Editorial: Can Apple survive 2013?

Comments

• Reply 121 of 273
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    bwhagain wrote: »
    Y
    Yes buddy, I have used it. Have you? I am an iOS developer, got to check it out first hand. And I am not the only one who loath it. Mind you I always loved iOS , even I actually have done more work on Android.

So then you must realize that it's a beta and already some things have been tweaked.

The biggest paradigm shift of iOS 7 is for the OS to get out of the way of the content/apps.
  • Reply 122 of 273

DeD, just put a /s at the end of the title. You're confusing people that don't know you're a diehard fanboy that will cut his vains if Apple ever announces bankruptcy

• Reply 123 of 273
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    2. It was his opinion, he has every right to express it...

No. Don't even bother trying again. You don't care enough to get it right.
  • Reply 124 of 273
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I don't know anyone in love with their Android phone.
  • Reply 125 of 273
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Article is again way too long... to prove a point(?)

Anyway I just wanted to say that iOS7 is ugly and is a step back usability wise. I don't want to use a phone where everything is white, white, white! It hurts to use (I've seen the developers preview)
  • Reply 126 of 273
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Can they survive? Sure. Can they prospect at Apple-esque levels? Not if they don't start releasing some bleep bleep products already. A MacBook Air refresh that doesn't even run at the wireless speeds advertised thanks to handicapping at the OS level? Yawn. Next.

Apple is far from doomed, but they need to start putting their money where their mouth is with some tangible products already.

• Reply 127 of 273
    Can Apple Survive 2013?

Only if the government doesn't change tax laws to allow the $145+ BILLION the have offshore into the country. Otherwise Apple employees will be crushed under the sheer weight of all that cash dropped off at Apple headquarters.

Analysts complain Apple is "slowing" as only shallow vapid and insanely greedy first world people managing other people's money can. Apple makes more profit from handsets than ALL THE OTHER COMPANIES put together. Apple makes more profit from selling Macs than other top 5 vendors even though Apple lacks numbers. And THEN Apple runs the BIGGEST seller of various tyoes of content (music, movies, TV shows, Phone appls and Desktop apps) in each category.

In short, Apple has sat out 6 months and is merely making a few WHEELBARROWS less money than last year. Apple still leads in every industry they touch with profits more than the next two competitors (or more) combine. They can coast on what they got for years, because even though the sales have grown by 10's, the head count of the company is not even scaling by 2's because they don't own manufacturing, just engineering.

What's important is that they don't cave to Wall Street and put "shareholder value" above actual cash in hand profit like Microsoft did. Microsoft coud be far richer than Apple if they stopped the silly "monopoly in everything" games and cut all the products that have been losing money (and making lawyers rich with govt lawsuits) for decades. Microsoft has been chasing market share with billion dollar losing projects while Wall Street rewarded it for trying, base on how many companies it put out of business, not how well it was converting CASH to NEW PROFIT. Right now, nobody else out there is turning cash investment (R&D, capital improvements) into new profit like Apple.
  • Reply 128 of 273
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Total pile of BS and FUD.

Apple is constantly showing up in headline after headline about adoption of iPads and sometimes even iPhones by this or that company or school. Reports of developers creating for iOS but not Android etc

Apple will do just fine against this Android threat.
  • Reply 129 of 273
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Of course Apple can survive.  The world expects them to come out with grand slams every few years.  Well, guess what - that may not happen again for a long time to come.  

It is the Microsoft syndrome. Microsoft makes most of its money off of Windows and Office.  There isn't another product line that makes the same significant cash flow.  The Xbox comes close.  That is the main reason their stock has been stagnant for so long.  They've had too many failures to create the next multi-billion dollars leg to their company.  Zune and the Kin are just two of the memorable flops.

Apple released the iDevices but what's next?  Nobody has a really good an answer.  An iWatch?  Is that going to revolutionize the watch industry?  Who knows?  

Apple is a mature company with mature product lines.  An iWatch could simply be a logical extension of the iPods, but not a major category.  Investors need to stop looking for grand slams.  The Apple TV is slowly but surely turning into a mature product.  With more and more channels of content for the device it is only a matter of time before it goes mainstream.

