'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey

Comments

• Reply 161 of 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Appalling. I would encourage you to read some accounts of the slave trade.

Applicants line up for Foxconn jobs. They're not taken in chains from the countryside.

On behalf of Marshall McLuhan, I will ask you again to consider that uneven paths of development in the world are a result of uneven adoption of communications technologies. The West industrialized before the East because of the phonetic alphabet and the invention of the portable printed book.

Your bleeding-heart remonstrances are wasted on tectonic shifts in global economic co-evolution.

So the fact that very poor people from rural areas China stand in line to work in factories in urban China mean that they have true economic and political freedom? It's like poor southern slaves standing in line at the neighboring plantation because that plantation will beat them slightly less or give them a little extra food at the end of the day. The poor chinese worker cant freely leave china and regardless where they work they are kept poor and powerless under a corrupt government/corporate infrastructure. The fact is that their working conditions are indeed slave-like and regardless of where these poor people work in china they still are far from being free. Where and how a product is made (and by who) is probably more important than where it was designed.

When it comes to Mcluhan, his focus that it was the 'method' in which people communicate and entertain themselves was more influential on the masses in general than the actual 'content' of the communication or entertainment. So that the actual act of reading (long form books) changes a person's neurology more than the actual content on the printed page. A 'reading brain' is a more contemplative one and more capable of complex thoughts which eventually led to the rise of Western Culture and modern-day science. On the other hand, Mcluhan clearly pointed out that TV and mass-media were going to re-tribalize human society and make them less individualistic, less intelligent and more prone to group-think.

• Reply 162 of 268
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I disagree with all the negativity about the current ad campaign. It is easy in hind sight to rave about "The Crazy Ones" ad but what you must remember is it was just a preamble to the Think Different campaign. When "The Crazy Ones" first aired people were very negative about it. What that is supposed to sell Macs? Many people said it sucked!!!

The current "Designed by Apple in California" might be very much the same thing. I expect this is the first round of a broader PRODUCT focused "Signature" campaign that will accompany new product rollouts in the fall. I think it is a very clever campaign draws in the legend of Steve Jobs' idea of the designers and engineers signing their work on the original Macintosh and subsequent products without mentioning Jobs himself (ie drawing attention to his absence) but reflects that Apple is still Apple.

I expect harder hitting "Signature" ads to launch the new iPhone and feature iOS 7. I think it is simply too early to judge a campaign by this initial start. "The Crazy Ones" scored poorly out of the gate but now it is legend. Time will tell.

Read more: http://www.macnn.com/articles/13/06/27/continues.trend.started.with.recent.iphone.ads/#ixzz2XRlG0HD6
    Read more at http://www.macnn.com/articles/13/06/27/continues.trend.started.with.recent.iphone.ads/#t1jVl76sIABO7DhV.99
    Agree with everything you've said here. Of course these days it's so fashionable to diss apple (even amongst fans) that pretty much everything they do gets ripped to shreds with the obligatory "Steve wouldn't have" comment attached to it.
  • Reply 163 of 268
    This article does not suit Apple Insider. It certainly is fashionable for wannabe tech pundits and stock analysts to promote their supposed expertise by jumping on the latest bandwagon. But we have come to expect more from Apple Insider. The credibility of the source should have been measured before reported. Not all of the latest criticism proves meaningful, even if thoughtful people do disagree with Apple on some points. The article title should have read, "Second rate ad agency promotes business with sensationalistic headlines." Subtitled, "How to promote your brand by slamming Apple's "Signature".

The message from Apple is simultaneously higher (more inspirational) and deeper (more subliminal) than most other commercials. The message is not really intended for people who take online surveys to give their immediate opinions about commercials they watched in the last 24 hours. That kind of information may be relevant to some people but not here. In fact, Apple does not have to sell a specific product or even promote their name and logo. It has effectively done these things elsewhere. But seriously, who did not know this was an Apple commercial? It follows in the old tradition of their famous 1984 ad and "Here's to the Crazy Ones". Many mediocre voices are rushing to shout that Apple is no longer "relevant", "new" or "fresh". In healthy contrast, Apple is whispering an unhurried message. And they are reminding loyal customers that the fundamentals of their vision have not changed. Apple is clearly stating their passion and inspiration to the world. People who have this same passion or who want to become so, associate themselves with these ideals. Apple is saying that they have the same passion as many of us. A lot of us have watched and will watch the commercial again and again. Tomorrow, most of us will not even remember the name of this consulting firm.
  • Reply 164 of 268
    kdarling wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">So do you think the ad should've also included the most common "</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">Assembled in China" part of that inscription?</span>

