Sony goes for the wrist again with higher-res, NFC-enabled SmartWatch 2

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a move that could eventually mean competition with Apple in the still-nascent wearable computing market, Sony on Tuesday officially revealed the next generation of its SmartWatch line.

Hinted at last week in a number of tweets, the SmartWatch Sony unveiled on Tuesday bears some improvements over its predecessor, which was released last year. The new device adds near-field communication connectivity, allowing users to pair the device with an NFC-capable Android phone just by tapping it to the phone.

Design-wise, the new SmartWatch has higher quality materials than did the first version. The SmartWatch 2 has a stainless steel wristband, while the main body of the device has an aluminum build. The SmartWatch 2 also has a higher resolution on its display, which is also better tailored for outdoor visibility. The 1.6-inch screen outputs at 220x176 and bears a much smaller bezel than its predecessor.

Sony has also boosted the device's battery life, increased the number of pre-installed apps, and improved the user interface for the device. The UI for the SmartWatch 2 is tailored to mimic the UI of Android, with capacitive keys on its face to help navigate home, back, and into menus.

As this is the second generation of the SmartWatch, Sony has a head start on its presumptive competition in the smart watch segment. The SmartWatch 2, though, does not appear to have much in the way of functionality beyond connecting to a user's smartphone.

Apple's rumored smart watch, by comparison, may integrate biometric sensors to measure users life signs. Such technology, observers argue, would help Apple's device to have more usefulness in healthcare, fitness, and other fields.

Sony has given no indication on how much the device will cost when it ships to stores in September. When it does launch, it will come up against competition from the likes of Pebble's smart watch, which has a lower resolution display but works across both iOS and Android, unlike the Android-specific SmartWatch 2.

Sony may also find itself with bigger competition than just the upstart Pebble, as Microsoft and Google as well as Apple have been said to be working on their own smart watch devices. The tech giants are said to be positioning themselves to grab a slice of a wearable computing market estimated by some to be worth billions over the next few years.

Apple in particular has been the subject of much interest and speculation with regard to wearable tech. CEO Tim Cook has already admitted that the company is looking beyond its iPhone and iPad for new potential moneymakers, and multiple rumors earlier this year had Apple working on a smart watch concept.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Bring it on, Apple.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 2 of 18

I don't know anyone who's particularly excited about the potential of a smartwatch.  I guess it's a product that will have to build a market.  If any company can do it, it's Apple.  Good luck Sony.  Of course, Samsung has probably already sold 10 million smartwatches in the week before announcing it.  ;)   /s

• Reply 3 of 18
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    This consistent pattern of companies rushing to beat Apple to market in new product categories, I believe, helps Apple.

Apple can sit back, watch and learn from the mistakes of these early failed entries. And when consumers have gotten used to these new gadgets and see the potential benefits, then Apple can launch their integrated and well-designed version.

Boom, success!
  • Reply 4 of 18
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I've got a friend who really likes the pebble, but is frustrated by its limitations. I think once people start using them, they wish they could do more. He told me he had one of those Microsoft watches back in the day, so definitely an early adopter.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

This consistent pattern of companies rushing to beat Apple to market in new product categories, I believe, helps Apple.

Apple can sit back, watch and learn from the mistakes of these early failed entries. And when consumers have gotten used to these new gadgets and see the potential benefits, then Apple can launch their integrated and well-designed version.

Boom, success!

Was apple the first into the Internet-TV-appliance/tablet/smartphone/mp3-player/laptop/all-in1-computer market?   Nor was the market built.  The market is always at, "Gee, I don't think I can do all the crap necessary to own a <insert gadget name here>, it's too hard for what it can do"      

Prior to the iPhone, no one tried to 'beat' apple to the market... They didn't believe Apple could define a market, let alone needed 'beating'.  Even the iPod was considered a 'lucky break,' and the iPhone was too expensive, not-app enabled, and only on ATT.  And we all thought the iPad was gonna be $1000.   

Once apple can see a use case where it can market:  "The <insert product here> for the rest of us", that's when they jump in.  With both feet.  In boots.  Those that are there first, are crushed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I don't know anyone who's particularly excited about the potential of a smartwatch.  I guess it's a product that will have to build a market.  If any company can do it, it's Apple.  Good luck Sony.  Of course, Samsung has probably already sold 10 million smartwatches in the week before announcing it.  ;)   /s

Apple coalesces the market.   The moment before no one can see it.  The moment after, everyone beleives there was no history pre-Apple.  Ask 10 people on the street what came before the iPod... I'll be surprised if 2 people name an MP3 player... and anyone under the age of 40 who say 'DiscMan' got hand me downs from dad.   Same for the iPhone and iPad.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I've got a friend who really likes the pebble, but is frustrated by its limitations. I think once people start using them, they wish they could do more. He told me he had one of those Microsoft watches back in the day, so definitely an early adopter.

