Microsoft said plotting 'major restructuring' with reorganization to happen as soon as July 1

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As it struggles to adjust to the new mobile computing paradigm, software giant Microsoft is said to be mulling a shift in its organizational structure that may leave it better prepared to take on the likes of the iPad, iPhone, and Android devices.

ms

Earlier this month, reports emerged that Microsoft was planning a reorganization that would bring a greater focus on devices and services. Its Xbox console aside, Microsoft's move into computing hardware is a largely new step, as the software giant entered the fray only in the past year with the announcement of its Surface tablets.

The new arrangement is said to have been guided largely by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, with a number of senior executives outside the loop and somewhat anxious regarding their futures at the company, according to AllThingsD.

?It feels like it is going to be titanic ? that Steve is doing this change for his legacy,? said one source. ?And it?s the first time in a long time that it feels like that there will be some major shifts, including some departures.?

At the center of the reorganization would be a simplification of Microsoft's management structure. Reports from earlier this month floated the possibility that the Windows OS group could be jointly headed by Windows Phone lead Terry Myerson and Windows engineering head Julie Larson-Green.

This sort of alignment would be aimed at bringing Windows and Windows Phone closer together in capabilities and interoperability. Microsoft's attempt at gaining a foothold in the smartphone market has so far disappointed, even though it has gained some marketshare.

The company's Windows desktop platform has been having just as difficult a time. Consumers increasingly are opting for smartphones and tablets instead of traditional computing form factors. The company's Windows 8 was supposed to address this trend, blending Windows' legacy apps with a new touchscreen interface. The results in terms of sales, though, have been underwhelming for both Microsoft and its manufacturing partners.

The new corporate organizational structure might materialize by July 1, with Ballmer revealing the plan to a group of senior executives.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Translation: Windows 8 and the tablets have been a failure.

• Reply 2 of 76
    While I'm sure that I couldn't do any better, I sincerely hope that Steve Balmer replaces himself in that reorganization as well. Like a lot of people, I occasionally have to use Microsoft products and really wish that they were better designed and engineered. Remember that, once upon a time, this was a very imaginative company with very compelling products including Mac Basic. Yes, they also engaged in questionable competitive practices but we are all the worse for how they have been performing over the past decade. Apple and Google can't come up with every good idea. A new leader who demonstrates greater wisdom would help us all.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    HA HA HA HA HA HA THEY'RE GOING TO STOP MAKING OS SOFTWARE HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Just as long as they keep Ballmer. Whatever they do, Ballmer MUST stay.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    If not done well, "titanic" may be the apt descriptor of a reorganization.
  • Reply 5 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

HA HA HA HA HA HA THEY'RE GOING TO STOP MAKING OS SOFTWARE HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Just as long as they keep Ballmer. Whatever they do, Ballmer MUST stay.

Absolutely!!! Microsoft without Monkey Boy serving as an Albatross around its neck might actually manage to churn something out that didn't stink like something that fell out of a dog's butt.

• Reply 6 of 76
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

If not done well, "titanic" may be the apt descriptor of a reorganization.

Shuffle the deck chairs!

• Reply 7 of 76
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This sort of alignment would be aimed at bringing Windows and Windows Phone closer together in capabilities and interoperability.

Oh.  Now they're thinking about interoperability and the whole ecosystem thing.

Finally getting serious, are we Ballmer?

Maybe the "capabilities and interoperability" would have been easier if Windows desktop and 

Windows Phone shared the same kernel and low-level OS code.  But then again, maybe the Windows

kernel and low-level code (and, horror of single-point-of-failure horrors, The Registry), were too

bloated, fragile, and too dependent on Intel's power-hog CPUs to port to mobile.

Good luck with that legacy deal, Ballmer.

And may the computing gods be more favorable to your successor.

• Reply 8 of 76
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    "The new arrangement is said to have been guided largely by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer." Meaning, the same person who 'guided' the rest of the 'titanic' flops of the past decade at Microsoft?

"...there will be some major shifts, including some departures." Except for the one needed most, the departure of Steve Ballmer.

