Japan's largest carrier sees no urgency to get Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

What exactly is the allure of having a bigger screen?  I can do everything just fine on my 4s.  When I want a bigger screen (say for watching a video), I throw it up on the Apple TV or go to my iPad.  I really don't understand this thinking of the NEED to have a bigger screen on the phone.  It just sounds so cumbersome and annoying.

Then you don't need a bigger screen, that's all.  And that's okay, although comparing them to iPads is just silly.  Even a 4.8" Samsung phone is barely larger than an iPhone, due to far less bezel.

Those of us who do like larger screens, appreciate the extra size while still a very portable handheld.  (The slimness and curvature make Samsung phones easy to slip in and out of pockets.)

I like a larger screen for viewing photos/videos with family or friends, surfing the web, using any app, taking pictures, and for watching TV shows while waiting somewhere.   It's easier on my eyes, and it's easier to share.

• Reply 82 of 104
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    What exactly is the allure of having a bigger screen?  I can do everything just fine on my 4s.  When I want a bigger screen (say for watching a video), I throw it up on the Apple TV or go to my iPad.  I really don't understand this thinking of the NEED to have a bigger screen on the phone.  It just sounds so cumbersome and annoying.

The same old arguments. Who knows. People like it. It's a market segment.
  • Reply 83 of 104
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I used to live in Japan back when NTT DoCoMo had 60% market share. They really were the poster child for carriers around the whole. Everyone wanted an NTT DoCoMo phone rather than a Sony/Fujitsu/etc. phone. They had amazing services, they provided the software for the phones and they would release ~10 models from multiple manufacturers simultaneously every three months.

I can see why Android appeals to NTT DoCoMo. They can keep their (largely legacy) services if they choose Android since it's an open platform. How could i-mode (or the modern equivalent) be supported on iOS?
  • Reply 84 of 104
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

The same way that they brought out the iPad mini after their CEO claimed that the original model was the minimum size for tablets, and that any smaller would require sandpapered fingertips.

I don't think that is correct. I believe Steve said that a 7" tablet was too small. The iPad Mini is not a 7" tablet. It is an 8" tablet and it has far more screen real estate than the typical 7" Android tablet.

• Reply 85 of 104
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    carthusia wrote: »
    I don't think that is correct. I believe Steve said that a 7" tablet was too small. The iPad Mini is not a 7" tablet. It is an 8" tablet and it has far more screen real estate than the typical 7" Android tablet.

Read my post for the direct quote from SJ

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/158270/japans-largest-carrier-sees-no-urgency-to-get-apples-iphone/40#post_2353836
  • Reply 86 of 104
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

In Europe, India and Chine is ALL about big screens. Apple can have it all, they don't even need a cheaper iPhone, just another premium 5" line. Then, 500 stores in China, 500 india, 600 Europe and Global iTunes and Ecosystem. No delays, no "US" App store crap. Just "global" app store.

Here, the tips for iOS domination. Give me a beer.

Apple has around 200 stores or so worldwide now and you say they need to open around 1,400 more. You obviously have had a few too many beers already.

• Reply 87 of 104
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

You're hilarious.

• Reply 88 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Then you don't need a bigger screen, that's all.  And that's okay, although comparing them to iPads is just silly.  Even a 4.8" Samsung phone is barely larger than an iPhone, due to far less bezel.

Those of us who do like larger screens, appreciate the extra size while still a very portable handheld.  (The slimness and curvature make Samsung phones easy to slip in and out of pockets.)

I like a larger screen for viewing photos/videos with family or friends, surfing the web, using any app, taking pictures, and for watching TV shows while waiting somewhere.   It's easier on my eyes, and it's easier to share.

I see.  I wasn't trying to compare to the iPad, just saying thats what I go to if/when I want a bigger touch screen and the apple tv isnt around.  I find it hard to share photos etc on any phone... we always end up just passing it around instead of everyone gathering around a single phone.  Most of my family members own an apple tv and we all have iOS devices so its real easy just to airplay stuff we want to share.

I have trouble getting my 2.5" pocket knife out of some of my pants... i dont think curvature of the edges is going to make a big difference in those.  It probably doesn't help that i have a silicone case that basically latches onto whatever surface it touches.

• Reply 89 of 104
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    That's only part of what he said. SJ also said this.
    It's obvious now that SJ and whoever else was included in 'we' were mistaken.

Given the screen technology available at the time of the iPad launch, he was right.
  • Reply 90 of 104
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Given the screen technology available at the time of the iPad launch, he was right.

But people didn't have a problem touching the icons on a 3.5" screen, so I don't buy that argument.
  • Reply 91 of 104
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

But people didn't have a problem touching the icons on a 3.5" screen, so I don't buy that argument.