That would've gone over well.
    People care more about who and where something was conceived than where it was assembled. I think most people are smart enough to figure out why most electronic devices are manufactured/assembled in China. And a very small minority take issue with it.
  • Reply 165 of 268

Basically their commercial says that their products are great because they are designed by really over paid 'free' Californians and built by mostly by really poor 'slave-like' Chinese that they don't want to mention. The only different from this and the old slave plantations of the south is that Apple has better advertising.
    Every time I read shit like this it reaffirms why I'm not a bleeding heart liberal (thank God).
  • Reply 166 of 268
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

I agree with the stupid survey, Apple is displaying an awful lot of angst about its own importance with this icky new ad. It has the same effect on the stomach as too much sugar. The buoyant, Pixar-like video that opened WWDC this year was far more interesting.

There is a need from brand advertising, but should not be at the expense of product advertising. I very much like the WWDC into add as it was very engaging while getting the brand across. 

• Reply 167 of 268
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

and the Mac Pro isn't fundamentally new?

The iPad is a tablet computer, no?  those have been around for nearly 20 years.

iPhone wasn't a new idea, just a better one.

All I'm saying is really let's have a recess from all this crap about Apple not doing anything new every time someone wants.

So who has produced anything radically and fundamentally new?

OK, Google glass?  Self-driving cars?  sure those are new but also really freakin' scary too.  Is that what you want?

The Mac Pro isn't released, and by Apple hasn't "released a fundamentally new product in years," I mean they haven't added a successful new product category since 2010 (iPad) nor fundamentally re-introduced any of their best-selling existing lines. The Mac Pro is high margin but historically tiny, tiny market share and how well the new one will be accepted is anyone's guess, as we don't even know the price.

• Reply 168 of 268

This article does not suit Apple Insider.  It certainly is fashionable for wannabe tech pundits and stock analysts to promote their supposed expertise by jumping on the latest bandwagon.  But we have come to expect more from Apple Insider.  The credibility of the source should have been measured before reported.  Not all of the latest criticism proves meaningful, even if thoughtful people do disagree with Apple on some points.  The article title should have read, "Second rate ad agency promotes business with sensationalistic headlines." Subtitled, "How to promote your brand by slamming Apple's "Signature".

The message from Apple is simultaneously higher (more inspirational) and deeper (more subliminal) than most other commercials.  The message is not really intended for people who take online surveys to give their immediate opinions about commercials they watched in the last 24 hours.  That kind of information may be relevant to some people but not here.  In fact, Apple does not have to sell a specific product or even promote their name and logo.  It has effectively done these things elsewhere.  But seriously, who did not know this was an Apple commercial?  It follows in the old tradition of their famous 1984 ad and "Here's to the Crazy Ones".  Many mediocre voices are rushing to shout that Apple is no longer "relevant", "new" or "fresh".  In healthy contrast, Apple is whispering an unhurried message.  And they are reminding loyal customers that the fundamentals of their vision have not changed.  Apple is clearly stating their passion and inspiration to the world.  People who have this same passion or who want to become so, associate themselves with these ideals.  Apple is saying that they have the same passion as many of us.  A lot of us have watched and will watch the commercial again and again.  Tomorrow, most of us will not even remember the name of this consulting firm.

• Reply 169 of 268
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Anyone asked who this marketing firm is and who is its client?

It just signed up SameSung...surprise surprise...Bloomturd is a skank.

That's all part of Sammy's ad budget.
    With the tax avoidance headlines in the UK we end up with 'Designed in California in order to avoid taxes everywhere'

$6 billion in US fed taxes. It's not Apple's fault the EU is messed up.
  • Reply 170 of 268
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    magic_al wrote: »
    The Mac Pro isn't released, and by Apple hasn't "released a fundamentally new product in years," I mean they haven't added a successful new product category since 2010 (iPad) nor fundamentally re-introduced any of their best-selling existing lines. The Mac Pro is high margin but historically tiny, tiny market share and how well the new one will be accepted is anyone's guess, as we don't even know the price.

Not this sh1t again. The comment not the commenter. I remember when Jobs released a game changer every day of the week and twice in Sundays.
  • Reply 171 of 268
    I really like the "Designed by Apple in California" tagline, however, I don't think the tone or focus of the visuals works. It highlights the perception that people are glued to their device like an automaton, and they are ignoring you, the viewer. They are in their own world, cut off from yours (but really, we are not!). It highlights absorption and isolation of the device user, rather than demonstrating the social connections that are re-inforced by the use of device. The visuals should show an engagement of the TV viewer, such as a person inviting the viewer to join them use the device. I agree with ifij775 - they should also show "new , mind-blowing technology."