I believe he's the singular legacy holding the company back, and instead of cleaning house, he's entrenching himself further along with all the problems inherent to his continued tenure.

With this news I can probably safely say, 'So long Microsoft, and thanks for all the fish...'
  • Reply 9 of 76
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfergenson View Post

While I'm sure that I couldn't do any better, I sincerely hope that Steve Balmer replaces himself in that reorganization as well. Like a lot of people, I occasionally have to use Microsoft products and really wish that they were better designed and engineered. Remember that, once upon a time, this was a very imaginative company with very compelling products including Mac Basic. Yes, they also engaged in questionable competitive practices but we are all the worse for how they have been performing over the past decade. Apple and Google can't come up with every good idea. A new leader who demonstrates greater wisdom would help us all.

Microsoft has become the 200 lb gorilla in the room that still thinks and behaves like it is the 600 lb gorilla, ignoring that Google and Apple have grown into 600lb and 1000 lb gorillas.

That's enough of monkeys.

Would like to see Microsoft adding more to the innovation game as well- they did take a huge risk with Win 8 and while they had the right idea with the flat functionality the implementation is atrocious.  The UI looks like someone just threw random magnets on a refrigerator door.  It will be interesting to see what Apple comes up with with the flat functionality combined with their always minimalistic elegance.

Unfortunately I agree with everyone else that what's really needed isn't going to happen.  Ballmer might skate to where the puck is and get just about everything else wrong, but he's made quite a brilliant textbook career of lopping off the body to preserve the head.

• Reply 10 of 76
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    I have been suggesting for years that Microsoft needs to dump their platform and take the risk that Apple did by moving to a Unix-based operating system.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    Who wants to bet on Scott Forstall being part of the new team? 4:1 odds he is top dog under Ballmer.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Microsoft isn't doomed yet.  They have a long history of releasing bad versions of Windows followed by much better ones.  Windows 7 is probably the best OS on the market right now.  With the mixed reviews that Windows 8 gets, I would venture a guess that the next version of Windows will probably be pretty good (at least for desktops).  If it's not, then I'll start giving more weight to the naysayers.

Here's a simplified timeline to consider:

Win 98 SE - Good

Win ME - Bad

Win XP - Good

Win Vista - Bad

Win 7 - Good

Win 8  - Bad

Win 9 - Good?

• Reply 13 of 76
    ........... Naaaaaaaaaah!
  • Reply 14 of 76
    droidftw wrote: »
    Microsoft isn't doomed yet.  They have a long history of releasing bad versions of Windows followed by much better ones.  Windows 7 is probably the best OS on the market right now.  With the mixed reviews that Windows 8 gets, I would venture a guess that the next version of Windows will probably be pretty good (at least for desktops).  If it's not, then I'll start giving more weight to the naysayers.

Here's a simplified timeline to consider:

Win 98 SE - Good

Win ME - Bad

Win XP - Good

Win Vista - Bad

Win 7 - Good

Win 8  - Bad
    Win 9 - Good?

...........Naaaaaaaah!
  • Reply 15 of 76
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Given their complete failure in mobile, this comes as no surprise, though it's about three years too late.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

These are the same people that held a funeral for the iPhone. It's fairly evident that they know very little about mobile devices.

• Reply 17 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    "The new arrangement is said to have been guided largely by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer." Meaning, the same person who 'guided' the rest of the 'titanic' flops of the past decade at Microsoft?

"...there will be some major shifts, including some departures." Except for the one needed most, the departure of Steve Ballmer.

I believe he's the singular legacy holding the company back, and instead of cleaning house, he's entrenching himself further along with all the problems inherent to his continued tenure.

With this news I can probably safely say, 'So long Microsoft, and thanks for all the fish...'

Surprised the corporate world doesn't follow sports, fire the manager/coach never the players.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Windows 7 is probably the best OS on the market right now. 

• Reply 19 of 76
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I guess steve-o isn't leaving. Good news for everyone else, bad news for Microsoft.
  • Reply 20 of 76
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Translation: Windows 8 has been a failure.

Windows 8 AND Surface RT AND Surface Pro have been failures and everyone doesn't want to admit it publicly.