'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey

Comments

• Reply 141 of 268
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Am I the only person who appreciates the ad, the message and the "designed by Apple in California" signature?

Have people forgotten that California is the trend setting state according to most youth?
    Have people forgotten that California is the home of technology innovation?

Does anyone believe that China freely release their hold on technology companies allowing them to transact business elsewhere. If companies don't manufacture components in China they don't receive the rare earth elements necessary to manufacture the components. How this seems to elude so many people mystifies me.
  • Reply 142 of 268
    morzee94morzee94 Posts: 13member
    I'm not surprised at all..... Apple is perfectly capable of advertising the brand rather than the products and did so brilliantly in the past with 'think different'. The difference between that and this is that it doesn't resonate with viewers because it comes across as cocky Apple propaganda. The brilliance of think different was that it glorified influential historical heroes who changed the world which inferred that Apple shared their philosophy rather than stating it directly. This new one is just a 'look at us aren't we great' advert that will appeal to apples existing users and no one else
  • Reply 143 of 268
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But designed in the USA isn't written on the back of Apple products. Unless you think Apple should change that?

So do you think the ad should've also included the most common "Assembled in China" part of that inscription?

That would've gone over well.

• Reply 144 of 268
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Am I the only person who appreciates the ad, the message and the "designed by Apple in California" signature?

guess you missed my posts on page 3?

• Reply 145 of 268
    Little wonder. It's a shitty, pompous advert that only serves to stroke Apple's ego.

A company that lives to delight its customers and frustrate its critics = pompous? I hope so. Maybe you thought the whole "Designed in California" business was smug? Well, where else in the world could a company like Apple get its start? Would you rather they design this stuff in Shanghai? Or Bangalore?
  • Reply 146 of 268
    IMO it would have scored much better had they left out 'In California', which pretty much explicitly leaves out every other state.
  • Reply 147 of 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

"Designed in California" is the signature as the commercial states. This is written on all their products. It's not something you as the "consumer" is supposed to care about, unfortunately as with most people today, your sense of entitlement has blinded your ability to see that. This whole campaign is designed as a call to arms for Apple and its employees. That they can be proud of the products they help make and that they might enrich the lives of those that use them.

No product line is mentioned.

No competitor is mentioned.

This is not a sales advertisement - It is a mission statement.

Basically their commercial says that their products are great because they are designed by really over paid 'free' Californians and built by mostly by really poor 'slave-like' Chinese that they don't want to mention. The only different from this and the old slave plantations of the south is that Apple has better advertising.

• Reply 148 of 268
    kdarling wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">So do you think the ad should've also included the most common "</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">Assembled in China" part of that inscription?</span>

That would've gone over well.

Apple's self-identity doesn't depend on that. They aren't hiding it: it is inscribed on the back of the products that have final assembly there. But it is not what makes Apple unique. Not is it the only country of final assembly for everything they make. So... Why did you bring it up?
  • Reply 149 of 268

Basically their commercial says that their products are great because they are designed by really over paid 'free' Californians and built by mostly by really poor 'slave-like' Chinese that they don't want to mention. The only different from this and the old slave plantations of the south is that Apple has better advertising.

Say... where's that Xbox made? Oh wait, it's only "slave-like" when Apple does it...
  • Reply 150 of 268

Have people forgotten that California is the trend setting state according to most youth?
    Have people forgotten that California is the home of technology innovation?

Does anyone believe that China freely release their hold on technology companies allowing them to transact business elsewhere. If companies don't manufacture components in China they don't receive the rare earth elements necessary to manufacture the components. How this seems to elude so many people mystifies me.

I thought it was OK. Comparable to the Think Different commercial. People called that pompous and preening, too, back in the day. Now it is much better received. Other companies (unrelated to tech) are following Apple's lead in "values advertising." People have studied and digested the lessons of the Think Different campaign.
  • Reply 151 of 268
    Well people used to expect revolutionary products from Apple but the limitations of research and development against Apple's yearly time frame of events and not going public about them vs being very transparent about them is what's dropping their cool status... not just this commercial. They should go for the middle man, not for brand name status. Like "THIS IS DESIGNED BY APPLE. BUY IT." is not a good market strategy. I would support a new strategy like "We started in a garage. If we can do amazing things for the world. You can do it. Be a rebel."

