Editorial: iOS 7 shows how Apple is leading mobile computing

Comments

• Reply 101 of 312
    enatureenature Posts: 77member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Tim ... is also a very practical man ...  but knowing a set of principles and knowing how to apply them to a given situation are not the same.

Exactly. Cook is undeniably brilliant in many aspects except one - and unfortunately the most crucial one  - understanding what "the best product" is. Saying "we want to make the best products" and actually making them are two different things.

For Steve Jobs, "the best" had a simple meaning - the best product is the one that takes the least effort to use. The Principle of Least Effort was inseparable from Steve Jobs.

Cook, on the other hand, complicates the definition of "the best" by adding considerations that he himself is good at - production logistics, cost/profit analysis, supply chain considerations. 

One might think that Cook's approach is more balanced than Jobs'. But in reality, it is a poison to Apple. It takes off the edge from Apple products, makes them harder to use, and eventually degrades the very profits Cook cares so much.

• Reply 102 of 312
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    ascii wrote: »
    Thanks. Yes, I think Steve put Ive in charge of the physical and Scott in charge of the virtual for a reason.

I am not against Tim to the extent you are, I think he's not just a logistics genius but a great businessman in general. But he is also a very practical man whereas Steve was more deep and philosophical (even going to India to find himself). Tim has some deeply held political beliefs surrounding civil rights, but he's not philosophical to the extent Steve was. He asserts Steve's principles ("Apple's values") at every keynote, but knowing a set of principles and knowing how to apply them to a given situation are not the same... he shouldn't have fired Scott.

I think already some people are realizing that Scott's firing was a mistake.

Personally, in my opinion, iOS 6 does look gimmicky in places. But iOS 7...as stated, some new features are nice, but its playing catchup and the coloring is ugly. Nothing innovative here.

I bet iOS 8 will be brilliant, though.

Also - I hoped to see a broader feature set for Siri. Like, opening it to devs. So part of my disappointment in iOS 7 stems from that.
  • Reply 103 of 312
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

I got to the bit where you suggested that Apple has a near-monopoly market position in mobile devices, and gave up.

If the first sentence is a complete lie, what does that say about the rest of the article?

Don't even get me started with:

Quote:

Android, an open source project that exists entirely to lift the iPhone's overall appearance and style of functionality

• Reply 104 of 312
    I'm sorry there guy, that is a delusional piece of journalism!
    You need to look at the real world and how you Iconic company you so odvously worship has fallen Way behind its competitors !! Take there half ass attempt at a larger screen !! Turn your I phone 5 sideways use it's own camera and you have a picture that doesn't even fit the screen! HUGE FAIL!!
    A desperate attempt to release a candy colored interface that's using interface adaptations from everyone, filters , parallax a STILL Unfinished Maps , Siri that's so slow in its response makes it useless..
    Oh and the public just can't wait for the brand new Plastic iPhone 5S. ( guess going green isn't that important anymore ) all with that same size Usless longer screen! Face the facts .. This is not your Steve Jobs Apple anymore ! This is a company that's clearly lost its way Again , Even ask The Waz.

The next time you decide to do a pice on Apple try to make it at lease sound like you don't kneel down before a framed picture of an Apple on a pedestal and chant , they'll see , they'll see !

Sorry but you just sounded bitter through that entire article it was tough not to feel sorry for you.
  • Reply 105 of 312
    favosysfavosys Posts: 1member
    Dear Daniel Eran Dilger

This is the most uninformed lame sad piece of S I have ever seen. I had never seen this site, apparently this is where apple fanboyz come to tell each other that they're cool and that their devices are cool and that apple is original and invented everything.

You guys can be here and talk crap to each other and congratulate you on your sad excuse of an editorial but the whole world knows the truth. There is zero innovation in iOS7.

Peace
  • Reply 106 of 312
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Quote:

Originally Posted by favosys View Post

There is zero innovation in iOS7.

I wouldn't go that far. I like iOS7, and I think the look does represent innovation - but let's not pretend that it's undisputedly original, or make absurd claims like 'Apple has a monopoly position'.

• Reply 107 of 312
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

There's a very specific bug that affects iPhones that have been restored using an iTunes back up (something that you should not do anyway). It has to do with the iTunes/app store process getting stuck in a loop, using 50-70% CPU and quickly draining battery in the background even when the device is sleeping. It will most likely be fixed in Beta 2.

