IDC: Apple's iPhone sheds European marketshare in Q1, pushed out of top 5 in India

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

This study confirms in my mind the reasoning behind a lower cost iPhone.

In the US its not needed but around the world Apple is in characteristically losing ground.

My hope at this point is that the low cost iPhone will be something groundbreaking. Not just the rumored iPhone 5 in a plastic shell.

cheaper iPhone in Europe will not be game changer alone. Market is splitting to 4" low(mid) cost phones and large screen premium. 

current (or past)           moving to

----------------------------------------------------------

4" premium                 4.5"-5" premium

3.5-4" mid                   mostly stays the same on move to above (minority)

low cost and feature    3.5-4" mid or stays

4" premium is dying out similar to feature. If iPhone wouldn't be 4" premium, this class would be wiped out already....

• Reply 22 of 108
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Nope. Totally wrong. Come to Europe and see what the vast majority of new phones especially with population that frequently buys new ones are. Apple is loosing share on its ground: so-called premium. Considering screen size to be killer feature over here, Apple holds remarkably high market share. Still. Reasons are other features and above all overall quality. Young people being the largest customer don't care so much about either: killer app in Europe is still messaging and every boy and girl will tell you that is easier to type on larger screen, and using Facebook as well.

I can also tell you how it feels on development: my team of iOS developers has grown from 4 to 5 in 2 years and Android team has grown from 0 to 7 in same period. OK, they have more crap to cope with, that is true. It is also true we have more work as before as well, but incomparably to Android team. Bottom line: Android gets used more an more. People buying those phones soon or a later start to use Google's services and get used to crappy interface. Majority of them will find impossible to go to iOS as it was for me impossible to go to Android. They are lost market, not for phones, let us forget about crappy phones once, but for services, for Apple account on Appstore and iTunes. Apple is talking so much about all this but do so little to make it mainstream success. There is only limited amount of money person will spend for such services. To enhance them you need more earning an those are possible with mass only beyond average dollar to be spend per person….

Times when young people just upgraded from iPod to iPhones are all but over. Most of the young people, new smartphone users from this year onward will not even know what the iPod is. They will not choose on legacy, they will also not choose on quality that much. They choose on variety, functionality and on what is hot today. Far East production of everything else has learned them to buy new stuff frequently and that quality is not the most important. 

Year 2013 will be lost year for Apple, known to profit in crises in saturation, they haven't had plan B to cope with 4" retina legacy, or better SJ legacy that brought problems to TC. If it would be for TC himself, he would have put through plan B in last year already, but he has a mentality to fight on other places. I think Apple brass is just not prepared or know how to be a mainstream company. For us, developers, that is a shame, for geeks this is yet another opportunity to fill their empty lives and stay cool in the shadow…

Well... I'm not sure how to take your info.  You seem like a shill.  The European bit gives you and edge though.  I was in Europe recently, and I honestly noticed very few iPhones.  I did see a lot of iPads!

I agree that the larger screen sizes are nice, and I see them a lot in New England.  I do have a hard time understanding your build quality statements.  Unless they were purchased for them (the younger ones) then if I absolutely had to go with an Android phone it would almost certainly have to be the HTC1.  However I suppose if your parents are giving it to you then you get what you're given.

Then again, a close friend of mine is a bouncer at a very prominent night club here in New England and he said he very rarely notices Apple's phones.  Mostly large screen phones.

I'm kind of 50/50 on the subject.  But I do agree that the youth (strange to say that because I'm only 24) will have the biggest impact while voting with dollars.

Edit:  O.K. I re-read your post.  I did go to school for computer sciences (among many things) and I can write both an Android and an iPhone APP.  It's actually easier to write an Android APP so saying they (your developers) have more "***" to cope with is beyond reasonable so you're a shill.  Sorry!  I don't believe anything you said anymore.

No matter what the Apple fanatics say here, it is literally twice as time consuming to write a specific app for iOS than it is for Android.  The applications that are done right and actually LOOK good took at LEAST twice the amount of time.  Even if the fanatics say it's easier to write an iOS version...  They're just nuts!

Tallest!  This one deserves your... (humor?)

• Reply 23 of 108

Quote:

cheaper iPhone in Europe will not be game changer alone. Market is splitting to 4" low(mid) cost phones and large screen premium. 

----------------------------------------------------------

4" premium is dying out similar to feature. If iPhone wouldn't be 4" premium, this class would be wiped out already....

I still think you're a shill, but I agree that the popular screen size has gone beyond what Apple wants to do without fragmentation.

Honestly if dollars are voting, (and not sane people), they'll increase the screen size.  Sadly in the fast moving world of cell phones, next year may be too late.

