Google Earth gets Street View and new UI in update

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google rolled out a substantial update to its Google Earth iOS app on Wednesday, bringing a few important changes to the title, the biggest being built-in Street View capabilities.

Google Earth

Until now, users of Google's mapping products on Apple's mobile platform had to switch between Google Earth and Google Maps to access features like Street View. With Wednesday's update, however, the Internet search giant is bringing parity to the two titles in an effort to further merges its existing software lineup.

The implementation of Street View adds another layer to the satellite imagery app, and brings the usual drag-and-drop controls first introduced on the Google Maps Web client. Users can zoom into the new mode by pulling the small yellow "stickman" icon at the top right of the screen into supported street zones, which are highlighted in blue.

In use, the feature is largely the same as the Google Maps for iOS version, though it feels a bit slow to load.

Another major change is the user interface, which has moved from the four-corner button layout to a theme more in line with Google's other iOS titles. Now, the layer selection menu and search button are located at the top of the screen, while the the current location and points of interest slider is at the bottom. All assets are positioned at the top of the screen in the iPad version of the app.

Other improvements to Google Earth include an updated direction search that visualizes walking, biking and driving directions in 3D instead of a top-down view. Also added is a refreshed search result list that allows users to browse through recent searches.

Google Earth is available now as a free download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Suggested headline revision: "Google Earth[B] for iOS[/B] gets Street View and new UI"
  • Reply 2 of 21
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Wow does this run S L O W on my iPhone 4. I'm feeling the pain of never upgrading, waiting till this fall for an iPhone 5S or whatever it will be called.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    jacobmxjacobmx Posts: 5member

Could someone please explain how to use street view on the iOS google maps app? I have had the app since it was released and have never been able to figure out how to use street view. 

• Reply 4 of 21
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    jacobmx wrote: »
    Could someone please explain how to use street view on the iOS google maps app? I have had the app since it was released and have never been able to figure out how to use street view. 

Tap and hold on the map, then swipe up the lower panel that appears.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    It is designed for an iPad screen... Yeah.

It is slow and tedious to navigate -- it kinda' does whatever it feels like doing -- the Touch UI is horrible!

Street View doesn't add much considering all that's missing in the same-old-same-old Google Earth.

Try Luna Park in Sydney Australia... There is a Wall with a big 3D Clown Face.

GE sucks at navigating to, and showing this in 3D.

GM Street View is better, but you can't get close enough in 3D with GE... and you can't get far enough away with GM Street View.

Apple Maps 3D Flyover is much easier, quicker -- and gives better results.

BTW, with GE and GM 3D at Hoover Dam -- the Highway still drops into the canyon -- Apple fixed that months ago!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    jacobmxjacobmx Posts: 5member

Thank you. Wow, that is not something I would have ever found.

• Reply 7 of 21
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Why can't google earth/maps can't merge?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Spot on Mr. Applebaum. This is truly an unusable app. Touch interface is sloppy and constantly moves the North to the side. Street View I haven't found; it always goes into this 'Ground View' thingy, which is completely useless, as everything is flat.

One would expect that people get better at something over time. Guess that doesn't apply to the Mountain View company where we get this free stuff from. Do they honestly believe that people are [S]enjoying[/S] using this crap? Because it's free? I don't like 'free'. I'd rather pay for something.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    philboogie wrote: »
    Spot on Mr. Applebaum. This is truly an unusable app. Touch interface is sloppy and constantly moves the North to the side. Street View I haven't found; it always goes into this 'Ground View' thingy, which is completely useless, as everything is flat.

One would expect that people get better at something over time. Guess that doesn't apply to the Mountain View company where we get this free stuff from. Do they honestly believe that people are enjoying using this crap? Because it's free? I don't like 'free'. I'd rather pay for something.

I'm sure that it depends a lot on location and the resolution of the imagery, but at least where I use it - in a mountainous region with high-resolution data - the app is spectacularly good.