Apple has already shown its intensions for the auto industry yet the market didn't seem to react to the news.  Apple's future strategy is pretty clear then: home theatre and autos while evolving their other ecosystems and tying them altogether in the iCloud.

Yes, Apple will survive and thrive. 

• Reply 130 of 273
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Apple's biggest most serious competitor, long term, is not google, Samsung or any other corporation. It's IndieGoGo, KickStarter and the rise of the indie developers. They have the power to change everything where as the corporations are more or less stuck and have too much at stake to make something truly game changing. Indies can focus on the small picture and create super smart and inventive things, where the corporations are stuck trying to invent the Swiss knife all over again.
  • Reply 131 of 273
    japm wrote: »
    No.

Apple (lately) is more like the scientist who claims to have cured cancer, but actually just copied another scientist who really cured it 2 years ago.

With your analogy isn't it more like there is not absolute cure for cancer. Just slightly different ways of dealing with it. There is no absolute way to handle a function. People take different approaches or copied approaches. If apple copied then android copied the basis of apple first. No doubt apple copied some things from others. It doesn't matter who copied who as long as it isn't detailed patented. We gotta stop letting general patents. Otherwise I am patenting the motion of breathing air and drinking water and charging everyone in the world 10 cents a day for its use.
  • Reply 132 of 273

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

This DED guys is short on facts on logic, and fails to ever believe that Apple could make a mistake, or fumble a bit.

Maybe we are both reading different articles, but his critique of the Google Android approach appeared to be coming mainly from the historic perspective of Apple's disastrous spell in the 90s, when its much-recommended strategy of licensing its OS to all-comers only succeeded in denting its own already-minuscule market share and profit margins in one fell swoop. Hardly a glowing commendation of Apple's past strategies.

The Zune analogies also hold true for Google's own fledgling hardware efforts to date, an error compounded by outright purchase of the 3rd party hardware vendor for a princely sum with no forseeable benefit. No shortage of logic there, or on the issue of fragmentation adversely impacting the fortunes of the vast majority of Android vendors bar one, whose strategy is a curiously identical clone of Apple's right down to the packaging and advertising levels.

It does help to read and comprehend the entire article before commenting, whilst disregarding the occasional typo and malapropism, which is an amusing by-product of DED's analytical brilliance. (You are no paragon of grammar yourself the way you mix your singular and plural nouns and verbs, LoL). You may disagree with this analysis but a bit of antithesis would help to rebut it, rather than a farrago of personal invective aimed at the writer in particular and AI in general.

I mean, what are you doing commenting  with such vehemence on this article if it is, by your own assertion, a low-volume backwater of a blog site with a nonentity for an author? Surely silence would be the best answer for a fool, or not?

• Reply 133 of 273
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

What I do do is point out the inconsistencies in these articles, and support the increase of Apple's market share with lower priced models, which goes against the religious fervour of the kind of buffoon now spewing his inarticulate ill formed rants across a once great site

And I am aiming to get morons like you who want to curtail debate on this forum banned. This used to be a place of normal people, who criticised Apples delays, supported some form factors, opposed others, until the APPLE CAN DO NO WRONG CULTISTS turned up and basically ruined it.

Do us all a favour and join the Scientology cult. Or some other cult. This is a discussion with people who may have different opions.

Sorry if my quote of yours is out of context, but I agree.

It doesn't matter if I have purchased 50k worth of hardware designed by Apple, when I post a grievance of a minor/major item in any thread I get "bashed" or probably hidden.  This has become rather cultish.  I don't really mind if I'm hidden...

I find it even more hilarious that if I walk into an APPL store, they immediately know my purchasing history (products owned) and will even pull up service bulletins and show that the issue is being worked on.  On this site if you mention that you own an APPL product (even worse if multiple) it's literally Troll Rule #1.  What gives?  Heck I even buy them as gifts for friends and family.  I always see them using them so they must be good gifts...

