iBook Buzzing noise with earphones

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I notice a buzzing/humming noise from my earphones when I connect them to my iBook.

When I open the optical drive and whenever I touch the base of the drive, the sound goes away. If I let go, the sound comes back again.

Is there any way to fix the buzzing sound which is rather annoying?

Thanks.

I have an iBook 500 DVD (first icebook)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    GB Material. moving there.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    does the buzzing occur only when there's a CD in the drive, or all of the time?

does it occur with every CD, or just a few?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I think this is just normal EMI/RFI (electro/magnetic/radio interference) generated from the insides of the ibook, I can always pick up a hum/buzz when I have earphones plugged into my iBook, especially when I'm using the trackpad. Though, it is worse when I plug the earphone in in such a way that the computer thinks a video device is being plugged (the headphone port also has video capabilities), I just plug it in really fast I suppose.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    No, it has nothing to do with having a cd inside.

It's probably electromagnetic interference but why does it go away if I touch the bottom of the optical drive?

I don't notice any buzzing when I use the trackpad and my problem does not lie in the fact that the computer thinks I'm pluggin in an av cable.

So any ideas on how I can get rid of this noise?

I don't get it when I plug earphones on my old iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    This started happening to me after I opened up my iBook when I was going to overclock it. I never clocked it, realizing that was kind of ridiculous... Anyway over time the buzzing disappeared but it's still there if I listen really carefully on high volume. Moral of the story: don't screw around with the innards of your iBook.