'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey

Comments

• Reply 121 of 268
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Thanks to DVR's I thankfully don't have to suffer from too many commercials. I tend to record the shows I want to watch and skip them. June has a lot of re-runs so I do channel surf a bit more now and have watched more commercials. One thing that always catches my attention is the music. Some commercials have songs that I had never heard but just immediately like and others that I viscerally hate. One example is a song that is now extremely overplayed by a dozen or more companies but many months ago I believe History channel was the very first to use this song to advertise for their upcoming series the Bible and the Vikings. I had never heard this song before then but I immediately loved it and anytime that commercial appeared it captured my attention.It has since become a top 10 hit I believe.  The problem with music is everyone has different taste and some of you may hate this song. So it is tough to find a song with a really broad appeal but Apple did that successfully many times before with their iPod/iTunes ads with unknown songs that later became hits like that one from that Brazilian singer.

The song I was talking about is called radioactive.

• Reply 122 of 268
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

As an Apple shareholder (and there are many here), I am naturally concerned with the amount of navel-gazing coming out of Apple recently. More advertising missteps, releasing a very rough, unpolished looking beta-level iOS 7 for developers... Frankly, these are troubling for a variety of reasons. Primarily it indicates to me that the push for "insanely great" every time is fast becoming "good enough...I'll fix it tomorrow".

That kind of thinking might be OK at Microsoft, but it doesn't work at Apple. People need to start getting fired. I'm seeing less urgency at Apple now.

and why do you think Apple needs to be urgent about anything?

No need to state your credentials, it's in your tag line at the bottom.  And it doesn't show you're any more of a devoted fan than a stock broker looking for a quick turning profit.

• Reply 123 of 268
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="MJ Web" url="/t/158268/designed-by-apple-in-california-ad-ranks-poorly-in-consumer-survey/80#post_2353696"]Was the stock $600 - $700 when Tim Cook took over?[/QUOTE]

Nope! It got that high UNDER TIM COOK.

[QUOTE]...opinion...[/QUOTE]

See, you don't actually have one. Should I add this to the list? Would that make you people shut up about it? Your magical, mystical nonsense does not constitute an opinion.
  • Reply 124 of 268
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Of course it's ranked low, it's boring and overly self-congratulatory. People want ads about new products, not wordy sentimental pats on the back that feel more like an extension of the California tourism commercials. Everyone knows Apple has nothing really to talk about until the new products drop in the fall, so these are basically filler.

In any case, at least they are better than those god awful Apple Genius commercials. Man those things stunk. Personally I miss the fun of the silhouette dancing people and the humor of the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" ads.

• Reply 125 of 268

The commercial sheds light on the BS of the marketing campaign. We (obedient media sheep) are supposedly told to care more where a product is designed than where it was made. Both are equally important.

• Reply 126 of 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well I have nothing against white people of course, but yes "smugness" is one of my least favourite human traits and I would argue most people around the world think similarly.  It really is an unusual situation in the USA where what would be thought of as smug self-promotion is thought of there as some kind of positive trait.  

Also, we actually haven't been hearing about "why Apple can't build phones in America" for the last year.  This is a conversation that has taken place only in America, and only in some places in America.  As has been said by myself and others numerous times, outside of the USA, no one gives the slightest thought to this.  In a typically American way, many American's think that their internal debates and conversations are actually "world" conversations.  They aren't.  

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to put out some obvious truth that many people in other countries around the world can see as clear as day, but apparently Americans are blind to.  A lost cause and a faint hope apparently.  

My sincere apologies to anyone offended by these facts. 

so are you saying that you're not proud of what you do, or where you live?  see my previous posts in this forum for more rebuttals.

• Reply 127 of 268
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Or maybe our junk food infused minds can't comprehend deeper meaning anymore? The days of getting an emotional response that is not envy, anger or hate are coming to an end. If there is no conflict, people don't know how they're supposed to deal with it.

Is it really boring? No it's not. It just doesn't "stimulate" your numbed down sensibilities.

• Reply 128 of 268
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I also think a designed in the U.S.A. might have had more cachet than California which means nothing to people that don't live there and for many that might even have a negative connotation.

I think you have that backwards.  Unfortunately, USA invokes a negative connotation for many in the world (think George Bush and 'Merica, Wall Street greed and corruption, Arrogance, Drones, Bullies, Mansanto, and Imperialism).

• Reply 129 of 268

The ad should have been just:

[Silent fade in closeup of Christopher Walken]

"Hello, little man. Boy I sure

heard a bunch about you. See, I

was a good friend of your Daddy's.

This iPhone. This iPhone was

in your Daddy's pocket when he was

shot down over Samsung. The way your Daddy

looked at it, that iPhone was your

birthright. And he'd be damned if

any slopes were gonna put their

greasy yella hands on his boy's

birthright. Then when he died of

disentary, he gave me the iPhone. I

hid with uncomfortable hunk of

metal up my ass for two years. And now,

little man, I give the iPhone to you."

[Fade to black]

[Voiceover read by Tom Waits] "Designed by Apple in California because we know you love our products so much you'll do anything to protect them..."

[Fade in Apple logo]

[Voiceover] "...Even put them in your ass"

• Reply 130 of 268
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member

The problem is, this is in the category of "image advertising," the sort of campaigning done by unpopular oil, chemical, aerospace, and pharmaceutical companies to make people think they're humanitarians.  There is a risk of cynical reaction to such messaging.  Apple's "Think different" campaign was the same thing but was done in a time of desperate need for relevance.  Nobody thinks Apple is irrelevant now.  So why is Apple doing this?  Because they haven't released a fundamentally new product in years.  This sort of image advertising carries a whiff of fear and neediness and also feels manipulative, and people can sense it.