They do have a history of surprising.  

Normally in the U.S. the fashion moves from the West coast to the East coast.  This would be a surprising reversal.

• Reply 24 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Edit:  O.K. I re-read your post.  I did go to school for computer sciences (among many things) and I can write both an Android and an iPhone APP.  It's actually easier to write an Android APP so saying they (your developers) have more "***" to cope with is beyond reasonable so you're a shill.  Sorry!  I don't believe anything you said anymore.

No matter what the Apple fanatics say here, it is literally twice as time consuming to write a specific app for iOS than it is for Android.  The applications that are done right and actually LOOK good took at LEAST twice the amount of time.  Even if the fanatics say it's easier to write an iOS version...  They're just nuts!

Great, you went to school for computer science and you "can" write both apps. Good for you. Now let me explain to you what is a "***" to cope with:

- while many people get shivers even seeing square brackets of Objective C comparing to Java it it still a C language. We do project that incorporate C and C++ externals and we can use it with 0 effort, without NDK and any problems that can come around corner. And they do, as much as simple as it may sound

- Objective C being hard to learn is a myth, has nothing to do with reality, it is already the 3rd used language...

- Xcode is limited IDE in terms of languages supported, but extremely well suited for iOS and OS X development, much more than Eclipse with SDK for Android

- generally Xcode is faster to work with, easier to maintain

- while testing on Android makes almost 0 effort, it takes much more effort to make apps secure

- I have very exact Simulators for every iOS model. How does that look like on Android SDK?

- integration of simulator and IDE gives a lot of small, but very useful features you don't even count with unless very much needed as easy location spoofing and stuff..

- wanna see how much time is spent on android on screen size fragmentation alone? Imagine I make easily the same app for 10 and 8" iPad, what is my colleague doing when supporting Galaxy Tab 2 and Nexus 7 with same app?

- fragmentation of hardware has caused us to select only some android hardware to support it happened many times problems occurred in the middle of product cycle, like the last one with Nexus's crapy front camera...

I could go on here far further, because this is just a glimpse of reality. The fact you selected one single irrelevant point from the whole story speaks for yourself. Speaks about dogmatic immaturity, like finding some needle in haystack just to oppose. You are young and have time to grow and learn beyond "can". Because you will have to, to survive, since you are not genius as I am not. We wouldn't post here if we were...

• Reply 25 of 108

Quote:

I still think you're a shill, but I agree that the popular screen size has gone beyond what Apple wants to do without fragmentation.

Honestly if dollars are voting, (and not sane people), they'll increase the screen size.  Sadly in the fast moving world of cell phones, next year may be too late.

Normally in the U.S. the fashion moves from the West coast to the East coast.  This would be a surprising reversal.

I stil think you are immature calling people shills picking one irrelevant point out of context trying to patronize in arrogant way.

• Reply 26 of 108
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And with that, the concern trolls have their bad news to "worry" about.

No, with "that," the nay sayers who've been poo poo'ing the iPhone Light rumors have their justification to shut up.

• Reply 27 of 108
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Presumably this data excludes the UK? I know a large percentage of Brits favour iPhones & Apple products in general.
  • Reply 28 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Presumably this data excludes the UK? I know a large percentage of Brits favour iPhones & Apple products in general.

Includes most probably. still UK comprises something like 12-13% of the total market? However, yes, I can notice much , much more iPhone presence in UK than in Germany and Austria, for example.

• Reply 29 of 108

The problem with Apple in Europe is far more complicated that  is sound... First, 60% of europeans are left out of apple ecosistem ..... For me, maps is unusable, siri is not working, not to speak about apple store.. no movies or tv shows! Also, there is no Apple Store, so we have to buy phones from carriers.. if an american pay 99$ for a iPhone, we have to pay like 300 Euros and to take a contract for at least 2 years .. I am a iphone user, and probabbly I will still be, but if Apple continue to focus only on American market.. I do not know .. and I can bet hat the problem is the same for India to... If I pay for something premium, I expect premium services.. It seem that google understud that, and Apple no. My friends with samsung galaxy can have voice guidance in native language, can buy movies and tv shows .. not me .. So, for me, as long as Apple will focus only on  American market, the future is not bright outside that wall

• Reply 30 of 108
    It is understandable as poor people are more than rich .
  • Reply 31 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokra128 View Post

