First look: Apple's latest iOS 7 beta debuts on iPad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 136
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    asdasd wrote: »

It's easier to see the "shelves" now, but that also gives it the effect of being like the smoked glass layers of the UI proper, and that doesn't help.

I really don't think they know what to do about their book UIs. I would have preferred Newsstand, iBooks, and iTunes U combined as a single app. Have iBooks be on shelves like now, Newsstand gets metal shelving, and iTunes U keeps its darker-colored wood (make it based on cherry or mahogany or something). Then each category is easily distinguishable and has a styling appropriate to its most common real-world form. Either that or just nothing at all, like Videos, because that works quite well.
  • Reply 102 of 136
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Decent reply TS. And slightly critical of Apple.

You ok?
  • Reply 103 of 136
    You ok?

There's just way more nonsensical criticism of Apple here than there is nonsensical faith. You'll therefore see me reply to the former more than the latter. :p

I really think they ought to kick up the drop shadows in iOS 7. Maybe not to 6 levels, but more than now. I'm sort of confused why iOS 7 slimmed down its font and OS X has bolded it. Compare filenames between 10.8 and 10.9; they're a lot bolder! No clue why; it was fine the way it is...

It's Apple, after all. Remember they used to argue over single pixels? As long as that is still happening, they'll make a quality product. Speaking somewhat on that, the icons are all done around a single theme now. That's all well and good, as it creates a sense of unity, but followed too strictly the UI will become "cookie cutter". I don't know that this is the case; I'm just saying. There's a balance Apple has to hit, but lately they've been treating it more like a pendulum than they should.

If they believe it swung too far one way (skeuomorphism), the danger is in letting it swing too far back the other (zero actual design to the UI). Making a calendar look like a physical desktop calendar is great. Making its design so puffy and garish it looks as though it could stick out of the screen is not. It's said that Calendar (Find My Friends) took its design from Steve's private jet, which is visibly apparent. Now, I'm not really sure why Steve LIKED that jet's upholstery in the first place, but that's a whole different issue.

Something like this would have been "a bit much". :lol:

But something like this for the top bar and border, well... is more tasteful. You can still see that it's going for the "leather calendar" analogue, but it's not completely and utterly devoid of design.

I think that if Calendar in OS X (and iOS, if it doesn't have it already) would be even better if they gave it that nice little mottled white background they've given to text input fields in iOS. Then you'd have the clean, stripped down interface already created, but with some heart to it–with a tie to the physical analogue so that it becomes more than just a blank screen.
  • Reply 104 of 136
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

New gradients.

The most obvious thing they fixed is that you can now actually read the text.  In the previous version, 'Newsstand' was white against that light blue background.  It was unreadable.  The next thing they need to do is fix the 'Store' label, which still offers too little contrast between figure and ground.

• Reply 105 of 136
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Yeah, TS. The prime example of the war against skeumorphism is the notes app. Now it's a text view with a yellow back button. Like a My First App. That kind of thing - notes which looked vaguely like their real world counterparts - is nowhere near the garishness of Game Center for instance. It was ok.
  • Reply 106 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There's just way more nonsensical criticism of Apple here than there is nonsensical faith. You'll therefore see me reply to the former more than the latter. image

I really think they ought to kick up the drop shadows in iOS 7. Maybe not to 6 levels, but more than now. It's Apple, after all. Remember they used to argue over single pixels? As long as that is still happening, they'll make a quality product. Speaking somewhat on that, the icons are all done around a single theme now. That's all well and good, as it creates a sense of unity, but followed too strictly the UI will become "cookie cutter". I don't know that this is the case; I'm just saying. There's a balance Apple has to hit, but lately they've been treating it more like a pendulum than they should.

If they believe it swung too far one way (skeuomorphism), the danger is in letting it swing too far back the other (zero actual design to the UI). Making a calendar look like a physical desktop calendar is great. Making its design so puffy and garish it looks as though it could stick out of the screen is not. It's said that Calendar (Find My Friends) took its design from Steve's private jet, which is visibly apparent. Now, I'm not really sure why Steve LIKED that jet's upholstery in the first place, but that's a whole different issue.

Something like this would have been "a bit much". image

But something like this for the top bar and border, well... is more tasteful. You can still see that it's going for the "leather calendar" analogue, but it's not completely and utterly devoid of design.

I think that if Calendar in OS X (and iOS, if it doesn't have it already) would be even better if they gave it that nice little mottled white background they've given to text input fields in iOS. Then you'd have the clean, stripped down interface already created, but with some heart to it–with a tie to the physical analogue so that it becomes more than just a blank screen.

Good grief.  You badgered me in your special trollish fashion earlier, and then you turn right around and parrot some of the very criticisms I have been making since the day IOS7 was revealed.  Pure genius.

• Reply 107 of 136
    tt92618 wrote: »
    Good grief.  You badgered me in your special trollish fashion earlier, and then you turn right around and parrot the very criticisms I have been making since the day IOS7 was revealed.  Pure genius.

You lose; please don't try again. :no:
    The prime example of the war against skeumorphism is the notes app. Now it's a text view with a yellow back button. Like a My First App. That kind of thing - notes which looked vaguely like their real world counterparts - is nowhere near the garishness of Game Center for instance. It was ok.

I know! Notes was great. It looked just like a real yellow legal pad. But this? THIS?!
    This is just bluh. No lines, no formatting...

Worst part is, the icon (OS X) still looks like the real deal, which means you know the entire lineup of OS X applications is getting an icon overhaul before GM! :(

Note that Reminders in OS X is still pretty. It still looks like one side of one of those leather folios. I think the texture to the black part of it is more muted, but that makes it look even better than otherwise!
  • Reply 108 of 136
    EDIT: whoops, double.
  • Reply 109 of 136

Quote:

You lose; please don't try again. image

I know! Notes was great. It looked just like a real yellow legal pad. But this? THIS?!