Until then, if you have this bug and don't want to reinstall: disable auto-updates, avoid the store apps and reboot whenever you see unusual background CPU activity/battery drain (you can use a system monitor app for this). If you listen to music, you better disable iTunes in the cloud or iTunes match since it will activate the process each time you listen to music. 

Thanks for the explanation.

• Reply 108 of 312
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Words can't describe just how fine I would be with that.

Watch their stock halve overnight.

That would save them from doing a stock split then wouldn't it! :D
  • Reply 109 of 312
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Ok, what this has at all to do with discussing beta software performance on a certain device model?

You should've done a fresh install (as new).

If you want better battery life you should turn off what you don't use, especially since this is beta 1 software.

Then, if you were paying attention to the keynote, you would know that after a day or two (max) the phone will be much faster, since the configuration is done and the OS has learned what to keep active (or not) for you.

• Reply 110 of 312
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by enature View Post

Very, very insightful! After Job's death only Scott Forstall could stand up to Ive's boundless "essentiality." But Tim Cook fired him. So we will continue to see Sir Ive "ruthlessly stripping" iOS... Sad. 

Thanks. Yes, I think Steve put Ive in charge of the physical and Scott in charge of the virtual for a reason.

I am not against Tim to the extent you are, I think he's not just a logistics genius but a great businessman in general. But he is also a very practical man whereas Steve was more deep and philosophical (even going to India to find himself). Tim has some deeply held political beliefs surrounding civil rights, but he's not philosophical to the extent Steve was. He asserts Steve's principles ("Apple's values") at every keynote, but knowing a set of principles and knowing how to apply them to a given situation are not the same... he shouldn't have fired Scott.

Steve is nothing. Steve wasn't a designer, Steve wasn't an engineer. Steve was a big child that wanted things like "that" and was smart enough to surround himself with the best professionals in the world, the ones that could make his wishes a reality.

They learned what Steve had to teach, they grow and they became better.

Do you even know who Jony Ive is? A much more talented man than Steve could hope to be. And I (and the world, soon enough) think that his approach is the right one.

Apple has learned, and is better than ever.

• Reply 111 of 312
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

<...>

It's time for you to apply to http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/34319/official-member-title-request-thread    !!!!!!

• Reply 112 of 312

IOS 7 is being renamed IOS MLP for your information...

MLP ( My Little Pony)

• Reply 113 of 312
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    allenbf wrote: »
    I think already some people are realizing that Scott's firing was a mistake.

Personally, in my opinion, iOS 6 does look gimmicky in places. But iOS 7...as stated, some new features are nice, but its playing catchup and the coloring is ugly. Nothing innovative here.

I bet iOS 8 will be brilliant, though.

Also - I hoped to see a broader feature set for Siri. Like, opening it to devs. So part of my disappointment in iOS 7 stems from that.
    If iOS 7 is playing catchup what the hell was iOS 6? All the things people are bitching about that iOS 7 doesn't have or doesn't do, they didn't get any of that under Jobs & Forstall.
  • Reply 114 of 312
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    euphonious wrote: »
    Don't even get me started with:

I know, right? Android isn't open source!
    kelsocolt wrote: »
    HUGE FAIL!!

What is this, 2008?
    This is a company that's clearly lost its way Again

Shut up and go away.
    Even ask The Waz.

Yes, ask a deluded, brain-addled, ex-employee who has nothing to do with modern Apple. That'll get you any sort of answer you'd actually want! :no:
  • Reply 115 of 312
    povilas wrote: »
    I take it you are using it not on 4/4S, because on these iPhones it's almost unusable. Battery drains in half a day, crashes, blackouts and what not.

Really?? Sheez! I have enough battery issues already with my 4s. It's a beta, but I hope they fix that for the public when it comes out.
  • Reply 116 of 312
    I will tell you a story.

Here in Portugal (and Spain) Android is much more mainstream than iPhones, for a variety of reasons. One of them is that the nearest Apple Store is in another country (Spain), and the second is that Samsung and their ads are everywhere.

One of those things that every android user knows (and must know, really) is how to switch Wifi, 3g, bluetooth, etc. on and off. It's actually easy, and they have to do it... you will realize why, soon enough.

A few days ago, a few americans arrived here to study during the semester. iPhones everywhere! Since I own a mac and am a good-looking son of a b*cth, the girls (and the boys lol) approached me and asked if I knew how to set the internet on their iPhones. On iPhones, the process is very easy because you don't even need to configure the network, it's only username and password.