I posted my dismay about "Full Screen Apps and Airplay Mirroring" since it's debut.  I opened multiple threads with Apple.  Posted them as bugs "when I full screen an app I have two beautiful linen paperweights".  Lowe and behold the newest OSX update fixes everything (was a "tent pole feature") that I complained about officially with Apple.  No one ever said I might have been right here.  That it was a complete debacle put forth by a company who advocates using multiple displays.  I figured just saying that would get me banned.  I guess not seeing the senior posters apparently did not try to get me banned.

My point being that you'll either be ignored, called a troll, or bashed until APPL fixes the problem.  However, once they fix it... the issue never even happened!  LOL!

• Reply 134 of 273
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member
    I might be a little narrow-sighted but $705 - $385 pretty much indicates who has control over the smartphone industry and it isn't Apple. I'm absolutely certain shareholders will not put up with another 20% - 30% share price drop without some major investor defections. You can talk about profit margins and net usage and all those other seemingly unimportant numbers but if Apple's company value continues to collapse, none of those numbers will amount to a hill of beans. Apple will be as good as dead.

The news media and computer industry will continue to have a field day over Apple's incompetence. Apple is already the laughingstock of tech companies and pretty much considered to be a company quickly on the wane. Everyone is ripping Apple except consumers, however, as less iPhones are sold, it will be pointed out that consumers are also turning away from Apple. Only Apple knows how well it is really doing and all the news stories may only be fabricated. But the way I see it, if Apple's value continues to decline there doesn't seem to be any point of making excuses for the company. Apple really appears to be a company leisurely swimming upstream and not making any headway. Just merely happy to stay in one spot.

Your post is based on a fundamental mistake.

What you say is "value".

What you mean is "market valuation".

These are two completely different things.
  • Reply 135 of 273
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    This has to be Dilger's most egregious Straw Man ever.

Get a life son, it's only a company, not a religion.
  • Reply 136 of 273
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Well let me stop you right there: this is the Internet! We don't need facts or logic.

Wait! Let me get a cup of tea, this is going to be a good one.

• Reply 137 of 273

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I might be a little narrow-sighted but $705 - $385 pretty much indicates who has control over the smartphone industry and it isn't Apple. 

Google's share price of $705 has little or nothing to do with its indifferent financial performance in the smartphone sector, and more to do with its core competency, search-based advertising on the desktop platform. Apple's share price of $385 is a mysterious travesty to all but those shysters manipulating stocks to their profit. All subjective perception based on few facts if any at all.

Quote:

You can talk about profit margins and net usage and all those other seemingly unimportant numbers but if Apple's company value continues to collapse, none of those numbers will amount to a hill of beans. Apple will be as good as dead.

Quote:

Everyone is ripping Apple except consumers

Quote:

Apple is already the laughingstock of tech companies and pretty much considered to be a company quickly on the wane.

So lets see: By your own analysis - on the plus side, industry-leading Profit Margins and Profit Share, dominant Net Usage, overwhelming Consumer Support and loyalty are seemingly "unimportant numbers", indications of a company in decline in a profit- and sales-based capitalist global economy, while the more significant parameters in your estimation are the negative factors of its market valuation (still world-leading, despite the share price slump) and the laughing stock and scorn of "tech companies" and "everyone except consumers"?

No wonder Apple seems to be a company "leisurely swimming upstream", if those latter points, all subjective presumption and opinionated speculation are the only factors militating against it... many leading "tech companies" would give their eye-teeth to be in such an "unenviable" position as the Fruity Deity :-)

• Reply 138 of 273
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member

Yay! Nice op-ed. Go Dilger!

• Reply 139 of 273
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

"so you're not going to cure my obesity? What a jerk!" image

• Reply 140 of 273
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Apple's biggest most serious competitor, long term, is not google, Samsung or any other corporation. It's IndieGoGo, KickStarter and the rise of the indie developers. They have the power to change everything where as the corporations are more or less stuck and have too much at stake to make something truly game changing. Indies can focus on the small picture and create super smart and inventive things, where the corporations are stuck trying to invent the Swiss knife all over again.

These days if you have a successful startup (i.e. good idea, lasted 2 years, good growth), one of the big guys will just buy you out. You don't have to accept but they will make it a tough decision!