Review: Apple's new 11-inch MacBook Air (Mid-2013)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jusephe View Post

"...move the Air lineup over to high-resolution Retina displays, but it is almost guaranteed that such a change would negate all the power savings squeezed out by Haswell."

But samsung just introduced an SAMSUNG ATIV Book 9 Plus with kind of a retina display resolution and they promised 50 % higher brightness than a ordinary notebook display (they call SUPERBrightPlus screen) and also a 12 hour battery life in a profile that is 3,6 mm thinner than Mac book Air plus they used i5 at higher clock speed then Apple (1,3 vs 1,6 Ghz).

If samsung could do that, why not Apple ?

Samsung has shown time-and-time again that everything coming out of its mouth should be taking with a grain of salt.  I'd bet that even if the 12-hour battery life even comes close to being remotely true, it will only be accomplished with every setting set to zombie-status and essentially being useless in real-world use.  At least Apple publishes more real-world battery life.

• Reply 22 of 73
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

With regards to the battery life, I think Apple is about the only company who actually understates their duration.

Despite of my hate of Samsung , to be honest, their Ativ book laptop with 3200x1800 display, more powerful cpu options,

12 hour battery life, and comparable thickness, makes the new MBAs immediately outdated. Was saving money for a 13", guess will have to wait for another year

Proof about the battery life on any real life test?

Proof about the computer itself being faster?

Proof about similar build quality?

Proof about similar price?

Proof about similar graphics card?

Thanks.

• Reply 23 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    First, has anyone actually used or reviewed the new Samsung laptop to confirm their claims? Second, has Samsung given a price? And third, since we don't have Haswell rMBPS to compare to how do we know its more impressive than Apple's offerings?
  • Reply 24 of 73
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

First, has anyone actually used or reviewed the new Samsung laptop to confirm their claims? Second, has Samsung given a price? And third, since we don't have Haswell rMBPS to compare to how do we know its more impressive than Apple's offerings?

Samsung is just giving material to trolls, using the Pixel approach.

They know the machine in itself is inferior, but they just wanted to have a higher resolution screen even if worse, so trolls can use it to try and talk smack about Apple.

• Reply 25 of 73
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Great product. Now, the new Intel microprocessors allow to make a much lighter Mac (400 to 600 g), as proven by these Windows computers:

Acer Iconia W3 (540 g - 8 h battery)
    Samsung ATIV Tab 3 (550 g - 10 h battery)

Not for heavy work, but great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    Samsung is just giving material to trolls, using the Pixel approach.

They know the machine in itself is inferior, but they just wanted to have a higher resolution screen even if worse, so trolls can use it to try and talk smack about Apple.
    Well I don't think it makes sense to comment on a product that no one (outside of Samsung) has used. Lets wait and see when it comes out later this year and the tech sites review it. My guess is the Haswell rMBPs will be out this fall too so we'll have an even better comparison.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    dmccalldmccall Posts: 1member
    My new 11" is only lasting 3h40m running an external monitor and moderate use of Chrome Browser.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

This "my specs are better than your specs" crap is just stupidly idiotic. To argue specs as a reason to prefer one product over another is a truly nerd herd phenomenon. There are so many more valid reasons to choose one product over another, including design, the operating system, the value, the customer service, the quality of manufacture, the list goes on. It appears to be one of the biggest straw man arguments used by tech posers because they simply cannot digest the other not-so-objective factors.

Faster is better, cheaper is better, more is better? It's all baloney.

• Reply 29 of 73
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmccall View Post

My new 11" is only lasting 3h40m running an external monitor and moderate use of Chrome Browser.

So what is that supposed to mean? Apple is lying? Your unique experience invalidates everything Apple claims? You joined just to post your displeasure? What?

• Reply 30 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dmccall wrote: »

Sure it is.

Also, you need to condition your battery when you first buy it.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

These new Macbook Airs look great! The best models ever! And that battery time is just off the charts!

And what kind of a fool mentions anything about any Samsung Windows 8 vaporvare, that will no doubt suck. Who gives a shit about Windows 8 and who gives a shit about a Samsung product that is not even released? What a joke. Were you just born yesterday?

• Reply 32 of 73
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I illustrate the situation. I use a new Mac mini with two large displays in my home office to layout and edit books using Adobe's new Creative Cloud. For that, I need a lot of CPU power, a fast Internet connection, and lots of screen space. No laptop could ever meet that need, and I'm not carrying work between an office to a home office.

