Apple applauds US Supreme Court decisions on same-sex marriage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 164
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Yeah, I know that Tim Cook is gay, but so what? I don't care what he is.

His personal preferences or personal life should not be a part of Apple's official policies, in my opinion.

Apple under Steve Jobs donated to the "No On 8" campaign so this is nothing new for Apple.

• Reply 22 of 164
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Bravo! Damned few corporations speak out on behalf of civil rights - even though they now all can pretend to be human beings.
  • Reply 23 of 164
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I guess I don't have to agree with apple on everything to buy its products

Well, not exactly! You are a fan, right? So, you have to do it! image

• Reply 24 of 164
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

This is sick! Human rights my ass! Think different? WTF? Why not eat dead human flesh then? They are dead, they don't feel anything, they don't have "rights"! Right? Dead people don't have rights! So, let's eat them! Think different!!!

Are you lost? The playground is that way  >

• Reply 25 of 164
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Quote:

Why is Apple commenting on this?

Apple should stay out of politics.

Is Apple going to comment on gun control also and other issues? And why not?

Yes they should comment on gun control issues. All of the other big business interests have their political opinions out there. So should Apple. The CEO is gay for crying out loud. Of course Apple was going to respond. If you don't like it no one is forcing you to patronize Apple.

• Reply 26 of 164

• Reply 27 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You know, equal rights, discrimination... that kind of stuff. I consider it a human right to be treated equally by the state and not discriminated against for reasons of gender, race, sexual orientation, religion etc. Prejudice and bigotry has no place in a civilized society. Anyway, I always expect people who subscribe to the 'think different' idea to be completely on board. I am always a little surprised when I am reminded it ain't so.

Nope not necessarily. Some people buy Apple because it's the fashionable thing to do.

• Reply 28 of 164
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Yes they should comment on gun control issues. All of the other big business interests have their political opinions out there. So should Apple. The CEO is gay for crying out loud. Of course Apple was going to respond. If you don't like it no one is forcing you to patronize Apple.

I can disagree with something that Apple does and continue to use their products. What else am I going to do? Go Android? Over my dead body.image

And if Apple comments on gun control issues, then Apple should come out in support of gun ownership and not go against the US constitution and the American people.

• Reply 29 of 164

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Really? "Human rights"?  The "right" to pay more taxes?  The "right" to... what exactly?  No where in any part of the US Constitution does it say marriage is a "right" nor should they be involved in what the definition of marriage is in the first place.

No where does it say anyone has a right to get married. However, it does say that people have a right to expect equal protections and treatment under the law.

• Reply 30 of 164

Quote:

I can disagree with something that Apple does and continue to use their products. What else am I going to do? Go Android? Over my dead body.image

And if Apple comments on gun control issues, then Apple should come out in support of gun ownership and not go against the US constitution and the American people.

As the Supreme Court put it. "Corporations are people too".

• Reply 31 of 164
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

My view is that the only real purpose of marriage is to bear and raise children in a stable environment with both sexes.  Therefore I am against anything other than civil unions in other cases.  That said, I think government should not even be involved in marriage, after all a marriage license is always a threesome, three parties:  the couple and government.  Marriage should be a private institution and stay out of government all together!  

It seems just about the same sex marriage pushers just want the bennies, which will just raise the prices and lower the wages for everyone ultimately.  Then anyone who are roommates will "get married", just for the benefits...  uggh.  :(

• Reply 32 of 164
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

It seems just about the same sex marriage pushers just want the bennies, which will just raise the prices and lower the wages for everyone ultimately.  Then anyone who are roommates will "get married", just for the benefits...  uggh.  :(

Are you suggesting that marriages of convenience are a phenomenon unique to same-sex couples?

• Reply 33 of 164
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Why is Apple commenting on this?

Apple should stay out of politics.

Is Apple going to comment on gun control also and other issues? And why not?

According to the same Supreme Court, Apple is a citizen and has all the same rights as you, including free speech.

Although I disagree Apple should be treated as a person, companies like Apple should speak out on social issues. Target donated money to oppose gay marriage. Now I know not to shop at Target.

Set aside the social issue, banning same sex marriage in California negatively effected Apple. Apple is at a competitive disadvantage if its gay employees cannot share their benefits with their spouses because many states allow that. Such people may decide to work in another state instead.
  • Reply 34 of 164
    smurfmansmurfman Posts: 119member

This is a sad day for America. God's goodness and truth continue to be pushed to the curb. It will come back to bite us in the butt - like ignoring the "Danger no smoking or open flames" at a gas station or jumping out of a plane with the belief that gravity does not exist. Foolish and deadly.

• Reply 35 of 164
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    My view is that the only real purpose of marriage is to bear and raise children in a stable environment with both sexes.  Therefore I am against anything other than civil unions in other cases.  That said, I think government should not even be involved in marriage, after all a marriage license is always a threesome, three parties:  the couple and government.  Marriage should be a private institution and stay out of government all together!  

The problem with civil unions is states like California wrote the anti gay marriage legislation to disallow same sex couples to share employee benefits made available to married people. As a university of Michigan employee, same sex couples used to be able to share benefits if they were together for more than two years. An anti gay initiative did away with that.
  • Reply 36 of 164
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    You'd think Cook & Co. would have more important things to worry about. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 37 of 164
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I can disagree with something that Apple does and continue to use their products. What else am I going to do? Go Android? Over my dead body.:lol:

I'd quit Apple but then go where? Google and Microsoft are just as bad if not worse on this issue. :no:
  • Reply 38 of 164

In today's bizarro weird world, Apple should keep quiet!

• Reply 39 of 164
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    ... Dead people don't have rights! So, let's eat them! Think different!!!

I thoroughly disagree with your post but couldn't stop from bursting tears of laughter. Thanks for the latter.
  • Reply 40 of 164
    mercury99mercury99 Posts: 251member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple strongly supports marriage equality and we consider it a civil rights issue," the company said in a statement to AllThingsD. "We applaud the Supreme Court for its decisions today."

What's next? Marriage equality for polygamists? For human-animal couples?