• Reply 131 of 268
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up and go away, then. Seems pretty simple to understand: you don't give a flying frick about the truth or what this company is actually doing, so what right or reason do you have to be on a website about said company?

What right or reason do you have to come to every single article and derail and hijack it with your endless battles waging a war on trolls. You do realize that you have become the thing you profess to hate.  Quoting them and replying like a troll adds no value to the discussion which I thought was about the new Apple ad campaign. Neither of your comments in this thread mentioned the topic. Why not report the posts you find offensive, ignore them instead of quoting them which only further pollutes the thread, and actually discuss the topic of the article. 

• Reply 132 of 268
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    As an Apple shareholder (and there are many here), I am naturally concerned with the amount of navel-gazing coming out of Apple recently.

I guess you missed all the iPod ads, then. They were no more 'exciting' than this one - and they were promoting a product.

Let me guess, you think a good ad should have 1,000 people dancing outdoors and clicking keyboards onto tablets in sync. /s
    charlituna wrote: »
    500, that's the number of viewers they surveyed.

There are questions about whether the Nielsen pool of 25k is enough to be statistically sound. 500 can't possibly be

Now, the only question is what makes you think that you know anything about statistics.

25,000 is easily statistically sound - as is 500. If the samples are randomly selected, you can use either size as your sample. The margin of error will differ, of course, but that doesn't mean that it's not statistically sound.

mj web wrote: »
    Was the stock $600 - $700 when Tim Cook took over?

No, it wasn't. Now, I have a question for you. Why are Apple-haters so allergic to facts?
    mj web wrote: »
    What do you think accounts for the bottom dropping out of this company in under 1 year?

Because the idiots on Wall Street have no concept of how to value a company. And that's precisely one of the groups that this ad is most likely to affect.
  • Reply 133 of 268
    gwmac wrote: »
    Quoting them and replying like a troll adds no value to the discussion...

Denouncing crap instead of allowing crap to stand as though it's true "adds no value" in gwmacland. :rolleyes:
    Neither of your comments in this thread mentioned the topic.

Nonsense is also the law of the land in gwmacland.
  • Reply 134 of 268
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

The commercial sheds light on the BS of the marketing campaign. We (obedient media sheep) are supposedly told to care more where a product is designed than where it was made. Both are equally important.

"Designed in California" is the signature as the commercial states. This is written on all their products. It's not something you as the "consumer" is supposed to care about, unfortunately as with most people today, your sense of entitlement has blinded your ability to see that. This whole campaign is designed as a call to arms for Apple and its employees. That they can be proud of the products they help make and that they might enrich the lives of those that use them.

No product line is mentioned.

No competitor is mentioned.

This is not a sales advertisement - It is a mission statement.

• Reply 135 of 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

High falutin BS designed (in California) to cover up the fact that Apple is devoid of any new ideas for groundbreaking products that can excite the masses in any meaningful way. The AI apologists here miss the reality that AAPL is now under $400 and shrinking daily due to Tim Cook's incompetent out of touch leadership.  

Uh, no.  It's because Apple isn't bending to Wall Street or any of the bandwagoneers trying to tell when what to do.

I could care less what the stock prices are now.  as long as Apple has money and makes great products, i'm happy.

You people need to seriously wake up and realize you were spoiled over the last 6 years of iOS.  things changed so rapidly because Jobs had to get the greater portion of his roadmap established before he was gone.  If you read the Bio and can read look with some perspective.

• Reply 136 of 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Was the stock $600 - $700 when Tim Cook took over? What do you think accounts for the bottom dropping out of this company in under 1 year? Do you know what the "company is actually doing"? Can you explain the reason for Apple's sudden implosion? Oh, and you think I don't have a right to have an opinion or be on this website? And you call yourself a mod, LOL? I'm the one who loves Apple! Your blindness to the facts makes you an Apple addict, strung out on a high you (and Apple) can't achieve any longer. What will you say when Apple hits $300, $200... I know. You'll say Apple is a great company. The facts don't matter, only my  warped opinion matters. 

that price was over inflated to begin with.  it's the bandwagon going again.  Things were going too fast.  It was a bubble.  Get over it and accept your losses.

• Reply 137 of 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

So why is Apple doing this?  Because they haven't released a fundamentally new product in years.

and the Mac Pro isn't fundamentally new?

The iPad is a tablet computer, no?  those have been around for nearly 20 years.

iPhone wasn't a new idea, just a better one.

All I'm saying is really let's have a recess from all this crap about Apple not doing anything new every time someone wants.

So who has produced anything radically and fundamentally new?

OK, Google glass?  Self-driving cars?  sure those are new but also really freakin' scary too.  Is that what you want?

• Reply 138 of 268
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Yep, "designed in the USA" would've had broader appeal to the rest of the USA.
    But designed in the USA isn't written on the back of Apple products. Unless you think Apple should change that?
  • Reply 139 of 268
    magic_al wrote: »
    So why is Apple doing this?  Because they haven't released a fundamentally new product in years.

Talk about stupid.
  • Reply 140 of 268
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    To me, the "designed in California" isn't so much a dig at other states, but every time I read or hear it, I'm immediately thinking to myself "and built overseas so that someone else gets the job."
    So Apple should only be allows to employee people in the USA even though they sell products all around the world? Americans are more worthy of jobs than Chinese?