'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey

Comments

• Reply 201 of 268
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    freediverx wrote: »
    Hey Oliver, how about doing a little research before spreading misinformation such as this? The survey was conducted by an agency who works for Samsung. What do they pay you for?

Link?
  • Reply 202 of 268
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    This ad sucks, pure and simple. The main reason is that it sounds arrogant. "Every idea we touch enhances each life it touches". Really? I guess you've never sat at a Genius Bar and listened to people whose lives aren't enhanced because of shoddy quality control or because they decided to make devices that are as breakable as Baccarat Crystal.

Apple used to be great. Now, they are merely good but they still are trying to convince us%u2014or themselves%u2014that they are still great. Lame ads are not going to do it, unfortunately, only great products will. It's time to get back to that.
  • Reply 203 of 268
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

So the fact that very poor people from rural areas China stand in line to work in factories in urban China mean that they have true economic and political freedom? It's like poor southern slaves standing in line at the neighboring plantation because that plantation will beat them slightly less or give them a little extra food at the end of the day. The poor chinese worker cant freely leave china and regardless where they work they are kept poor and powerless under a corrupt government/corporate infrastructure. The fact is that their working conditions are indeed slave-like and regardless of where these poor people work in china they still are far from being free. Where and how a product is made (and by who) is probably more important than where it was designed.

So are all workers in China slaves then? Should the West immediately ban all Chinese products and repatriate industry?
  • Reply 204 of 268
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    This same company also called Microsoft's Surface ads with dancing people the "most effective" tablet ads, so I don't consider their research valid.
  • Reply 206 of 268

John Gruber on his Daring Fireball blog posted about a Business Week article that mentioned this Ace Metrix company. His comment was "Guess who their latest client is?" Yes Ace is bought and paid for my Samsung. Nothing to see here, move along. Their analysis is skewed and suspect.

• Reply 207 of 268
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    He may not run it, but he is the #1 creative force at the company.  Jobs set it up so that Jonny answers to no one.  It's natural that his creative spirit is now informing everything Apple does.  Jonny is amazing, but with both Steve gone and Forstall (who was his sparring partner) out of the picture.  It's all Yin and no Yang.
    All the rumors after Forstall was let go point to him and Ive not really working together at all. There was one rumor that claimed Ive and Mansfield would only meet with Forstall if Cook was present. Another rumor claimed Forstall never attended any of the hardware design meetings and Ive wasn't involved in any of the software meetings. So I don't really see the ying and yang. My guess is Forstall didn't have any input on hardware design and Ive didn't have much if any input on software design.

Seems pretty clear Jobs kept hardware and software separate and in some cases set things up based on product (i.e having Tony Fadell in charge of the iPod division and not all hardware and Forstall in charge of iOS, not all software). The way Cook has set things up seems to be more functionally based: someone owning hardware, software design and services. Does Ive have too much power at Apple? Maybe but I suspect if that's the way people inside Apple felt we'd be hearing about it. Stuff like that usually gets leaked.
  • Reply 208 of 268
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Apparently you must not be in manufacturing. Watch this video to give yourself an education how extreme low wages and slavery go hand and hand @

You first. Get yourself an education on cultures around the world.

Those jobs are among the best jobs in China. Every time there's an opening, people line up around the block wanting those jobs - and it's an enormous step up for most of the people working in the factory. It's a choice of backbreaking farm labor or decent, well paid factory labor. The fact that so many people apply for the jobs tells you how the balance ends up.

Applying our standards to China makes no more sense than insisting that the US comply with Netherlands vacation laws or Canada's maternity leave laws, both of which make our standards look pathetic - or make us look like 'slaves' to use your terminology.
  • Reply 209 of 268
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    He may not run it, but he is the #1 creative force at the company.  Jobs set it up so that Jonny answers to no one.  It's natural that his creative spirit is now informing everything Apple does.  Jonny is amazing, but with both Steve gone and Forstall (who was his sparring partner) out of the picture.  It's all Yin and no Yang.

Nah. For one thing, Jony Ive's got a built-in Yang channel he listens to that keeps his Yin side honest: his machinist backgound. A good design is worthless if it can't be made at industrial scale. All of Apple's signature devices lately explore the bleeding edge of manufacturability as much as they do design.

I also imagine Ive and Mansfield have the kind of back and forth can-we-do-this? relationship you're referring to. Mansfield is Yang personified. I absolutely can't imagine that happening with Ive and Forstall. The name of that one would be "counterproductive." Hats off to Tim Cook for seeing this too, if that's indeed what went down.
  • Reply 210 of 268
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Link?

