iOS 7 beta: Find My 'iDevice' gets more secure with password disable

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's beta build of iOS 7 makes it more difficult for thieves to get away with stealing an iOS device by requiring a user's password to be entered when disabling the "Find My iPhone" functionality.

password

The new feature, found in pre-release builds of iOS 7 made available to developers and first discovered by AppleInsider reader Tom, also applies to the iPad. Users can open the Settings application, choose iCloud, then "Find My iPhone," and flipping the switch to off brings up a password prompt.

The addition addresses a potential issue that users have noticed for years, since the "Find My iPhone" functionality came to iOS 4 in 2010. With iOS 7, users who may not feel the need to utilize the passcode lock screen can still enjoy added security for the Find My iPhone feature, making it more difficult for a thief to turn it off.

password

Of course, someone who has stolen an iPhone or iPad could simply turn off the device, or remove a SIM card. But the new feature is just an added level of security for those who may be unfortunate enough to have their device stolen.

For in-depth coverage of Apple's new mobile operating system, see AppleInsider's Inside iOS 7 series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Next step would be to get GPS to work even without the sim card inserted. Or require a password to power it off.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    It would be great if "Find iPhone" does not crash in iOS 7 beta 2.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    and what's this 'Activation Lock' all about?
  • Reply 4 of 41
    titantiger wrote: »
    Next step would be to get GPS to work even without the sim card inserted. Or require a password to power it off.

I've sent apple numerous requests to add a feature that requires a password to be entered to power off the device.

Having the GPS work with or without sim would be awesome as well.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    It won't prevent some slimeball from stealing your iDevice, but it could go a long way to removing the financial incentive if your iCloud login was required to deactivate the current SIM card.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    Also, in the UK when a phone is lost this is what most/all people do:

1/ Immediately inform network who will block sim to prevent unauthorised use
    2/ Immediately inform insurance company of loss
    3/ Instigate a remote wipe if possibile to protect data

Does this feature mitigate the need for any of these steps?
  • Reply 7 of 41
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    titantiger wrote: »

Or get the device to send all remaining electrical energy to the metal exterior when incorrectly attempting to disable 'Find My iPhone', tasing the shit out of them and branding the word 'THIEF' onto their hand.

That'd be...fun.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kkqd1337 wrote: »

No but sometimes you want to track the bloody hooligans who took it.
  • Reply 9 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post

No but this feature may aide in the recovery of the device

• Reply 10 of 41
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    Does it prevent thieves from simply wiping the device and restoring to factory settings?
  • Reply 11 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by markbriton View Post

Does it prevent thieves from simply wiping the device and restoring to factory settings?

I could be wrong, but I believe during the keynote it was mentioned that this passcode would be required even after wiping the device. 

• Reply 12 of 41
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    I could be wrong, but I believe during the keynote it was mentioned that this passcode would be required even after wiping the device. 

from apple:

a new Find My iPhone Activation Lock feature that requires your Apple ID and password before you can turn off Find My iPhone, erase data or re-activate a device after it’s been remotely erased;
  • Reply 13 of 41
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Grow up. Or look up a dictionary. (Unless you meant to add the '/s' tag, in which case, I apologize)
  • Reply 14 of 41
    @markbritton, activation lock does.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

What part of "beta" flew by you?

• Reply 16 of 41
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    iTunes required me to turn off Find My iPhone to perform a restore to the new beta which of course required the above. Slick stuff.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    How about requiring a password to power-off a locked iPhone? That a no-brainer.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    thebumthebum Posts: 58member
    It would be even more secure if the feature also asked for Apple ID, maybe as an option.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Find my iPhone is able to locate my iPad just fine--and my iPad has no SIM card and no GPS (it's a WiFi-only model). Same with Find my Mac. Obviously, WiFi location doesn't work everywhere, but it can be pretty good.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    normmnormm Posts: 653member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post

iOS 7 also has the "activation lock" feature, which can be enabled from iCloud.  Then even if a device is wiped by a thief and restored to factory state, it can't be reactivated on any cell network without typing in your iCloud password.  This is supposed to make stolen iPhones almost worthless.