New photos of purported 'iPhone 5S' show possible Apple 'A7' chip

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple will likely release the successor to its iPhone 5 in the fall of this year, and new images have emerged suggesting that the device may pack a next-generation "A7" next-generation processor when it debuts.

array

The new images follow closely after a previous leak last week, which showed off a larger-capacity battery and a new dual-LED flash component for the rear camera. The most recent images published by MacRumors give a closer view of the processor in the alleged iPhone 5S, and the branding on the device suggests that that processor will be a new "A7" chip and not a variant of Apple's existing A6 family.

The chip in the photo has a model number of APL0698, whereas the model numbers for the A6 and A6X were APL0598 and APL5598. The A5 and its subsequent iterations carried model numbers in the vein of APLx4xx, demonstrating the system with which Apple marks progression in its processor families.

chip

Monday's report notes that the chip for the supposed 5S carries 1GB of Elpida DRAM, the same capacity seen in the A6. There are also indications that the chip may have been made by TSMC, lending weight to recent rumors that Apple would switch away from Samsung for its chips. Those rumors, though, have Apple switching away for a 2014 "A8" processor, not this year's anticipated "A7."

Examining the date codes of assorted components, the device appears to have been assembled in December of 2012, which would make it an early prototype put together only weeks after the launch of the iPhone 5.

full

In addition to the new information on the processor, the latest leak gives a closer view of the rear of the device. The new look shows that the device does indeed have a dual-LED flash array and gives a clearer view of that component. A dual-LED flash would likely allow for better photos when taken in low-light conditions.

Rumors regarding a so-called "iPhone 5S" have loomed since the release of its predecessor, and the intervening months have seen a number of supposed component leaks. Recently, AppleInsider offered a first look at alleged schematics for both an "iPhone 5S" and a low-cost iPhone, showing what a number of accessory makers believe the devices will look like.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quad-core?
  • Reply 2 of 52
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member
    As flashes tend to wash out the subjects, having an amber color flash could help to add rich tones such as it would with a sunset or candlelight.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    How difficult is it for analysts to count? Seriously. Count to ten; see if you can do it.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Had to check in for my daily fake iPhone 5s screenshot. Did not disappoint.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    izazaizaza Posts: 8member
    even if they make 10 core still no use, the screen of iPhone needs to be wider. iPhone is left far behind the competition. The speed is not simply attractive. since iPhone 3GS I have bought every version accept iPhone 5 because I was expecting a wider screen as I have big fingers like many others. I am expecting a wide screen on iPhone 5s-6 otherwise unfortunately I will have to get used to android or windows mobile.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    That's also a circular microphone hole instead of an oval
  • Reply 7 of 52
    izaza wrote: »
    the screen of iPhone needs to be wider.

No, it doesn't.
    iPhone is left far behind the competition.

No, it isn't.
    The speed is not simply attractive.

Good thing there's more than just speed, huh.
    I am expecting a wide screen on iPhone 5s-6 otherwise unfortunately I will have to get used to android or windows mobile.

Go away now.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

If this is indeed a next-gen A7 SoC in a genuine 5S for later this year, then I'm surprised but pleased too. As they would have to use current 28/32 nm process to manufacture it - which probably means higher power consumption than a A6. Maybe that higher capacity battery is there to compensate or even better but highly unlikely - there's an IGZO display in there too. That would make the extra juice from an A7 moot. 

• Reply 9 of 52
    bosco08bosco08 Posts: 19member
    Of course there is a new chip. How else can Apple justify leaving out some cool new features of ios 7 from iPhone 5 users?
  • Reply 10 of 52
    bosco08 wrote: »
    Of course there is a new chip. How else can Apple justify leaving out some cool new features of ios 7 from iPhone 5 users?

Do you not understand what hardware is?
  • Reply 11 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Maybe that higher capacity battery is there to compensate or even better but highly unlikely - there's an IGZO display in there too. That would make the extra juice from an A7 moot. 

Have we seen good hands-on reviews of IGZO vs IPS?  I haven't but would love to see some.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosco08 View Post

Funny.  But to be real- outside of Siri (4 vs 4S)- they haven't built an iDevice that has left the directly previous one out of iOS features.

I actually think of it a little differently.  Outside of a chip, what could Apple really offer that would be a huge improvement?  So far, with the rumors of hardware we've seen- a better camera, double flash, and bigger battery are about it (the battery will be awesome if true).  But not sure what else to get excited about vs the iPhone 5?  I'm hoping wireless ac gets added as well- or if they make 32gb standard.  Curious what they're going to do that'll be the "must have" feature?  Again- iOS 7 is incredible.  But curious about the 5 vs new one.  Starting to get excited.