This is just bluh. No lines, no formatting...

Worst part is, the icon (OS X) still looks like the real deal, which means you know the entire lineup of OS X applications is getting an icon overhaul before GM! image

Note that Reminders in OS X is still pretty. It still looks like one side of one of those leather folios. I think the texture to the black part of it is more muted, but that makes it look even better than otherwise!

Special points go to you for your trollish use of emoticons; they act to ramp up the credibility of your argument incredibly.  Keep up the good work!

Wait, let me add some too: these are in advance for your reply:  imageimageimageimage

Gee, I guess I have a touch of the 'tallest skil' too.

• Reply 110 of 136
    Special points go to you for your trollish use of emoticons; they act to ramp up the credibility of your argument incredibly.  Keep up the good work!

There's no emoticon for "when you actually decide to have an argument at all instead of just your nonsensical claims as per the post earlier on this very page, deciding not to provide any proof for them but instead posting absolutely anything at all as long as it's not on the topic you originally posted, give me a call."

The Japanese like their emoji, but not that much.

Now please, just go away until you understand anything you're trying to talk about.
  • Reply 111 of 136

Quote:

There's no emoticon for "when you actually decide to have an argument at all instead of just your nonsensical claims as per the post earlier on this very page, deciding not to provide any proof for them but instead posting absolutely anything at all as long as it's not on the topic you originally posted, give me a call."

The Japanese like their emoji, but not that much.

Now please, just go away until you understand anything you're trying to talk about.

Listen pal, here is a little secret: you don't actually make arguments; You simply dismiss everybody.  You play around here like you are some kind of technical expert but the reality is that you can't pull together two bits to buy an iPhone.  The 'geostationary tower' you live in is proximal to your mama's bedroom and in orbit around the planet "haven't got a clue."

In your almost reasonable sounding post you essentially raised some of the same points I have been raising - the very same points that you roundly reject when other people make them.  But, since you have made them yourself, now, I guess that makes you feel all special because now you have the veneer of self-proclaimed originality to cling to.

Why don't you do all of us a favor and stop pretending you are some sort of industry veteran.  I am happy to wager that you have NO basis for any of the commentary you make.  You have no credibility at all - zero.  Your points are all made from a snobbish 'I'm a meteor intellect' perspective, but they almost universally take the form of dismissing every idea that you didn't put forth yourself.  In short, you contribute nothing.  I haven't seen you put forth an original idea in any exemplar out of your ridiculously high post count.  And what industry experience do you have to back your prodigious and self proclaimed expertise?  What projects are you involved in?  What have you done?  What  have you contributed to this industry?  See, the rest of us recognize a total film-flam man when we see one.

Grow up, drop the sophomoric pseudo-intelectualism, and meet arguments with real debate and actual thought.  Your post count will likely drop, but you will look like less of a moron to the rest of us.

• Reply 112 of 136
    [quote name="tt92618"]...you can't pull together two bits to buy an iPhone.[/QUOTE]

So, once again, because you refused to answer before, your belief is that ownership and use of a product is not sufficient to comment on said product, correct? I demand an answer.
  • Reply 113 of 136

Quote:

So, once again, because you refused to answer before, your belief is that ownership and use of a product is not sufficient to comment on said product, correct? I demand an answer.

I think a person can demonstrate keen insight and understanding without personally owning a device.  I just don't think you do that.

• Reply 114 of 136
    I think a person can demonstrate keen insight and understanding without personally owning a device.  I just don't think you do that.

Ha! Not bad, not bad.

Still not gonna justify anything you said earlier, though, huh?
  • Reply 115 of 136

Quote:

Ha! Not bad, not bad.

Still not gonna justify anything you said earlier, though, huh?

What, specifically, would you like me to justify?  You seldom justify any of the inane pot-shots you take at people, why should anyone provide such justification to you?

When you want to actually exchange ideas and have real discussions, maybe you'll merit having someone do something other than shoot down what you say and dismiss it.  Until then, expect to get treated like you treat others.

• Reply 116 of 136
    [quote name="tt92618" url="/t/158220/first-look-apples-latest-ios-7-beta-debuts-on-ipad/80#post_2352390"]What, specifically, would you like me to justify?[/QUOTE]

Your entire post, I guess. Given that it's full of blatant lies and obvious FUD, you could at least [I]try[/I] to pretend to provide proof of some of what you said.
  • Reply 117 of 136
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

Seems like you hit a nerve with that one. image

Funny how the person that posts more often than anyone else about any and every iPhone related article doesn't even own an iPhone. Don't bother asking him why he won't buy one or what phone he uses if any since he will simply ignore those questions. Always the bridesmaid but never the bride when it come to owning an iPhone. But always the first one to tell iPhone owners why they are wrong about any observation they make from actually using one. 

• Reply 118 of 136
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimguy View Post

I have to say that a lot of the color choices are a bit too reminiscent of Windows XP.

And that's a bad thing.

No. because Apple will do it properly.

Cheers

• Reply 119 of 136
    ruel24 wrote: »
    Let's see, when a designer designs something, and the public rejects it, then the designer is a failure. Am I missing something? If a designer came into your house and did a gaudy job, in your opinion, you don't have a right to complain because you're not a design expert? Fail...

Are you talking about Windows 8 Metro? Yeah, the public rejected it. It's a failure.
  • Reply 120 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

That keyboard is just butt ugly. If I wanted a frosted glass table top which that keyboard depicts I'd buy coffee tables with that look.

I don't mind the look of the keyboard. I just hope iOS 7 lets me change it to Dvorak so I can tap out messages the same way I type for real.