The problem with Apple in Europe is far more complicated that  is sound... First, 60% of europeans are left out of apple ecosistem ..... For me, maps is unusable, siri is not working, not to speak about apple store.. no movies or tv shows! Also, there is no Apple Store, so we have to buy phones from carriers.. if an american pay 99$ for a iPhone, we have to pay like 300 Euros and to take a contract for at least 2 years .. I am a iphone user, and probabbly I will still be, but if Apple continue to focus only on American market.. I do not know .. and I can bet hat the problem is the same for India to... If I pay for something premium, I expect premium services.. It seem that google understud that, and Apple no. My friends with samsung galaxy can have voice guidance in native language, can buy movies and tv shows .. not me .. So, for me, as long as Apple will focus only on  American market, the future is not bright outside that wall

- I originate from Slovenia, I can buy there music and TV shows all within negotiated IP right for the particular country or region

- I can also buy everything else from other services stores

- we pay shit load of more money for everything else as well. This is called "oil-dollar" policy from Nixon's office further...:))   S4 actually costs more than iPhone 5

- I have voice guidance in native language in my navigation app as well, but I agree, everything originate from Apple has limited localization

- Maps are problem in general, not just in Europe. However, while content and accuracy may grow in the future, solid technology foundations are laid and are superior to google's

I'm not downplaying your problems, I want just to point out situation is not the same from country to country. In Germany and Austria your problems hardly exists, but Apple is still loosing market share there, so the reasons are different.

• Reply 32 of 108
    This delightful development demands that we ask the following:
    How is your "thermonuclear war" going, Timmy?

SK FTW!
  • Reply 33 of 108

Quote:

Great, you went to school for computer science and you "can" write both apps. Good for you. Now let me explain to you what is a "***" to cope with:

- while many people get shivers even seeing square brackets of Objective C comparing to Java it it still a C language. We do project that incorporate C and C++ externals and we can use it with 0 effort, without NDK and any problems that can come around corner. And they do, as much as simple as it may sound

- Objective C being hard to learn is a myth, has nothing to do with reality, it is already the 3rd used language...

- Xcode is limited IDE in terms of languages supported, but extremely well suited for iOS and OS X development, much more than Eclipse with SDK for Android

- generally Xcode is faster to work with, easier to maintain

- while testing on Android makes almost 0 effort, it takes much more effort to make apps secure

- I have very exact Simulators for every iOS model. How does that look like on Android SDK?

- integration of simulator and IDE gives a lot of small, but very useful features you don't even count with unless very much needed as easy location spoofing and stuff..

- wanna see how much time is spent on android on screen size fragmentation alone? Imagine I make easily the same app for 10 and 8" iPad, what is my colleague doing when supporting Galaxy Tab 2 and Nexus 7 with same app?

- fragmentation of hardware has caused us to select only some android hardware to support it happened many times problems occurred in the middle of product cycle, like the last one with Nexus's crapy front camera...

I could go on here far further, because this is just a glimpse of reality. The fact you selected one single irrelevant point from the whole story speaks for yourself. Speaks about dogmatic immaturity, like finding some needle in haystack just to oppose. You are young and have time to grow and learn beyond "can". Because you will have to, to survive, since you are not genius as I am not. We wouldn't post here if we were...

Well, when I was 8, I learned Cobal.  My father thought it was fun because I had to keep running to the computer with a punch card.  Lots of fond, extremely vague memories.

When I was nine I learned Pascal.  Not so much of a sentimental memory there.  Just my father teaching me.

When I was ten I learned Basic.  Honestly, still no real memories other than the programming that I remember.  I got my dad a beer a few times, which he called "drinks" back then.

When I was twelve I learned "C".  At this point they all seemed to be the same, just different wordings.  I also learned BW-Basic, and CBasic.

When I was 13 I learned Post Script and Objective C.

Between 14 and 18 dear old dad made me learn C++, Turbo Pascal and Object Pascal.  I didn't really want to be with dad at this time.  Odd when I look back...

Then I went to school, and just about everything since then has been a derivative of one of those languages.

While you speak to me as immature, that is totally possible.  I wasn't looking for a needle in a hey stack.  If you want I'll comb further.  I'm also not learned as I should be.  However when I ask a question I usually get a berating answer, or I get labeled as a troll in response to my question or opinion.

I'll not post to your genius part, that just rude.

My OPINION still stands.  It's incrementally easier to develop for Android than it is for iOS.  I'm amazed I actually have to spell this out on this site.

Also, for your information, I did not go into any computer field after school.

Eclipse does actually support Vector based graphical drawings.  Honestly, Android is actually easier to write for, but graphically it's not going to look the same.  I have no graphic skill.  Vector based is easier than pixel based.  So I could make a bare bones app that will work on Android and will be stretched along different displays.  On iOS it would just look horrible.  Honestly I've never tried to sell an app, but I have quite a few really good ideas!  :)

Just haven't gotten there and I don't have the monetary need.

