New photos of purported 'iPhone 5S' show possible Apple 'A7' chip

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 52

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post




    No, it doesn't.


     


    Yes, it does. Just because YOU don't want it doesn't mean that MILLIONS of others don't. 


    I tried the S4 for a month before returning to iPhone. The 5" screen was the PERFECT size. 


    Apple could keep the girl size and release a Man size and I would bet my last dollar the larger would outsell the smaller. 



     


    Where are all these so-called millions clamouring for a 5" iPhone? Buy an S4 if you want a phablet. Apple's doing just fine with the 4". Also if your manhood is defined by your phone, you need help.

  • Reply 22 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    [quote name="r4d4" url="/t/158215/new-photos-of-purported-iphone-5s-show-possible-apple-a7-chip#post_2351599"]Yes, it does.[/QUOTE]

    No. It doesn't. I'll do this all day. I have common sense, every single thing Apple has ever done, including EXPLICIT software features, and tens of millions of iPhone users behind me.

    What do you have?

    [QUOTE]Apple could keep the girl size and release a Man size and I would bet my last dollar the larger would outsell the smaller. [/QUOTE]

    And thanks for destroying your entire argument with sexism. Normally it takes a while longer for you guys to pull the plug!
  • Reply 23 of 52
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

    Quote:


    Examining the date codes of assorted components, the device appears to have been assembled in December of 2012, which would make it an early prototype put together only weeks after the launch of the iPhone 5.



     


    Or perhaps only that some components used in the prototype were manufactured some time ago. Or perhaps that a unit was pulled form production back then to start tinkering with. Unless you have some sort of built-on-date or paperwork to go with it I would think that any production date of individual parts might be better interpreted only as parts which have yet to be updated if such is the plan before a release candidate is ready for production.

  • Reply 24 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    lilgto64 wrote: »
    Or perhaps only that some components used in the prototype were manufactured some time ago. Or perhaps that a unit was pulled form production back then to start tinkering with. Unless you have some sort of built-on-date or paperwork to go with it I would think that any production date of individual parts might be better interpreted only as parts which have yet to be updated if such is the plan before a release candidate is ready for production.

    Intel had Haswell iMacs for internal testing last year; it's not inconceivable.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    blackbook wrote: »
    There were a few features in the camera app that were iPhone 5 only and not available to 4S users. There are probably a few other small things that were "5 only".

    As far as new must have features I don't know what's left for Apple other than NFC/fingerprint stuff. My own qualm with such features is that I don't think those are really highly desired features for people. People with NFC androids never use the feature and fingerprint/eye/face sensors have never been huge features for phones. They may have a short term wow factor but nothing that's actually useful

    Anyway I'm excited for the 5S and I will be getting one regardless. Most things on my "want" list were addressed by iOS 7 (multitasking/control center/Siri improvements/etc).


    Future "must have" features:

    Three-Day Battery Life
    802.11ac Wi-Fi
    802.11ad Wi-Fi
    LTE Advanced
    Sign In with iCloud/iTunes (using three factor authentication)
    Purchase with iCloud/iTunes (using three factor authentication)
    Siri Enhancements (Siri has many, many more possible enhancements)
    Screen Sharing
    Remote Control
    Wi-Fi API Enhancements ("full access" to the Wi-Fi radio)


    I agree with the essence of the post, however. There are, perhaps, two more generations (after the next iPhone) of truly significant features.
  • Reply 26 of 52


    Prediction:


     


    Apple: Here's all the new features and more powerful stuff. And this and that and the other thing. Available in a couple weeks. There ya go.


     


    Market pundit: The 5s failed to have the holographic, time warping display option with precognitive features predicted by the cousin of the sister of our unnamed sources operating out of their uncle's shack in Ulan Bator. New Apple stock target is an imaginary negative number because synergy scalable agile best practices what Steve Jobs would think buzz buzzzzz buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...


     


    Tech media: ITZ NOT TEH INNOVATERS! BLAAAAAAAAHHHHRRRRRPPPPPP!