It appears to default to "ground view" where it has no street view data.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    muppetry wrote: »
    I'm sure that it depends a lot on location and the resolution of the imagery, but at least where I use it - in a mountainous region with high-resolution data - the app is spectacularly good.

Of course, that would make sense. So I thought I take another peek, this time on my iPad as I already deleted it from my iPhone. Guess what, I couldn't find a setting to get into Street View. Oh well, I think the touch interface is poor anyway. Main gripe is that the North doesn't stay North when I want to zoom in or out. Compare that to Apple Maps... and I see why I deleted it.

So, gone from iPad as well. At this rate, I'm bound to be Google free before Android gets hit with another virus.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    double post, don't know why
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Another thing is the speed.

On my iPad 4, I did a series of searches ping=ponging back and forth between San Francisco and New York City in satellite.

>12 seconds Google Earth

<2 seconds Apple Maps
  • Reply 13 of 21

Of course, that would make sense. So I thought I take another peek, this time on my iPad as I already deleted it from my iPhone. Guess what, I couldn't find a setting to get into Street View. Oh well, I think the touch interface is poor anyway. Main gripe is that the North doesn't stay North when I want to zoom in or out. Compare that to Apple Maps... and I see why I deleted it.

So, gone from iPad as well. At this rate, I'm bound to be Google free before Android gets hit with another virus.

I agree the north thing is a bit odd - I don't know why it does that. On my iPad the orange street view thing appears right below the compass, and you just drag it to the map.

I much prefer Apple maps now, but for aerial imagery in my area, Google has significantly higher resolution and a better perspective shift that generates a very realistic 3D impression of the terrain as the viewpoint moves.
  • Reply 14 of 21

One would expect that people get better at something over time. Guess that doesn't apply to the Mountain View company where we get this free stuff from. Do they honestly believe that people are enjoying using this crap? Because it's free? I don't like 'free'. I'd rather pay for something.

I'll give you that... Google Earth, as expected, has better Satellite views in some areas.

One of my favorites is :Jungfraujoch" in the Swiss Alps, because I've been [near] tree.

On an iPad (or OSX Mavericks, if you are a developer) try searching for it...

Much Faster in apple Maps than Google Earth!

Similar quality 3D Flyover view for each.

Apple Maps wins hands down in ease of manipulating the view to het the viewing angle, altitude and headings you want to explore.

Try "Griffith Park Observatory", "Mt. Hood, Oregon"... again, Apple Maps gives better results: faster and easier!
  • Reply 15 of 21

I'll give you that... Google Earth, as expected, has better Satellite views in some areas.

One of my favorites is :Jungfraujoch" in the Swiss Alps, because I've been [near] tree.

Apple Maps wins hands down in ease of manipulating the view to het the viewing angle, altitude and headings you want to explore.

Try "Griffith Park Observatory", "Mt. Hood, Oregon"... again, Apple Maps gives better results: faster and easier!

Very nice close up views of the Jungfraujoch - I agree. At least as good as Google Earth. However, if you zoom out even just a little, Apple's imagery goes low res, while Google Earth stays sharp. I didn't see any speed differences.

I think Apple wins for maps and 3D cities, but I still find Google mostly better elsewhere.
  • Reply 16 of 21

Very nice close up views of the Jungfraujoch - I agree. At least as good as Google Earth. However, if you zoom out even just a little, Apple's imagery goes low res, while Google Earth stays sharp. I didn't see any speed differences.

I think Apple wins for maps and 3D cities, but I still find Google mostly better elsewhere.

The speed difference (unless the new location is very near) is that GE zooms out from your current location, traverses to the new location, than zooms in: > 12 seconds. Apple maps just goes to the new location: < 2 seconds.

GE Search is better, Apple Maps can't even find Mt. Everest.

What general locations do you find GE is superior?

I don't suffer any loss of resolution when zooming out of Jungfraujoch...

I am under NDA, so I can't really post any images of the New Apple Maps on iOS 7 and Mavericks... but it is much better and more flexible than iOS 6 Apple Maps.

