable amount thingy a state-by-state issue? in california the tax is calculated on the unsubsidized price. at least, that's what i paid. and i i'm not so paranoid to think that they singled out just me.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    For all the people that are acting like this is a crazy deal and think that lower priced phones aren't needed, your idiots.

The true cost of the phone is in the 2 year extra payment you make for it being subsidized. There's a reason why I can pay $80/month for me and my wife to have unlimited everything with cheap phones as opposed to 120-140 with someone else using the iPhone.

my idiots (affectionately referred to as your idiots) can't do math. can yours?
  • Reply 15 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    FWIW its reported that ATT dropped their price on the 5 to $99.
  • Reply 16 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

"Your idiots."

Let's go ahead and deflect by focusing on something that's not the real issue. 

• Reply 17 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

Yes.

• Reply 18 of 57

"Your idiots."

pooch wrote: »
    Yes.

well, i dunno, i find that when insulting people by calling them idiots it's best to do it with proper spelling, grammar, syntax, and that lot. i mean, your idiots may be good at maths but that's it. and that, too, is a real issue.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

Then it's best to not call people idiots while making such a dumb flub at almost the exact same instant. Calling people idiots in making a fifth grade math mistake while making a fifth grade grammar mistake doesn't look good on anyone.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    A bit like using the Shift button