• Reply 12 of 52
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    The first photo of the dual flash looks like the phone has been dropped a few dozen times. It's super scratched up.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    I am still hoping for a fingerprint scanner. I will upgrade from my 5, if it is included. If not, I will likely wait for the 6.
  • Reply 14 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

I am still hoping for a fingerprint scanner. I will upgrade from my 5, if it is included. If not, I will likely wait for the 6.

I would be beside myself if this happened.  I'm thinking it'll be the 6 though.  It's inevitable they will incorporate that technology in sometime.

• Reply 15 of 52
    As flashes tend to wash out the subjects, having an amber color flash could help to add rich tones such as it would with a sunset or candlelight.

Could the red flash also be for red eye reduction?
  • Reply 16 of 52
    7531475314 Posts: 1member
    Your wishes to have a fingerprint scanner might come true look at the home button connector on the 5s compared to the one on the 5 thats located at the left side of the lighting connector. To me it seems like the new connection is going to support something more then a simple on off function.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

Consider you're Apple. You have a product that's selling 10s of millions of units a quarter. You want to make a significant upgrade for next year, but you don't want to risk falling on your face if the next years product is delayed.  So what do you do?

You make a slightly upgraded version of this years product, using, say the new CPU, but mostly the same design.

At the same time, you work on a more significant upgrade using some other piece of innovative technology (I think Apple has a radical display up its sleeve, possibly a glasses not required 3D display).  This is cutting edge technology and it might not be ready in time.  

So, what do you do?  You work on both.  In fact, Apple probably has 3 different 2013 models being developed and 3 different 2014 models being developed right now. 

Depending on how things go, we might get the radical model, but if it's not ready we get the less radical model and the radical model happens next year.

It's the only prudent way to work. 

So, sure, this is the less radical model from 2012 which was probably in the works as early as late 2011. 

Doesn't really tells us what the 2013 iPhone will be, unless they have to fall back to this easy to manufacture (because it's very much like the 2012 model) version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iZaza View Post

iPhone is left far behind the competition. 

How can the iPhone e "far behind" competition that is selling only 1/10th as many units?  (if that.)  Wider phones are not really actually popular. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I actually think of it a little differently.  Outside of a chip, what could Apple really offer that would be a huge improvement?  

Take a retina screen, and then double it.  Thus where there was one pixel in a current retina screen there are now two.  This wouldn't have any use in terms of making a display better, because the pixels are already too small to see.  So why would Apple do this?

Take that double retina screen and now put a very fine etched lens in front of it.  In this way every two pixels is split, such that the left eye can see one of them and the right eye can see the other. 

This is existing technology (though not to this level of resolution) so I'm not speaking crazy here.

Now you have a stereoscopic display, at retina resolution. 

This would be pretty revolutionary.  There are probably some significant manufacturing challenges involved.... but can you imagine if Apple announced that?

Now all the 3D games could really be 3D!

• Reply 18 of 52
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    andysol wrote: »
    Have we seen good hands-on reviews of IGZO vs IPS?  I haven't but would love to see some.

Funny.  But to be real- outside of Siri (4 vs 4S)- they haven't built an iDevice that has left the directly previous one out of iOS features.

I actually think of it a little differently.  Outside of a chip, what could Apple really offer that would be a huge improvement?  So far, with the rumors of hardware we've seen- a better camera, double flash, and bigger battery are about it (the battery will be awesome if true).  But not sure what else to get excited about vs the iPhone 5?  I'm hoping wireless ac gets added as well- or if they make 32gb standard.  Curious what they're going to do that'll be the "must have" feature?  Again- iOS 7 is incredible.  But curious about the 5 vs new one.  Starting to get excited.

There were a few features in the camera app that were iPhone 5 only and not available to 4S users. There are probably a few other small things that were "5 only".

As far as new must have features I don't know what's left for Apple other than NFC/fingerprint stuff. My own qualm with such features is that I don't think those are really highly desired features for people. People with NFC androids never use the feature and fingerprint/eye/face sensors have never been huge features for phones. They may have a short term wow factor but nothing that's actually useful

Anyway I'm excited for the 5S and I will be getting one regardless. Most things on my "want" list were addressed by iOS 7 (multitasking/control center/Siri improvements/etc).
  • Reply 19 of 52
    FedGoatFedGoat Posts: 54member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iZaza 

the screen of iPhone needs to be wider.

No, it doesn't.

Yes, it does. Just because YOU don't want it doesn't mean that MILLIONS of others don't. 

I tried the S4 for a month before returning to iPhone. The 5" screen was the PERFECT size. 

Apple could keep the girl size and release a Man size and I would bet my last dollar the larger would outsell the smaller. 

• Reply 20 of 52
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Could the red flash also be for red eye reduction?

No, red eye reduction is a pre-flash that will close the retina. Red eye is cause by light reflecting off the back of the retina so you would want to un-diolate the retina to minimize the refection. To do that, you would pre-flash the subject prior to the exposure so the retina will close. You could also change the direction of the flash entering into the pupil. 

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question51.htm ;