Review: Apple's new 11-inch MacBook Air (Mid-2013)

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinoone View Post

"Apple now offers a 128GB SSD as standard across the MacBook Air line, with 256GB and 512GB options available for the pricier 11-inch model."

It's the pricier 13-inch model, not 11-inch.

No, it's the pricier 11" model.  I just went to the store - there are 2 11" models split by processor grade.  On the pricier, faster 11", you can get a 512GB SSD, just like on the pricier 13" model.

Pretty sweet- I have a 512GB SSD in my old-ish MBP - but it's nowhere near a svelte as the 11" Air.  Sigh.

• Reply 62 of 73
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I hate to say this due to fear of a reprisal but that thing is pretty bitch'n. I think I want it, I'll just add it to my wish list of notebooks I'll never buy, right next to the ChromeBook Pixel and a Panasonic Toughbook. The Pixel by the way is without out a doubt one of the most beautiful laptops I have ever seen.

And therein lies the rub - MBP Retinas are not only beautiful, but also functional.  Remember design isn't just looks - it's how the device works.  Part of that "how it works" is what it can do, and how much effort it takes to make it do that.

• Reply 63 of 73
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

And therein lies the rub - MBP Retinas are not only beautiful, but also functional.  Remember design isn't just looks - it's how the device works.  Part of that "how it works" is what it can do, and how much effort it takes to make it do that.

Yeah but the Chromebook Pixel has a glowy thingy on it and who cares about functionality when it's shiny. Reason number 121 why girls shouldn't comment about tech products.  image

• Reply 64 of 73
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

A recent power outage here has me thinking that a MacBook Air paired with a solar charger is a really good idea, just on the basis of emergency preparedness alone.

• Reply 65 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

A recent power outage here has me thinking that a MacBook Air paired with a solar charger is a really good idea, just on the basis of emergency preparedness alone.

Charge your way to a healthier life;

Just waiting for the Shake Weight model myself.

• Reply 66 of 73
    philboogie wrote: »
    Earlier? Because this article is about the 11". And I would like a review on the 13.3". You know 1440 vs 1366 px, 9 vs 12 hours, SD slot, all that.
    It was real brief but gave a few things more (that seem to not be in mind for you)

ascii wrote: »
    I wonder why the Haswell MBPs didn't come out at the same time? Perhaps they will come out at the same time as the new Mac Pro, and have Thunderbolt 2 also, and work with an Apple 4K display.
    Yes or they don't have enough planned for them, This just won't me to put the year to breif

Minor
    1)new 16 gb iPod touch to replace the 4th gen.
    2)added 128 gb IPad (retina only)
    3)faster speed+lower price in some retina MacBooks
    MajorImproved battery and speed MacBook airs (non retina)

frank777 wrote: »
    I hope Steve jobs had a super hybrid screen with touch sensors, display, solar glass, as with other patents apple has for renewable energy (if you think about it the more you use it the more you charge it so sleep/just picture would be more simular in battery life) in his labatorys.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    adhiradhir Posts: 50member
    Make it retina, take a few hours of battery life if you must, and I'll be first in line.

Well - not really, I'll order it online, but you know what I mean.
  • Reply 68 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhir View Post

Make it retina, take a few hours of battery life if you must, and I'll be first in line.

Well - not really, I'll order it online, but you know what I mean.

Retina is nice but I would take battery over resolution any day, current display is no slouch, I can still accomplish everything that I need the little guy to do.

• Reply 69 of 73
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 112member
    My dilemma has been choosing between waiting for an iPad mini with Retina (whenever) to supplement my MacBook Pro 13" or replace it for commuting with an 11" Air.

May sound like a strange choice, but I travel almost constantly and when I'm not I commute by train in town daily, so question is which would be better as a working tool for email and such without adding too much weight to an already heavy backpack.

With an iPad mine Retina nowhere in sight, I now seriously consider an 11" Air for traveling and leaving my 13" at home. For business travel, the trade-off is (plus) lighter weight and slightly longer battery life (my 3 y/o Pro is down to about 6 hours) and (minus) a narrower display for spreadsheets (one thing I prefer about a full size notebook).

Advantage Air. Thanks for the review, I will think about an 11" 1.70GB/8GB with 256GB or 512GB Flashdrive.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    Absolutely the best decision i have made in purchasing a new computer in a long time. I struggled back and forth between iPad/Macbook for awhile. I always enjoyed the power of OS X which finally pulled me to Macbook Air. This machine is awesome. So many good points and no bad ones. Well built, light weight, powerful, quiet, no heat buildup and just plain works well. And the convenience of not worrying about battery life is the Icing on the Cake.
  • Reply 71 of 73

Macbook Air is undoubtedly a very good notebook

Price and lack of optical drive can affect a large number of users whose decision during the judgment can be negative so that they can decide to choose another manufacturer.

Air is perfect and the best "second computer" that you can wish for.

His task was not to be the main and only computer we can possess.

If you want excellent laptop computer that will be able to carry it with you wherever you go, the Air is an excellent choice for perfectly reasonable size and more pronounced weight that barely exceeds one kilo.

Take a look at this comparison at Apple MacBook Air  13.3 and You will see comparison to the another Apple laptops.Anyone considering purchasing this laptop needs to see the information in this chart.

• Reply 72 of 73
    A bit of the review from the samsung.

quote:
    " in desktop mode the scaling isn't quite right. You'll need to bump up the size of on-screen items to 200% just to be able to read text and graphics, although some aspects - such as third-party programs - are still tiny."

quote:
    "To the untrained eye, a battery result of between four and five hours doesn't seem particular impressive, but bear in mind that we ran the Ultrabook at High Performance without a break, doing some seriously demanding activities, ranging from simple document editing, up to editing video."

Two important things to consider.
  • Reply 73 of 73

got to the samsung page for the computer and try click the "where to buy" button. It doesnt even work lmfao