Can't you get more CPU power out of a MBP Retina, better built-in graphics, and still drive the two large displays?

• Reply 33 of 73
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    rogifan wrote: »

Samsung's doesn't ship until later on in Q3 but it'll probably be similar to the series 9:

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/samsung-series-9-13/4505-3121_7-35374674-2.html

That one is $1299 and the 13" Air now starts at $1099. After adding a high-res touch screen, I expect best-case Samsung will hit the same $1299 price. The 2012 review says:

"Upgrading to Windows 7 Professional costs an extra $100.
    Based on our video-playback battery drain test, the Series 9's battery life was shockingly impressive: it lasted 6 hours and 55 minutes. The 13-inch MacBook Air outlasted it by over half an hour.
    being smaller and lighter than a MacBook Air is no easy feat, and yet this laptop seems to do it without breaking a sweat."

It's in the same class of machine as the Air and has similar specs. I expect the high res touch screen will impact battery life but they might have put in a bigger battery - this is likely as it's now slightly heavier than the Air.

It's going to come with Intel 4400 graphics unlike the 5000 in the Air. If Apple can get the Retina MBPs down to $1299 in order to eliminate the old model, that would make it the more appropriate comparison for price and display. This would be with the i5-4258U processor, which has Iris 5100 graphics in it.

Some reports say Samsung's maxes out at 256GB SSD. I'm not sure why they'd do that. There's a video of it here:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/20/4449124/samsung-ativ-book-lite-notebook

It's clearly heavily influenced by the Air (surprising, it's not like Samsung to copy Apple), unibody metal design, large trackpad, magnetic latch and so on.

It's a nice enough laptop and has competitive features - the display is higher-res than the rMBP and if it's PLS, it'll have similar quality to the IPS display in the rMBP. I bet Samsung has lower margins than Apple though. If Apple would have to increase the price of the Air by $200 or more to get that kind of display, it's not worth doing just now.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's clearly heavily influenced by the Air (surprising, it's not like Samsung to copy Apple), unibody metal design, large trackpad, magnetic latch and so on.

One thing it could never do is run Mac OS X, while the Macbook Air can run OS X and other OS'es.

And it's a convertible. Convertibles are horrible and I hope that Apple never attempts to make such a dreadful device.

• Reply 35 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

One thing it could never do is run Mac OS X, while the Macbook Air can run OS X and other OS'es.

And it's a convertible. Convertibles are horrible and I hope that Apple never attempts to make such a dreadful device.

I think you should say "never do with Apple support is run Mac OS X..,".  The Hackintosh program is alive and well, and there are plenty of folks running OS X ML as a VM (VMware, Hyper-V, and Virtualbox).

Also - I don't believe that the new Samsungs are convertibles.

• Reply 36 of 73
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Samsung's doesn't ship until later on in Q3 but it'll probably be similar to the series 9: ...

You gotta love how the shills/trolls/whatever come on here and declare that Samsung already has a better laptop, that the MBA's are obsolete before they were released, but conveniently forget to mention that Samsung's "better" laptop doesn't actually exist yet, so, at present, doesn't actually have any battery life.

• Reply 37 of 73
    dustbagdustbag Posts: 2member
    proximityeffect got it first - you score 4.5 but stars are 3.5 - which is it?
  • Reply 38 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider 

Going into 2013, the MacBook lineup has become less crowded with the deprecation of non-Retina display Pros, leaving a wide gap between Apple's tablet offerings and its top-of-the-line laptops. The Airs fit nicely into that new space, and the new 11-inch version's hardware definitely creates separation from the company's tablets.

The MBP's are gone, or not being upgraded with the latest CPUs?  I still see them in the Apple store online, but I'm just wondering if I need to go grab one before they're gone...

• Reply 39 of 73
    dmccall wrote: »
    Hmm...why do I not believe this since most reviews equaled or exceeded Apple's battery clams?
  • Reply 40 of 73

I think Apple made the right choice in the 11" MacBook Air, between battery life and raw CPU performance. The Air isn't the Pro, and more importantly, the previous generation Core i5 and i7 based Airs could only muster 5 hour batteries, the shortest of any current MacBook product. Getting all-day battery life makes the 11" MacBook Air that much more useful for its intended market.