Right from their own page:

Quote:

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA.—May 21, 2012—Ace Metrix™, the new standard in television analytics, today announced Samsung has joined its roster of advertising clients, subscribing to the Ace Metrix LIVE™ platform.  The Company is pleased to have been chosen by Samsung as their method for attaining real-time creative effectiveness measures.  Samsung will leverage the immediate delivery of Ace Scores and the 12,000+ associated data points for every ad in the highly competitive mobile devices category. Samsung will also take advantage of Ace Metrix PRE™ to test ads prior to release, affording them the ability to adjust creative or media placement as a result of detailed demographic, ethnographic, and psychographic data. - See more at: http://www.acemetrix.com/news/press-releases/ace-metrix-arms-samsung-with-next-generation-creative-effectiveness-platform/#sthash.SzM6jvih.dpuf

• Reply 211 of 268
    asdasd wrote: »
    So are all workers in China slaves then? Should the West immediately ban all Chinese products and repatriate industry?

watch the video (if you have a soul). [VIDEO]
  • Reply 212 of 268
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmsquires View Post

John Gruber on his Daring Fireball blog posted about a Business Week article that mentioned this Ace Metrix company. His comment was "Guess who their latest client is?" Yes Ace is bought and paid for my Samsung. Nothing to see here, move along. Their analysis is skewed and suspect.

Denial won't help image. Doesn't change facts, it is a boring ad, smug, self indulgent, pretentious, and just overly sentimental, the whole ad is in slow motion, for gods sake ... ok except for one small part where that child is using an ipad in the dark, but even that is slowed down but not as obvious.

The WWDC version with the dots is good though, that one is like them commenting about their competition and how or why they do things differently, its even inspiring. Remix that wrong and you get this "we know better" message.

(comment edited)

• Reply 213 of 268
    flaneur wrote: »
    Nah. For one thing, Jony Ive's got a built-in Yang channel he listens to that keeps his Yin side honest: his machinist backgound. A good design is worthless if it can't be made at industrial scale. All of Apple's signature devices lately explore the bleeding edge of manufacturability as much as they do design.

I also imagine Ive and Mansfield have the kind of back and forth can-we-do-this? relationship you're referring to. Mansfield is Yang personified. I absolutely can't imagine that happening with Ive and Forstall. The name of that one would be "counterproductive." Hats off to Tim Cook for seeing this too, if that's indeed what went down.
    Hope you're right. Best work is always done when there is a struggle and a deadline.
  • Reply 214 of 268
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

This ad sucks, pure and simple. The main reason is that it sounds arrogant. "Every idea we touch enhances each life it touches". Really? I guess you've never sat at a Genius Bar and listened to people whose lives aren't enhanced because of shoddy quality control or because they decided to make devices that are as breakable as Baccarat Crystal.

Apple used to be great. Now, they are merely good but they still are trying to convince us%u2014or themselves%u2014that they are still great. Lame ads are not going to do it, unfortunately, only great products will. It's time to get back to that.

Your post looks great on a 15" retina display, looks good next to my iPhone 5 which is nine months old, has been dropped a few times and still looks new.

Enhancement factor = definite.

If you break an S4 screen it costs almost as much as an 8GB iPhone 4 to get fixed, coincidentally it has almost as much usable memory as said 16GB S4.

Lame posts from Samsung shills will not convince me otherwise.

• Reply 215 of 268
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    I like the ad, obvious opus why it failed but still it shows that they just won't your $$ (hmm. Samsung) but want your smile with it, and for the few that read it it is good.
  • Reply 216 of 268
    hill60 wrote: »
    Your post looks great on a 15" retina display, looks good next to my iPhone 5 which is nine months old, has been dropped a few times and still looks new.

Enhancement factor = definite.

If you break an S4 screen it costs almost as much as an 8GB iPhone 4, to get fixed coincidentally it has almost as much usable memory as said 16GB S4.

Lame posts from Samsung shills will not convince me otherwise.
    The truth is that Apple products are great and the advertising has lost it's way. Maybe time to let a new agency give it a go or for Lee Clow to step up and re-think the TBWA work. But then again, maybe Apple is not listening to TBWA and sending things creatively down this miserable road?
  • Reply 217 of 268
    Interesting timing given that Samsung became one of Ace Metrix's clients only a month ago: http://www.acemetrix.com/news/press-releases/ace-metrix-arms-samsung-with-next-generation-creative-effectiveness-platform/

[Edit: I didn't see the previous posts about this, and I can't delete this post, so I guess I'll go ahead and keep it here.]
  • Reply 218 of 268
    Um, I really liked the commercial and actually got goosebumps and cried a few times while watching it. I think it was to the Apple standard and everything they said was true, with out having to compare their product to another or make jokes about the competition. I fully stand behind Apple and THANK GOD for sites like this to keep me informed. This is my newspaper lol.
  • Reply 219 of 268
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herpderp View Post

Interesting timing given that Samsung became one of Ace Metrix's clients only a month ago: 

If it was just them saying Apple's ads were not the best these days, that'd be one thing.

However, there has been a sequence of advertising observers over the past year who have given top marks to Samsung ads and lower marks to Apple's ad agency attempts.  Which is understandable, considering flops like the "Genius" series of ads.

A few months back, even the creator of the "iMac" name and the "Think Different" ad talked about the situation:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/02/26/think-different-ad-creator-believes-latest-samsung-ads-are-getting-the-best-of-apple

As for the "Designed in California" ad, AdWeek gave it bad marks as well.

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-apple-150192

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  It's not a conspiracy when the ad isn't that great and people say so.  Yet at the same time, it's also okay that some fans liked it.

• Reply 220 of 268
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member
    halhiker wrote: »

You clearly don't get it... Great products are the only thing that Apple produces, name one that isn't.