Theatrical trailer for 'Jobs' movie starring Ashton Kutcher debuts

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    New to here, but a apple user since the early 90's.

This & the Sorkin production will bring out the subjectiveness in us all. We all have a view of Jobs, that may or may not be supplemented with the views of others (books etc.). He was such a iconic figure that we want to know more about how & why he became this & achieved so much.

As a result this film will either satisfy us (offers a visual representation of the stories we've heard) or not - depends on us really.

To judge the film on any artistic merit, will be quite difficult for us, due to a lack of objectivity - I mean Pirates was hardly Oscar material.

I'm interested in seeing it, but don't know if that will be the cinema, DVD or cable
  • Reply 22 of 34
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

From what I have seen (not much) it seems this film is a variation (with bigger budget) of scenes previously seen in Pirates of Silicon Valley, which was not so bad, according to me. It seems that these gospels (present and future) will all tell the same story, with slightly different viewpoints. The question will eternally remain : what is the truth ? I am not sure Wozniak is necessarily the well qualified source ....

• Reply 23 of 34
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Steve Jobs, even without his accomplishments in the computing industry, was an intellectual explorer. 

Ashton Kutcher, despite strong resemblance to his subject, is a lightweight actor. I tried to withhold judgment when the casting decision was announced. This trailer shows my reservations were justified. Kutcher is unable to shake his "Dude, where's my car" persona.

• Reply 24 of 34
    Yes, a total insult to Jobs. Ashton's couches makes him look and act like a pissed off teenager not a man struggling with a depth of vision and and growth from contemplation. This is a pop culture movie for the masses, not something made with any humility.
  • Reply 25 of 34

There's a much funnier and easily better movie made to parody this, called iSteve that was on funnyordie.com which was essentially the best Steve Jobs movie about Steve Jobs. It's no longer available to watch but you can see it on Hulu Plus or Amazon... of course I don't know if Amazon Prime members get it for free but I saw it the day it was on their website and it's by the guy who made the I'm a Mac and I'm a PC Commerials who went to the Art Institute of Schaumburg in Illinois. I might be wrong on which one he went to so I might not be right on the location.

I still want to see Jobs with Ashtun Kutcher but I heard through the internet grapevine that it's not as good as everyone thought it could be. Maybe the best steve jobs films are those found on Youtube where he's presenting a new product. 

What do you guys think would be different if Steve Jobs was still alive today?

• Reply 26 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

The people who cut the trailers are not often the ones who cut the movie.

That usually means the movie is even worse.

• Reply 27 of 34
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    What do you guys think would be different if Steve Jobs was still alive today?

It's still early enough on that I see everything they make being nearly the same, sans iPad mini.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

There's a much funnier and easily better movie made to parody this, called iSteve that was on funnyordie.com which was essentially the best Steve Jobs movie about Steve Jobs.

That movie was complete garbage, and it wasn't even that funny and it only has a 5.4 on IMDB, hardly the mark of a good movie. It's more die than funny.

In comparison, Pirates of Silicon Valley scores 7.1 on IMDB.

I'm not just going by IMDB scores here, because I've also seen both of them. iSteve is not even worth watching, IMO. It's amateurish crap and an insult to Apple and Steve Jobs.

• Reply 29 of 34
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    It's still early enough on that I see everything they make being nearly the same, sans iPad mini.
    Considering we know the next three iPhones were made by him pretty simular.

The trailer was enjoyable, now I am wondering us this going to be in theaters?
  • Reply 30 of 34
    apple ][ wrote: »
    That movie was complete garbage, and it wasn't even that funny and it only has a 5.4 on IMDB, hardly the mark of a good movie. It's more die than funny.

I'm not just going by IMDB scores here, because I've also seen both of them. iSteve is not even worth watching, IMO. It's amateurish crap and an insult to Apple and Steve Jobs.

I actually didn't care that much about it being a "good movie" that costs millions to develop. You're point is obviously valid because it took less than a month to make iSteve.

I still want to see "Jobs" but because of it's 7 average rating on imdb I'd say that rating is maybe based on Steve Jobs life and not just the movie itself. We've read his biography and seen keynotes of him, get thinner over the years. And you'd think if he'd treated himself the first time instead of using natural foods he'd still be alive today.

In all honesty I don't like Ashton Kutcher though as Steve. He's done too many stupid things to be taken seriously so that could be a factor as well for the rating.
  • Reply 31 of 34

Yeah maybe you're right... but I think iOS 7 would look different than it does at this moment if he was still here, I now think the iOS 6 icons look better than ever before. Too many design errors on the new OS. It looks like they tried making Windows 7 Aero but took out the really good parts about iOS doing so like the dock app reflections and the nice glossy finish on the icons that made them look a bit like glowing candies. Now it looks all unicorn rainbowy puke bleh and 80's Van Halen. It essentially looks like an OS designed for teenage girls.

I'm pretty sure iOS 8 will look more like BB OS 6.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think people downrated that movie because they didn't understand it.    They didn't understand that it wasn't a parody of Steve and Apple.   It was a parody of the way that Hollywood makes screen biographies of famous people.     So you have the competition for the same girl between Jobs and Woz, the bookended story, etc. --- all things that absolutely never happened, but included anyway because they follow Hollywood script conventions and because Hollywood script writers think it's no big deal to change reality.   There were even major historical event changes in Spielberg's Lincoln movie which the screenwriters were apparently aware of. 

When I looked at the trailer for "Jobs", some scenes did remind me uncannily of the parody.

I don't think this is going to be a great movie.   I don't hate Kutcher as much as many other people do, but at the very least, he doesn't have the acting ability to fully inhabit the character - he apparently didn't even attempt to work with a vocal/dialog coach to make himself sound more like Steve.    (Or, if he did, he failed).     Having said that, Noah Wiley didn't attempt to change his vocal style in "Pirates..." either.     There are few actors who are capable of this and I actually can't think of anyone who would have been better to play Steve, even though I'm sure there are better actors out there.   An actor like Johnny Depp does fully inhabit characters and he generally becomes a completely different person with each character he plays, but he looks nothing like Jobs.  But just to show what someone can do with a voice, in the "The Lone Ranger" trailer, Depp's voice is exactly that of Jay Silverheels, who played Tonto on TV.    That really made me laugh.   

Where I think the movie will succeed is in presenting those famous bits and moments and provide us with a sense of nostalgia.   So seeing that Apple II display and the old rainbow Apple logo at a small trade show (Applefest?) did bring a smile to my face and for those reasons, I'm likely to go see this movie and possibly even enjoy it.  

• Reply 33 of 34
    The portrayal of Woz appears to be a grotesque parody of the man.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I%u2019m in.