I find that the Apple Maps 3D rendering is superior for both rural and urban. But GE has better satellite view in many places.
  • Reply 17 of 21

The speed difference (unless the new location is very near) is that GE zooms out from your current location, traverses to the new location, than zooms in: > 12 seconds. Apple maps just goes to the new location: < 2 seconds.

I am under NDA, so I can't really post any images of the New Apple Maps on iOS 7 and Mavericks... but it is much better and more flexible than iOS 6 Apple Maps.

I find that the Apple Maps 3D rendering is superior for both rural and urban. But GE has better satellite view in many places.

Try looking a few miles north. Wengen, for example.
  • Reply 18 of 21

Yes, definitely better with GE -- looks like Google has better satellite imagery. Also, Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald!

That whole area is so beautiful -- like a magical place.

I wonder if Google and Apple generate their 3D images from the Satellite imagery they buy -- or if they must do specific flyovers to capture 3D data. The reason I wonder about this is that both appear to use the same source images at certain altitudes (where you see some green 3D areas and grayer non-3D areas). GE appears to do a better job rendering 3D at a wider variety of rural altitudes. Mt Fuji and Mt Kilamanjero are examples of this.

If it involves special flights to capture rural 3D data, then GE has quite a lead. If it only involves 3D encoding of existing imagery, than it will be just a matter of time until Apple matches or exceeds GE (better rendering algorithms).

It is disappointing that GE is so uncontrollable with a touch interface (other than very basic moves).
  • Reply 19 of 21

Yes, definitely better with GE -- looks like Google has better satellite imagery. Also, Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald!

I wonder if Google and Apple generate their 3D images from the Satellite imagery they buy -- or if they must do specific flyovers to capture 3D data. The reason I wonder about this is that both appear to use the same source images at certain altitudes (where you see some green 3D areas and grayer non-3D areas). GE appears to do a better job rendering 3D at a wider variety of rural altitudes. Mt Fuji and Mt Kilamanjero are examples of this.

If it involves special flights to capture rural 3D data, then GE has quite a lead. If it only involves 3D encoding of existing imagery, than it will be just a matter of time until Apple matches or exceeds GE (better rendering algorithms).

It is disappointing that GE is so uncontrollable with a touch interface (other than very basic moves).

Except where Apple and Google have true multi-image 3D, such as for some cities, my impression is that they just generate psuedo-3D from flat images combined with digital elevation data to create apparent perspective and parallax as the point of view moves.

I'm sure that Apple will catch up but, at least for now, Google has more consistent coverage. The area just north of the Jungfrau is extremely low resolution, and basically worthless in Apple Maps. In my area the difference is much less and both are perfectly useable, but Google has better than 1 ft pixel resolution while Apple has more like 1 m (as opposed to 100 m or so at Wengen) and less effective parallax rendering.

I find the Google Earth touch interface to be a bit twitchy, but perfectly functional.
  • Reply 20 of 21

Except where Apple and Google have true multi-image 3D, such as for some cities, my impression is that they just generate psuedo-3D from flat images combined with digital elevation data to create apparent perspective and parallax as the point of view moves.

I'm sure that Apple will catch up but, at least for now, Google has more consistent coverage. The area just north of the Jungfrau is extremely low resolution, and basically worthless in Apple Maps. In my area the difference is much less and both are perfectly useable, but Google has better than 1 ft pixel resolution while Apple has more like 1 m (as opposed to 100 m or so at Wengen) and less effective parallax rendering.

I find the Google Earth touch interface to be a bit twitchy, but perfectly functional.

Wow, great discussion here! I'm going to try out all these spots you both mention, this Sunday.

As for the lower resolution difference between your two, could it be that one company has dynamic bandwidth scaling? Meaning they drop to lower resolution when your significant other kicks off a torrent in the den?

(Sorry about the quoting, 1) I thought it was funny that everyone 'just continued' and 2) I'm posting from an iPad and didn't feel like pinching much)