     


    Whiny autistigeeks: DERP! GOOGL 4EVAH! DERP! BUYINGTNEW PHONE TO GET OS UPDATES IZ A FEATURE!

  • Reply 27 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Prediction:

    Why aren't you an analyst? Think of the money you could be making by saying something that will ACTUALLY happen! :lol:
  • Reply 28 of 52
    morzee94morzee94 Posts: 13member
    Do you not understand what hardware is?

    I'm sorry but in that guys defended its well known that Apple leave out feature updates to older models in order to push newer ones. The iPhone 4 is perfectly capable of running Siri since all the app does is compress the audio and send it to Apple's servers to analyse. In fact if you jailbreak an IPhone 4 and install Siri from Cidia it works a treat as it just tricks apples servers to believe you're using a 4s not a 4. Though with that said in my opinion it is perfectly acceptable to leave out such features if it allows apple to give free updates which it does.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    morzee94 wrote: »
    The iPhone 4 is perfectly capable of running Siri...

    This is the ONLY example ANYONE EVER gives and you're always wrong about it. Try another, please.

    Features are left out because they don't work the way Apple intends them to work. They'd rather people not be able to complain about crap than to ship crap.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,826member
    1983 wrote: »
    If this is indeed a next-gen A7 SoC in a genuine 5S for later this year, then I'm surprised but pleased too.
    Aren't you jumping to conclusions here? Just because a new chip has A7 stamped on it doesn't mean that it will be dramatically better than previous generations. You really have to wait and see what is inside.
    As they would have to use current 28/32 nm process to manufacture it - which probably means higher power consumption than a A6.
    Well they may or may not use Samsungs 28/32 nm technology. This however supports my comments above, until we know the details of the chip there is little reason to get excited about its marketing name. By the way they could be building this at a smaller node or on a vastly improved 28 nm node. Also the architecture of the chip itself could change. So there is no way to tell if the chip will be a performance nightmare where the nightmare is excessive thermals.
    Maybe that higher capacity battery is there to compensate or even better but highly unlikely - there's an IGZO display in there too. That would make the extra juice from an A7 moot. 
    You really don't want to increase the power draw from your processor. This no matter what you do outside of the chip. I have no doubt that they can improve power draw even at the same feature size but the real question is can they offer significantly better performance. We will have to wait and see.

    As to that node size it may very well be that TSMC has a node ready at someplace around 22 nm. So don't rule out a partial node shrink.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,826member
    Future "must have" features:

    Three-Day Battery Life
    I don't think that will happen. Especially if Apple tries to deliver some of the high power features you want below.
    802.11ac Wi-Fi
    802.11ad Wi-Fi
    LTE Advanced
    Sign In with iCloud/iTunes (using three factor authentication)
    Purchase with iCloud/iTunes (using three factor authentication)
    Siri Enhancements (Siri has many, many more possible enhancements)
    Siri is enhanced continuously. They don't need an iOS update to do that. Unless of course they bring some of the AI onboard.
    Screen Sharing
    Remote Control
    Wi-Fi API Enhancements ("full access" to the Wi-Fi radio)


    I agree with the essence of the post, however. There are, perhaps, two more generations (after the next iPhone) of truly significant features.
    I don't know about that either. I wouldn't be surprised to see an iPhone that can completely eliminate the need for a desktop PC in the future. Even if PC elimination isn't the goal I can see years of sensor intention ahead for iPhone. With steady incremental upgrades I don't see a problem for the rest of the decade.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 12,826member
    Intel had Haswell iMacs for internal testing last year; it's not inconceivable.

    As will Apple with their internal chip designs. In Apples case I wold suspect that they have samples of next generation chips from several foundries and test them to make rational decision about who to go with as a supplier for the next generation of processors. All of this immature noise about Apple dropping Samsung because of the issues with lawsuits is really nonsense. Apple will go with the vendor that can offer the best solution for the coming years. Rumor on the street is that TSMC has done very well in this respect, they have apparently been able to deliver a viable 14NM process.