Love to hear/read a good counter-argument to this.

Waiting ...

• Reply 92 of 104
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

I see.  I wasn't trying to compare to the iPad, just saying thats what I go to if/when I want a bigger touch screen and the apple tv isnt around. 

Ah, got it now.  Yes, that makes sense.  I also go to the iPad if I'm at home with it around.

If I'm out at a restaurant or someplace with family though, I rarely have a tablet with me, so a large screened phone is the next best thing.

Quote:

It probably doesn't help that i have a silicone case that basically latches onto whatever surface it touches.

For sure the case type can make a big difference as to both how nice it is to hold, and how easy to pocket!

• Reply 93 of 104
    povilaspovilas Posts: 473member

Quote:

No? Who said that?

Isn't the HTC one a great looking phone? If a crap company like HTC can do it, Why can't Apple? I think that they are leaving it for something special, like IGZO, but why? Most users don't care about that level quality or awesomeness, ask samsung.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Merely your opinion (which i somewhat agree with), nor did I ever say 5'', where 4.9 may be close to 5, it is not 5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I guess for a 5' tall geek maybe. I wear 34" waist pants and a 5" phone fits perfectly in my pockets... I dont mind people that prefer a 4", but at least give me a choice.

I just said that it's no longer a phone (you should be able to operate it with one hand and not everyone is able to do just that even with 3.5" screen). If you like bigger screen device which also can make calls i'm not stopping you. If Apple thinks that there is a market for 5" iPhones then good for you. I will personally settle for 3,5" screen phone and 7-10" tablet (iPhone 4S and iPad Mini).

• Reply 94 of 104
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

great post, if the world was only the usa. It is nothing like that in Europe and Asia, 

You'd be surprise how many iPhones you see on the trains in Tokyo. Oh, you see other ??? (smartphones) as well, in decent numbers, but iPhones are very popular and still desirable despite the overloading of advertising for Android phones you see everywhere. A number of my friends in Japan have switched to iPhones in the last year or two, and others have expressed their desire for iPhones but are locked into DoCoMo contracts, or are reliant on DoCoMo because of network coverage issues.

• Reply 95 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

You'd be surprise how many iPhones you see on the trains in Tokyo. Oh, you see other ??? (smartphones) as well, in decent numbers, but iPhones are very popular and still desirable despite the overloading of advertising for Android phones you see everywhere. A number of my friends in Japan have switched to iPhones in the last year or two, and others have expressed their desire for iPhones but are locked into DoCoMo contracts, or are reliant on DoCoMo because of network coverage issues.

Ok we know that the Iphone is very popular in Japan and the USA. It is repeated regularly by the same people who tell us that in the rest oft the world the Iphone is lossing market-share.

• Reply 96 of 104
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

I for one would like to have larger iPhone, especially wider, because I make too much typing mistakes when typing fast. It is also much pleasant to read in landscape mode.

I do believe Apple could release 4.6" iPhone in this year, 4x the resolution at some 460dpi. I also think screen technology is available, it this a question, though, if in satisfying mass production quantity. But I doubt Apple would settle with battery life for it...

4.6" would be slightly larger than current 4", but it would make a whole lot difference on the market.

• Reply 97 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamracer View Post

Ok we know that the Iphone is very popular in Japan and the USA. It is repeated regularly by the same people who tell us that in the rest oft the world the Iphone is lossing market-share.

Well, the 3 weeks that I was in England (London mostly), I did see more iPhones than any other phone. And I travelled by the tube everyday.

So now will we change and say "ok, it is popular in Japan and the USA and England" and then wait for someone else to say it is popular in some other country and add it to the list?

• Reply 98 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Well, the 3 weeks that I was in England (London mostly), I did see more iPhones than any other phone. And I travelled by the tube everyday.

So now will we change and say "ok, it is popular in Japan and the USA and England" and then wait for someone else to say it is popular in some other country and add it to the list?

Ok you got a point here :-)

All I wanted to say, that it is not the best solution to think the rest of the world is same than my city or country.

I'm living in Luxembourg and 2 years ago I thought: "Wow my apple stocks are a very good investment :-). 95% of the Smartphones i saw where Iphones. They were everywhere !" Now I'm frustrated because this changed a lot in the last +/- 9 months. This trend can also be seen in the statistics here in europe. I never thought, that this could change that fast.

--> sorry for my bad English, but we had to learn, french and german to in School :-)

• Reply 99 of 104
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    povilas wrote: »
    5" is no longer a phone.

That's why they are popular. Folks can't afford both smartphone and tablet.
  • Reply 100 of 104
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Apple has around 200 stores or so worldwide now and you say they need to open around 1,400 more. You obviously have had a few too many beers already.

Apple actually has around 400 stores worldwide with more each year.