• Reply 34 of 108

Quote:

Well, when I was 8, I learned Cobal.  My father thought it was fun because I had to keep running to the computer with a punch card.  Lots of fond, extremely vague memories.

When I was nine I learned Pascal.  Not so much of a sentimental memory there.  Just my father teaching me.

When I was ten I learned Basic.  Honestly, still no real memories other than the programming that I remember.  I got my dad a beer a few times, which he called "drinks" back then.

When I was twelve I learned "C".  At this point they all seemed to be the same, just different wordings.  I also learned BW-Basic, and CBasic.

Between 14 and 18 dear old dad made me learn C++, Turbo Pascal and Object Pascal.  I didn't really want to be with dad at this time.  Odd when I look back...

Then I went to school, and just about everything since then has been a derivative of one of those languages.

While you speak to me as immature, that is totally possible.  I wasn't looking for a needle in a hey stack.  If you want I'll comb further.  I'm also not learned as I should be.  However when I ask a question I usually get a berating answer, or I get labeled as a troll in response to my question or opinion.

My OPINION still stands.  It's incrementally easier to develop for Android than it is for iOS.  I'm amazed I actually have to spell this out on this site.

Your language count is load of BS - i.e. proves nothing. There are few programmers who didn't start  programming in primary school. hell, I programmed 3 BASIC dialects then (Google for Sinclair ZX81, I started on it), Zilog Z80 and 6502. Changed to MC68000 and C in high school. I', still not a genius and I wonder what are you actually, if you find my finding you not being a genius as rude? :)  I suppose call people shill's is quite fine in your book? 

Your opinion is fine with me, I am challenging it with MY experience, backed up with arguments. However, your opinion is not backed up with anything. Furthermore, people who would oppose you are called Apple fanatics and idiots....This says it alll.

Improve your communication and behavior and rather exercise some humility and modesty. It is always a winner. Otherwise you my turn out as one Fandroid listing some 30 server base services and wrote that until iOS "can run those servers" he is considering it crap...or even worse, you may end up as shortest unskilled....

• Reply 35 of 108
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Just haven't gotten there and I don't have the monetary need.

Your opinion, not backed up by industry experience, is quite frankly worthless. He explained the difficulty of fragmentation, you're explaining how - in your subjective opinion - were you to ever produce My First App, it might be easier for you.

Quote:

Eclipse does actually support Vector based graphical drawings.  Honestly, Android is actually easier to write for, but graphically it's not going to look the same.  I have no graphic skill.  Vector based is easier than pixel based.  So I could make a bare bones app that will work on Android and will be stretched along different displays.  On iOS it would just look horrible.  Honestly I've never tried to sell an app, but I have quite a few really good ideas!  :)

( and you got that wrong too - modern Objective C uses auto layout and they are probably using borderless buttons to allow easy resizing. But you don't have to worry about display sizes so much on iOS).

And why would you think that on Appleinsider

Quote:

It's incrementally easier to develop for Android than it is for iOS.  I'm amazed I actually have to spell this out on this site.

The general opinion is the opposite here, of couse.

• Reply 36 of 108
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

IDC estimates....yawn.  Is there anyway to validate if IDC's estimates are accurate?

• Reply 37 of 108
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    This delightful development demands that we ask the following:
    How is your "thermonuclear war" going, Timmy?

SK FTW!

Not to sound like my grandparents, but dude, can't you at least root for the home team? Rooting for Samsung is like rooting for corn syrup, it is in everything, it has no flavor, and ultimately, it is bad for you.
  • Reply 38 of 108
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

( and you got that wrong too - modern Objective C uses auto layout and they are probably using borderless buttons to allow easy resizing. But you don't have to worry about display sizes so much on iOS).

Have you used Autolayout much? My experience is that it's of limited use in iOS 6. It's incredibly CPU intensive.

• Reply 39 of 108
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    blackbook wrote: »
    This study confirms in my mind the reasoning behind a lower cost iPhone.

In the US its not needed but around the world Apple is in characteristically losing ground.

My hope at this point is that the low cost iPhone will be something groundbreaking. Not just the rumored iPhone 5 in a plastic shell.