Filmmakers have learned not to show people staring at screens (after many flops - see Johnny Mnemonic, etc.) -- it's not engaging because the viewer cannot really intuit what the screen-watcher is thinking, or feeling, unless the screen watcher is being extremely expressive.

The music sounds melancholy, and it reinforces the sadness that people are seeming like robots. Apple should have triumphant music!
  • Reply 172 of 268
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    magic_al wrote: »

Ridiculous. So Apple's a failure unless they revolutionize a new market every year?

Apple has revolutionized mobile phones, tablet computers, media players, portable gaming devices, all-in-one computers, and the person computer itself. How many other companies have revolutionized that many markets in such a short time frame?
  • Reply 173 of 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Every time I read shit like this it reaffirms why I'm not a bleeding heart liberal (thank God).

You might just have some other sort of problem because I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, I'm just a Libertarian who believes that our choices have consequences, and the things we make (or choose not to make) deeply effects us both individually and collectively.

I buy Apple products because I believe they are less-bad than other brands, but I have hope that Apple can and will do better and shed light in dark areas of the electronic industries supply chain.

• Reply 174 of 268
    It may have been a little more effective if it wasn't only "Desinged" in CA but also assemled in America. I think they were trying to be more American after all of the Foxconn and tax crap going on right now.
  • Reply 175 of 268
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    antkm1 wrote: »
    and why do you think Apple needs to be urgent about anything?
    No need to state your credentials, it's in your tag line at the bottom.  And it doesn't show you're any more of a devoted fan than a stock broker looking for a quick turning profit.

One part of driving a massive company forward is instilling in your employees a sense of momentum and purpose (beyond coming into work to collect a check). Employees can be motivated by fear, a need for recognition, a desire to be the best, a drive to destroy or demoralize the competition and numerous other factors.

Are Apple employees and managers more or less driven now, versus when the volatile Steve Jobs was metaphorically 'lighting firecrackers and dropping them into cubicles'?
  • Reply 176 of 268
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member
    California is the problem, most states see California as a bunch of liberal hippies. Change the tagline to "Designed in America" which is more inclusive anyway and you've got a winner.
  • Reply 177 of 268
    I disagree with all the negativity about the current ad campaign. It is easy in hind sight to rave about "The Crazy Ones" ad but what you must remember is it was just a preamble to the Think Different campaign. When "The Crazy Ones" first aired people were very negative about it. What that is supposed to sell Macs? Many people said it sucked!!!

The current "Designed by Apple in California" might be very much the same thing. I expect this is the first round of a broader PRODUCT focused "Signature" campaign that will accompany new product rollouts in the fall. I think it is a very clever campaign draws in the legend of Steve Jobs' idea of the designers and engineers signing their work on the original Macintosh and subsequent products without mentioning Jobs himself (ie drawing attention to his absence) but reflects that Apple is still Apple.

I expect harder hitting "Signature" ads to launch the new iPhone and feature iOS 7. I think it is simply too early to judge a campaign by this initial start. "The Crazy Ones" scored poorly out of the gate but now it is legend. Time will tell.

Read more: http://www.macnn.com/articles/13/06/27/continues.trend.started.with.recent.iphone.ads/#ixzz2XRlG0HD6
    Read more at http://www.macnn.com/articles/13/06/27/continues.trend.started.with.recent.iphone.ads/#t1jVl76sIABO7DhV.99

Perhaps time will tell, but previous campaigns grabbed and involved the viewer.

The process of design and reference to a place (California) is rather impersonal compared to "Think different". At least "different" suggests uniqueness. The latest slogan is entirely inward looking.
  • Reply 178 of 268
    bobborries wrote: »
    California is the problem, most states see California as a bunch of liberal hippies. Change the tagline to "Made in America" which is more inclusive anyway and you've got a winner.

Still not emotionally or intellectually challenging or involving. Perhaps this campaign would be more effective overseas. In America it doesn't have quite the same effect.
  • Reply 179 of 268

As other posters have noticed Apple's ad campaigns seem increasingly targeted at parents, and -- yikes -- grandparents.

I think Seoul is becoming the new "California".

Compare the dynamic, youthfulness joy in Samsung's ads:

... with the sense of "old" and melancholy in Apple's ad:

• Reply 180 of 268
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

California is the problem, most states see California as a bunch of liberal hippies. Change the tagline to "Designed in America" which is more inclusive anyway and you've got a winner.

I hate to break it to you but Apple was founded by a bunch of Californian liberal hippies. The rest of America had pretty much nothing to do with it, still doesn't, aside from Austin, TX.