Early adopters are great, but it's crossing the chasm that Apple excels at.   Apple cares little for early "I'll try anything" adopters.  Apple loves mass market "I have a need that Apple's products solve' appeal.

• Reply 6 of 18
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Hello. Now you know of one. Me.

I remember getting a watch with integrated USB cable in the strap and had 128Mb Storage (wow!!) and played mp3's back in 2003. Was so handy when running or skiing , and for transferring files.

Then a few years later, got a phone watch, had camera, could play music, videos etc. Was completely useless for all those items as the interface was designed by a sock puppet, i'd say. But perfect for going out at night, or again, skiing. No need to worry about losing/damaging phone, but still contactable/can call a cab.

With a Bt headset, very handy.

Cant wait for a 'good' version of this tech. Pebble is very close. But agreed, it will take Apple to show them how its done.

• Reply 7 of 18
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Sony who? Seriously, it looks like another direct ripoff of the iPhone with its black anodized body and chamfered edges, only in a square format. How innovative.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

In before all the haute anti-watch comments are posted.

/You nailed it, Lemon.

• Reply 9 of 18

Watch out, Rolex. Sony is coming to get you. /s

• Reply 10 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Sony who? Seriously, it looks like another direct ripoff of the iPhone with its black anodized body and chamfered edges, only in a square format. How innovative.

Yeah, where have I seen this "smart watch" concept before...?

• Reply 11 of 18
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    Possibles for an "iWatch":

1) iPhone functionality: Calls, clock (obv), notifications, Siri

2) Fuelband/up/nano pedometer, open to these kind of movement tracking applications

3) Biometrics: authentication, recording of pulse etc.

4) Radio comms: payments, passes (ski pass?), universal remote?

The potential for cross-over with these kind of functions is amazing, if not a little scary.

On form-factor, they have a choice of watch face with an included, interchangeable band or integrated into the band itself.

One thing's for sure, it will be simultaneously lauded and derided before it is panned. And then it'll be on the cover of Time.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    binexbinex Posts: 23member
    I have got a iPod nano with watch strap which looks great but to be honest I haven't used it much. I might be tempted by another Apple one if it offered the right functionality, but it would have to offer a compelling value proposition for me to get back into the habit of wearing a watch again!

For me the Pebble is quite ugly and the fact that it chops off the round clock faces would annoy the sh*t out of me. I admire a small company having a crack at it, but I just can't get excited about it.
    timmydax wrote: »

2) Fuelband/up/nano pedometer, open to these kind of movement tracking application

The potential for cross-over with these kind of functions is amazing, if not a little scary.

On form-factor, they have a choice of watch face with an included, interchangeable band or integrated into the band itself.

One thing's for sure, it will be simultaneously lauded and derided before it is panned. And then it'll be on the cover of Time.

I did spot recently another "smart watch" contender that covers much of your list and claims some additional iOS integration eg. Activate Siri etc. that might be worth checking out

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kreyos-the-only-smartwatch-with-voice-gesture-control
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Made it android pacific huh? Well I would like IOS espivally with Bluetooth notification feature (P.S. great for a apple smart watch that connects to iPhone as accessory)
  • Reply 14 of 18
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

Boom, success!

Yup, you've just summarised Apple's strategy for the past fifteen years or so. They watched Microsoft struggle and fail with the tablet concept over and over, before finally releasing a tablet of their own.

• Reply 15 of 18
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

2) Fuelband/up/nano pedometer, open to these kind of movement tracking applications

The good thing about a watch is that you don't put it away like with a phone, so you will pretty much always be able to hear it if it speaks. I think whatever Apple do with a watch, Siri will be a big part of it. Maybe even Siri will be it's only function...

• Reply 16 of 18
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member

DOA!

• Reply 17 of 18
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Without a thick bezel, it doesn't look like an iPhone at all.   It does evoke other square watchfaces:

• Reply 18 of 18

You can bet your bottom dollar that if/when Apple releases iWatch it will be a product that creates a new order of functionality. I can't predict what surprises it will unleash but if there isn't a niche to justify its place in Apple's portfolio it won't get made. My bet is on Siri control (remember the fuss when Apple ditched the physical keys on the iPhone? The floppy disc? The hard disc!? Given that for a range of functions the screen is redundant  then I'd be surprised if it was key to the product.) You can also bet your bottom dollar that Sony, Samsung and Microsoft will use their presence in the market with whatever order of functionality to claim that they thought of it first!