First question (by me):

-Ok, I know how to do it. Can you please go to settings and Wifi? They answered...
    -"How do you do that?!".

After a brief conversation, they (all of them!) said that they never got that deep into the settings app (lol). The bluetooth was always on. The Wifi was always on. GPS was on. 3G was on. One of them was really hot so I was turned on too. Everything was on.

For an Android user, it is unthinkable to have the phone in those same conditions and have more than 2h battery life, even on "high end" devices. Things like that are only a privilege to iPhone users, so when they complain that their phones only hold a charge during 8h, I laugh.

It's like people saying that the S4 and the note have much bigger batteries, so they have a much better battery life... Meanwhile the iPhone and iPad wins every test when both screens are on, and on extensive tasks there is no contest.

Apple is doing a great job with their mobile processors and batteries. The a6 was a marvel, the things that they manage to do with small batteries are great. Can't wait for the end of the year...

Guess they were a bunch of dumb blondes. Because you don't have to go "deep" in the settings to change those things. Or they are just people who actually use the phone instead of configuring and tweaking all day long like most of the android users.
  • Reply 117 of 312
    ascii wrote: »

It seems pretty clear Scott Forstall was fired because no one else on the executive team could get a long with him. And that he was very political. Some of that might have been toned down or kept in check while Steve was alive. If you watch this years WWDC all these guys seem a lot happier than the have in a while. Craig Federighi was great up on stage. In my opinion he was better than Forstall ever was because you don't get a sense of arrogance with him like you did with Forstall.

There's a piece online from a former Apple intern Ben Thompson. He says when he interned at Apple the interns got to meet all the Apple SVPs and Steve Jobs. He says of everyone that spoke Tim Cook was the most impressive, even more impressive than Steve Jobs. He also said Scott Forstall came across as someone who knew they were the smartest person in the room and were going to make sure you knew it too. I have a feeling after Steve died that attitude was no longer kept in check and probably what caused a lot of friction with the other SVPs. There were also rumors that Scott would often use the "Steve wouldn't..." line in meetings. If that's true it could be Cook felt Forstall was holding Apple back because he was too tied to what would Steve do whereas the others wanted to move forward. Of course all of this is speculation on my part. ;)
  • Reply 118 of 312
    Steve is nothing. Steve wasn't a designer, Steve wasn't an engineer. Steve was a big child that wanted things like "that" and was smart enough to surround himself with the best professionals in the world, the ones that could make his wishes a reality.

They learned what Steve had to teach, they grow and they became better.

Do you even know who Jony Ive is? A much more talented man than Steve could hope to be. And I (and the world, soon enough) think that his approach is the right one.

Apple has learned, and is better than ever.
    Lets see how iOS looks and works 2-3 years from now. Ive only took over Human Interface starting last November and if Forstall was still around for any period of time Ive probably wasn't jumping in on day one. I think it's a bit unfair to judge him in this space based on 7 months or so of work. People can argue that Apple should have kept the iOS 6 aesthetic (maybe without the green felt and faux leather) and waited until iOS 8 to unveil a major overhaul. I think had Apple done that the criticism would have been just as strong with people wondering what the heck they've been doing the past 7 months. Also lets not forget that Ive is still in charge of hardware design so how much of iOS 7 is just a beginning that will support future hardware products?
  • Reply 119 of 312
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    cpsro wrote: »
    I dunno about that. Mankind's knowledge and expertise increase exponentially with time. Skipping back a few years, the pace will always appear laggard compared to today, when the rate of change in the pace (acceleration) was the same.

But look too at the pace of innovation prior to WinTel:

In 1981, Apple was improving upon some of the first 8bit computers with rudimentary, but built in graphics.

In five years, it had launched graphical computing, was building serious graphics machines with the LaserWriter

In ten years it had launched 32bit color workstations with QuickTime video, while NeXT had launched OO workstations so advanced their OS could be dusted of in ten years and still be ahead of Windows 2000

Apple was also working on Taligent and ARM

Whether you go forward or back for comparisons, it's hard to argue that the innovative advancement in personal computing didn't slow to a crawl when Microsoft gained control of the show.
  • Reply 120 of 312

iPhone Geekbench Scores

Performance Increase Multiplier

iPhone 3GS    277  

iPhone 4        378       1.36 x Better than the 3GS

iPhone 4S      648        1.7 x Better than the 4

iPhone 5       1612       2.5 x Better than the 4S and 5.8 x Better than the 3GS