I'm afraid it still won't stem the sales of "good enough" here in Europe.
    poksi wrote: »

<p style="line-height:normal;font-family:Arial;">Nope. Totally wrong. Come to Europe and see what the vast majority of new phones especially with population that frequently buys new ones are. Apple is loosing share on its ground: so-called premium. Considering screen size to be killer feature over here, Apple holds remarkably high market share. Still. Reasons are other features and above all overall quality. Young people being the largest customer don't care so much about either: killer app in Europe is still messaging and every boy and girl will tell you that is easier to type on larger screen, and using Facebook as well.</p>

<p style="line-height:normal;font-family:Arial;min-height:15px;"> </p>

<p style="line-height:normal;font-family:Arial;">I can also tell you how it feels on development: my team of iOS developers has grown from 4 to 5 in 2 years and Android team has grown from 0 to 7 in same period. OK, they have more crap to cope with, that is true. It is also true we have more work as before as well, but incomparably to Android team. Bottom line: Android gets used more an more. People buying those phones soon or a later start to use Google's services and get used to crappy interface. Majority of them will find impossible to go to iOS as it was for me impossible to go to Android. They are lost market, not for phones, let us forget about crappy phones once, but for services, for Apple account on Appstore and iTunes. Apple is talking so much about all this but do so little to make it mainstream success. There is only limited amount of money person will spend for such services. To enhance them you need more earning an those are possible with mass only beyond average dollar to be spend per person….</p>

<p style="line-height:normal;font-family:Arial;">Times when young people just upgraded from iPod to iPhones are all but over. Most of the young people, new smartphone users from this year onward will not even know what the iPod is. They will not choose on legacy, they will also not choose on quality that much. They choose on variety, functionality and on what is hot today. Far East production of everything else has learned them to buy new stuff frequently and that quality is not the most important. </p>

<p style="line-height:normal;font-family:Arial;">Year 2013 will be lost year for Apple, known to profit in crises in saturation, they haven't had plan B to cope with 4" retina legacy, or better SJ legacy that brought problems to TC. If it would be for TC himself, he would have put through plan B in last year already, but he has a mentality to fight on other places. I think Apple brass is just not prepared or know how to be a mainstream company. For us, developers, that is a shame, for geeks this is yet another opportunity to fill their empty lives and stay cool in the shadow…</p>

Great post poksi! More comments below.
    poksi wrote: »

vadania wrote: »
    Well... I'm not sure how to take your info.  You seem like a shill.  The European bit gives you and edge though.  I was in Europe recently, and I honestly noticed very few iPhones.  I did see a lot of iPads!

I agree that the larger screen sizes are nice, and I see them a lot in New England.  I do have a hard time understanding your build quality statements.  Unless they were purchased for them (the younger ones) then if I absolutely had to go with an Android phone it would almost certainly have to be the HTC1.  However I suppose if your parents are giving it to you then you get what you're given.

Then again, a close friend of mine is a bouncer at a very prominent night club here in New England and he said he very rarely notices Apple's phones.  Mostly large screen phones.

I'm kind of 50/50 on the subject.  But I do agree that the youth (strange to say that because I'm only 24) will have the biggest impact while voting with dollars.

@Vadania - no. Poksi is no shill, and I concur with his very well written post of the situation here in Europe.

I don't recognize your name here, but just FYI I'm a so-called Apple Fanboy and proud of it. So stating these facts of the market situation here does not necessarily make me happy.

For many of the reasons that poksi wrote above, such as "texting, Facebook, and WhatsApp" being the primary usage of all mobiles in Europe, buying an iPhone at any "premium" price is not going to work.... regardless of the size screen. It's why I think that an inexpensive iPhone also won't do the trick and is unnecessary. The majority of people in Europe just don't use their mobiles like people in the States do. Including amazingly enough, that they could care less about the weather and many still prefer dedicated maps devices rather than Google Maps.

For the above people that I run across and that ask me, I suggest a middle of the road Android (like who cares... in my eyes they're all crap including the so-called "premiums"... but whatever) with a cheap PAYG no-contract SIM.

By saving them money, I then talk them into an iPad Mini or iPad for the times that they don't want to see and type on their little phone (which would include an iPhone as well).

The mobile market is saturated and unprofitable in the middle and bottom end. Whereas the top end with the current iPhone and any future iPhones will be purchased by those that want and need it's extended features, and for those things like apps to really work smoothly, fast and efficiently. Business users actually. Who BTW are my clients with iPhones. All of my clients have iPhones for just those reasons. Their kids and wife: Droids. it's cheaper and not a business expense write-off.

Apple's biggest future IMHO is pushing the iPad, in both software, features, capabilities and price-points.
  • Reply 40 of 108
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    vadania wrote: »

And I don't think you know what the term or word "shill" means and stands for!

It's obvious that poksi is stating what HE sees the state of the market is in EUROPE! The title of this thread BTW.... so NO!... as it pertains to this thread, we could give a Fancy-Flyin'-F*** what you "think" the fashion trends are in the US (you're wrong actually because it generalizes across industries).

Jackass! :no: