Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn announces iPhone-compatible smart watch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hon Hai Precision, better known as Foxconn, revealed on Wednesday that it will be releasing a smart watch that can interface with Apple's iPhone.

Foxconn Watch
Source: Want China Times

Foxconn's announcement, as reported by Want China Times, comes amidst rumors that Google, Samsung and Apple are actively preparing to launch their own wrist-based smart device sometime in the near future.

The product has yet to be named, but Foxconn outlined some of its features at a shareholders meeting. The device can measure a user's respiration and hearbeat, as well as check phone calls and Facebook posts, all over a wireless interface. While not specified, the unit most likely sends data over Bluetooth 4.0, a low-energy protocol used in many small form factor peripherals.

"With such a device, you can keep your phone in your pocket and simply check all kinds of messages on your watch," Hon Hai chairman Terry Gou said.

According to Gou, the company is working with its communications and medical research groups to add additional features like a fingerprint reader. The firm is looking to position the smart watch as a new driver of income as it slowly moves into marketing its own products.

Apple is widely rumored to be mulling an entry into the wearable computing sector with its own watch-like device, with some even speculating that the product will focus on biometrics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Right. Because we know how good their software is right? /s
  • Reply 2 of 38
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Apple should be extremely clear with them: if you get into the consumer space and compete with us, you risk losing a substantial part or all of our business

In the meantime, Apple needs to be ramping up alternative suppliers. Like Samsung, it cannot be beholden to a single supplier or partner
  • Reply 3 of 38
    jax44jax44 Posts: 79member
    Either this is with Apple's "permission ", or another supplier is fixing to screw them.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    red oak wrote: »
    Apple should be extremely clear with them: if you get into the consumer space and compete with us, you risk losing a substantial part or all of our business

In the meantime, Apple needs to be ramping up alternative suppliers. Like Samsung, it cannot be beholden to a single supplier or partner

Last I checked Apple doesn't make a watch nor has announced one. If Foxconn is first to market then Apple would be competing with them not vice versa.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member
    Another stab in the back for Apple. Likely Foxconn had some insight information about the iWatch and now they don't want to wait for Apple's order anymore.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jax44 View Post

Either this is with Apple's "permission ", or another supplier is fixing to screw them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Another stab in the back for Apple. Likely Foxconn had some insight information about the iWatch and now they don't want to wait for Apple's order anymore.

Uh... Apple has no watch, "smart" or otherwise.

• Reply 7 of 38
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Let's hope Foxconn doesn't become the new Samsung.
  • Reply 8 of 38

Companies now a days shooting all over the place to front run Apple. They used to copy their products but now they are even after their future product ideas lol

• Reply 9 of 38
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Companies now a days shooting all over the place to front run Apple. They used to copy their products but now they are even after their future product ideas lol

How many of these so called 'ideas' have come to fruition? Last year it was Samsung copying Apple's so called iTV with their Smart TVs.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

When did Apple invent the smart watch?  I thought that was Sony's thing.

• Reply 11 of 38
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

If Apple is working on a phone in their normal secret way, there is one company that might have info on what they are doing.  The company that will build them.  

• Reply 12 of 38
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    droidftw wrote: »

Apple also didn't invent the smartphone or tablet, they just elevated it to a whole new level.

Also, with your username and contrarian posting style... What purpose do you have being on an Apple centric site?
  • Reply 13 of 38
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Apple also didn't invent the smartphone or tablet, they just elevated it to a whole new level.

Also, with your username and contrarian posting style... What purpose do you have being on an Apple centric site?

He is right, SonyEricsson went there over six years ago, things have changed a lot since then, the iPhone didn't even exist.

• Reply 14 of 38
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    hill60 wrote: »
    He is right, SonyEricsson went there over six years ago, things have changed a lot since then, the iPhone didn't even exist.

I'm not disputing that Sony "lead the way" with the smart watch. But at this point, smart watches are about as big as tablets were pre-iPad.
  • Reply 15 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

What purpose do you have being on an Apple centric site?

I'm a mobile tech fan and I'm here to read about all things mobile device related. 

What's your purpose for being at this site?  :P

• Reply 16 of 38
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

I'm a mobile tech fan(...)

C'mon, let's be truthful, now. With that user name, you're a biased mobile tech fan, right?

• Reply 17 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

C'mon, let's be truthful, now. With that user name, you're a biased mobile tech fan, right?

Aren't we all biased mobile tech fans?  It's true that I'm an Android user if that's what you're getting at.

I think both are fine OS's.  I can appreciate the ecosystem that Apple has created with iOS and I can appreciate the Android ecosystem.  I don't think one is inherently better than the other.  Both have their pros and cons.  Android fits me better just like iOS fits better for other people.

In the end I'm here to learn.  I also read Android related websites and you can't get the full story that way.  I don't know if you've noticed or not, but people really get crazy with the iOS vs. Android thing!  image

• Reply 18 of 38
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Aren't we all biased mobile tech fans?  It's true that I'm an Android user if that's what you're getting at.

I think both are fine OS's.  I can appreciate the ecosystem that Apple has created with iOS and I can appreciate the Android ecosystem.  I don't think one is inherently better than the other.  Both have their pros and cons.  Android fits me better just like iOS fits better for other people.

Hey dude, here's my Nexus 4 with key lime pie:-

• Reply 19 of 38
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Exactly....they(competitors) are rushing to market with a product Apple hasn't announced they are going to make.....

• Reply 20 of 38
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hey dude, here's my Nexus 4 with key lime pie:-

Nice......I am going to take a pic like that with my Galaxy S4 tomorrow at breakfast at IHOP and post it the Android forums i follow....