    Now I'm not expecting 14nm this year but rather something between that and 32nm. Actually feature size isn't as important these days as technology to reduce leakage currents. Finfets have great promise here.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quad core is not important.
    Power VR Rouge is important.

    And Apple should think about bumping memory to much higher then 1 gig since everything is going to be multitasked in iOS7.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    r1skor1sko Posts: 30member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post





    Could the red flash also be for red eye reduction?


     


    No, red eye reduction is a pre-flash that will close the retina. Red eye is cause by light reflecting off the back of the retina so you would want to un-diolate the retina to minimize the refection. To do that, you would pre-flash the subject prior to the exposure so the retina will close. You could also change the direction of the flash entering into the pupil. 


     


     


    >>


     


    one downside of the pre-flash method for red eye reduction is that a large number of people will blink or squint when pre-flash is utilized prior to taking a shot. I rather deal with a red eye than a closed eye image correction.

  • Reply 35 of 52
    FedGoatFedGoat Posts: 54member


    in response to taller skillet 


    Whatever internet troll. You have 25K posts because you think you know everything.


    No one can disagree with you because you are always right. 


     


    Wait and see. Apple WILL cave to the larger screen size in the next year and you will be the first one out the door to buy it. Once YOU own it, it will be the best thing ever. 


    Don't worry, with 25k posts, you will be here still posting 100 times a day arguing with anyone who doesn't share your point of view. 


    I will point it out to you when you change your tune. 


     


    And, instead of wasting space responding to the other douche. Man sized just means larger, not a phablet. 


    The S4 is barely a 1/4" taller and 1/4" wider than the iPhone 5. Go to walmart and places the screens face to face matching the bottom left corner and look at the MINOR difference in size. 


     


    go back to your 100 post per day, here is one more for you to respond to.

  • Reply 36 of 52
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 973member


    Why would iPhone 5S need a new processor? Is iOS 7 more bloated?

  • Reply 37 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,510member
    morzee94 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but in that guys defended its well known that Apple leave out feature updates to older models in order to push newer ones. The iPhone 4 is perfectly capable of running Siri since all the app does is compress the audio and send it to Apple's servers to analyse. In fact if you jailbreak an IPhone 4 and install Siri from Cidia it works a treat as it just tricks apples servers to believe you're using a 4s not a 4. Though with that said in my opinion it is perfectly acceptable to leave out such features if it allows apple to give free updates which it does.

    Since Siri is STILL too jammed to respond on weekend evenings, and that's almost every weekend, I have to conclude that Apple is restricting access to Siri until they get new data centers into operation.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Features are left out because they don't work the way Apple intends them to work. They'd rather people not be able to complain about crap than to ship crap.
    Then they should've left Siri out all together. *rim shot*. Thank you... Thank you....
  • Reply 39 of 52
    bosco08bosco08 Posts: 19member
    Let me make this simpler for you. See ios 7 is coming out (software). And a new iPhone is coming out (hardware). What I'm saying is, Apple will upgrade the hardware and then tell us that certain features of ios 7 will only run on this new hardware. Got it? Thus, leaving out many of the iPhone 5 users.

    99.99% of this forum understands what I meant.
  • Reply 40 of 52

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by r4d4 View Post


    in response to taller skillet 


    Whatever internet troll. You have 25K posts because you think you know everything.


    No one can disagree with you because you are always right. 


     


    Wait and see. Apple WILL cave to the larger screen size in the next year and you will be the first one out the door to buy it. Once YOU own it, it will be the best thing ever. 


    Don't worry, with 25k posts, you will be here still posting 100 times a day arguing with anyone who doesn't share your point of view. 


    I will point it out to you when you change your tune. 


     


    And, instead of wasting space responding to the other douche. Man sized just means larger, not a phablet. 


    The S4 is barely a 1/4" taller and 1/4" wider than the iPhone 5. Go to walmart and places the screens face to face matching the bottom left corner and look at the MINOR difference in size. 


     


    go back to your 100 post per day, here is one more for you to respond to.



     


    Meanwhile, back in the real world, people are buying and actually using their iPhones.

Sign In or Register to comment.