That's what Apple's brand used to stand for. Why did they change it... I don't know.
  • Reply 152 of 268
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    ?IMO - not sure why DBAINC is an ad in itself.
    Just a nice comment or line at the end of normal ads of Designed in USA etc. would be great.
  • Reply 153 of 268
    The commercial sheds light on the BS of the marketing campaign. We (obedient media sheep) are supposedly told to care more where a product is designed than where it was made. Both are equally important.

Please. No one telling you what to think. Your outburst just proved my point. This ad campaign is an expression of Apple's values. They can express that in the commercials they pay for. If you want to buy TV airspace to tell us your values, you are free to do that. Then you can deal with the armchair media critics. Oh wait, it's only BS when Apple does it...
  • Reply 154 of 268
    rainrain Posts: 538member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Total andcdote, but twice I've been in loud bars with TVs and the commercial came on and there was something about the quietness of it that made nearly everyone stop talking and watch it.

Obviously these spots aren't going to make someone run out and buy an Apple product, but I think it's a smart move to shore up their brand attributes during this new product lull.

An observant person would notice that when a sound environment changes from loud to quiet, conversations cease momentarily as people who were probably talking loud stop to reassess their volume. These collective moments of silence happen all the time, everywhere, and they have nothing to do with people being in complete awe of shitty Apple commercials.

• Reply 155 of 268
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Appalling. I would encourage you to read some accounts of the slave trade.

Applicants line up for Foxconn jobs. They're not taken in chains from the countryside.

On behalf of Marshall McLuhan, I will ask you again to consider that uneven paths of development in the world are a result of uneven adoption of communications technologies. The West industrialized before the East because of the phonetic alphabet and the invention of the portable printed book.

Your bleeding-heart remonstrances are wasted on tectonic shifts in global economic co-evolution.
  • Reply 156 of 268
    I disagree with all the negativity about the current ad campaign. It is easy in hind sight to rave about "The Crazy Ones" ad but what you must remember is it was just a preamble to the Think Different campaign. When "The Crazy Ones" first aired people were very negative about it. What that is supposed to sell Macs? Many people said it sucked!!!

The current "Designed by Apple in California" might be very much the same thing. I expect this is the first round of a broader PRODUCT focused "Signature" campaign that will accompany new product rollouts in the fall. I think it is a very clever campaign draws in the legend of Steve Jobs' idea of the designers and engineers signing their work on the original Macintosh and subsequent products without mentioning Jobs himself (ie drawing attention to his absence) but reflects that Apple is still Apple.

I expect harder hitting "Signature" ads to launch the new iPhone and feature iOS 7. I think it is simply too early to judge a campaign by this initial start. "The Crazy Ones" scored poorly out of the gate but now it is legend. Time will tell.

Read more: http://www.macnn.com/articles/13/06/27/continues.trend.started.with.recent.iphone.ads/#ixzz2XRlG0HD6
    Read more at http://www.macnn.com/articles/13/06/27/continues.trend.started.with.recent.iphone.ads/#t1jVl76sIABO7DhV.99
  • Reply 157 of 268

Anyone asked who this marketing firm is and who is its client?

It just signed up SameSung...surprise surprise...Bloomturd is a skank.

• Reply 158 of 268
    With the tax avoidance headlines in the UK we end up with 'Designed in California in order to avoid taxes everywhere'
  • Reply 159 of 268
    apophisapophis Posts: 36member
    Bogus Public Relations (propaganda)
    Samsung is a big client of Ace Metrix.
    (from their own press release)
    http://www.acemetrix.com/news/press-releases/ace-metrix-arms-samsung-with-next-generation-creative-effectiveness-platform/
  • Reply 160 of 268
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Anyone asked who this marketing firm is and who is its client?

It just signed up SameSung...surprise surprise...Bloomturd is a skank.

That explains this survey. Voted up.

Ace Metrix has also previously declared Samsung as having the most effective ads.