Apple finally opens Online Store in Russia, touts full product catalog

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple early Wednesday opened the doors to its online storefront for the Russian market, offering what appears to be a full lineup of products, including sales of the company's popular iPhone.

Online Store Russia

With the launch of the Apple Online Store, Russian customers will for the first be able to purchase products directly from the Cupertino, Calif., company, as Apple does not yet have a brick-and-mortar outlet in the country.

Besides the obvious localization, the Russian version of Apple's Online Store is full-featured, and includes live chat support and telephone operator assistance. In addition to Apple's current product lineup, the Online Store also sells the usual host of third-party accessories from name brand companies like Twelve South and Bowers & Wilkins, with free shipping on purchases over 4000 Rubles.

Because Apple does not have a physical location in country, returns are facilitated via mail with an appropriate RMA (return merchandise authorization). Alternatively, the store has a list of authorized service providers in case a customer receives a defective product. It appears Apple is running at least the customer service portion of the Online Store out of Moscow, as its returns and refunds call center hours are based on that city's local time.

Apple is making headway in Russia's developing economy. In late 2012, for example, Apple made a major push into the region's digital marketplace when it launched iTunes as part of a 56-country expansion of the world's largest music store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

and Appleinsider exists in Russian ( version http://appleinsider.ru )

Wonder what is the moderator policy ... (nazis symbols, etc ...)

(unfortunately I cannot say, I do not speak Russian)

• Reply 2 of 8
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

and Appleinsider exists in Russian ( version http://appleinsider.ru )

Wonder what is the moderator policy ... (nazis symbols, etc ...)

(unfortunately I cannot say, I do not speak Russian)

It's probably run by organised crime, like the rest of Russia.  

This is likely at least part of the reason for the delay in opening the Russian store also. 

• Reply 3 of 8
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Now the Russians can hack us from the comfort of their sodas.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    znmkrskznmkrsk Posts: 1member
    %u0420%u0443%u0441%u0441%u043A%u0430%u044F %u043C%u0430%u0444%u0438%u044F %u0442%u0443%u0442
  • Reply 5 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    znmkrsk wrote: »
    %u0420%u0443%u0441%u0441%u043A%u0430%u044F %u043C%u0430%u0444%u0438%u044F %u0442%u0443%u0442

Sorry, the website can't handle Cyrillic posted outside the forum. Just edit your post here on the forum proper and it should work.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member

Was this public knowledge for quite a while, or is this a surprise to be happening today?

Seems odd that adding direct sales to such a huge country wouldn't bump the share price a bit...

• Reply 7 of 8
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Now the Russians can hack us from the comfort of their sodas.

gazoobee wrote: »
    It's probably run by organised crime, like the rest of Russia.  

This is likely at least part of the reason for the delay in opening the Russian store also. 

This sort of knee-jerk xenophobia, even in jest, is usually a sign of hemisphere imbalance, i.e., left bias, right suppressed.

Knowing the two posters here, I'd say there's a good possibility. See The Master and His Emissary, p. 85, for starters.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    duplicate