Apple's French headquarters raided by government competition authority

Comments

• Reply 61 of 94
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'm a liberal and I wouldn't even go to France.... I don't like their laws. How does stuff like this even get to court in France? I mean really? It's anti competitive to have Apple Stores getting Apple products first. What? Really? What did the retailers expect? They should offer all of the options maybe rather than being exclusive to Apple. It's putting all of your eggs into one basket.

What did people think was going to happen when there are huge Apple stores?

Of course a retailer or two might go out of business, that's plain common business sense. That's how business works, those that don't succeed go out of business. Time to find a new line of work perhaps.

• Reply 62 of 94
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'll be going to Europe for more than six weeks, but France is obviously not included in my travel itinerary. The thought never even crossed my mind.

Shame.  It's a beautiful hellhole.

• Reply 63 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephane36 View Post

It wasn't an armed police raid.

Who said that it was?

Some French people here seem to have a problem with the term raid being used. Get over it, because you all are wrong. It was a raid.

• Reply 64 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephane36 View Post

But several other european big resellers went belly up, following Apple stores growth. 

And the problem is? 

That is a natural consequence of Apple store growth. 

• Reply 65 of 94
    teejay2012teejay2012 Posts: 368member

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

I came to this site with a great admiration for Apple, and the positive aspects of your society that made it possible. I quit the site, with regret, due to the -not so positive- other aspects, which I knew, but obviously underestimated.

The French quitting? How unusual :)

Stop with the duplicitous comments please.

It is not the site that is the problem - it your whiny attitude.

• Reply 66 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

1. Learning a second language is compulsory in secondary education in many regions of the United States. The most popular second language is Spanish rather than French for obvious reasons. For obvious reasons there is little incentive to learn several languages in the United States. English has, for better or worse, become the de facto international language as English is the language of business.

Besides, people in third-world countries, like Europe, can understand English well enough if you shout it at them. 

• Reply 67 of 94
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by oomu View Post

"I think, its fun to be in France to see stupid things like this. "

yes, it's fun.

it prevents us to live horrible things like that:

American Way of Birth, Costliest in the World : http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/health/american-way-of-birth-costliest-in-the-world.html?hp&_r=0 (and no better).

Thanks for making really relevant arguments.   Let's compare the cost of giving birth in the  U.S. to whether or not it is valid for the French to "raid" Apple's offices to see if they're participating in anti-competitive behavior.  

The other ridiculous stereotypes about Americans posted above are about as accurate as American perceptions about the French:  rudeness, cowardly, body odor, etc.   All those stereotypes are ridiculous when at the same time, each has just the tiniest bit of truth, which is how they become stereotypes in the first place.

As to whether Apple is responsible for this independent store going out of business, there are five Apple stores in Manhattan, yet an independent store like TekServe survives quite well.   Independent stores J&R and BH Photo Video sell tons of Apple products and Best Buy sells them as well.   Yet everyone survives.    And that's in addition to the hundreds of phone stores that sell Apple products.    So there are ways to survive even when Apple opens their own stores (and assuming that Apple in France was not doing anything different in terms of supplying local stores than Apple U.S. does). 

• Reply 68 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Besides, people in third-world countries, like Europe, can understand English well enough if you shout it at them. 

English is the only international language that is dominant in virtually all aspects of areas of importance, such as the internet, business, media etc.

In the future, with more globalization occurring, I believe that all other languages should eventually die out and be eliminated, with English being the only true language to be spoken and used.

• Reply 69 of 94
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    English is the only international language that is dominant in virtually all aspects of areas of importance, such as the internet, business, media etc.

In the future, with more globalization occurring, I believe that all other languages should eventually die out and be eliminated, with English being the only true language to be spoken and used.

Y'know, you got a great point there. I especially look forward to the "elimination" of Hebrew and the other Semitic languages, and all the African languages, and all the Asiaic languages, and the Turkic languages, don't get me started . . .

And take out the 30 percent of the English vocabulary that is derived from French while we're at it. Purify the glorious dominant Father Language! (You can leave the 25 percent that is Germanic.)

One thing you can say about us Americans like Apple ][ and me is that we hate history, and other languages are nothing but repositories of human history. Away with them!

/s, just in case anybody's not paying attention.
  • Reply 70 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Y'know, you got a great point there. I especially look forward to the "elimination" of Hebrew and the other Semitic languages, and all the African languages, and all the Asiaic languages, and the Turkic languages, don't get me started . . .

And take out the 30 percent of the English vocabulary that is derived from French while we're at it. Purify the glorious dominant Father Language! (You can leave the 25 percent that is Germanic.)

One thing you can say about us Americans like Apple ][ and me is that we hate history, and other languages are nothing but repositories of human history. Away with them!

/s, just in case anybody's not paying attention.

This has nothing to do with history. There is no use in preserving outdated forms of communication, which have been surpassed by superior and more useful methods. People who care about history or those who are ignorant of history can pick up a book if they so desire. What do I care if nobody speaks a certain language anymore? 

You can not stop progress. Certain languages will certainly die out and become less used. Language evolves all of the time. I definitely believe that English should conquer the entire world. I also actively discriminate against and ignore all non-English speakers in the US, as I have no time for ignorant people.

• Reply 71 of 94
    This has nothing to do with history. There is no use in preserving outdated forms of communication, which have been surpassed by superior and more useful methods. People who care about history or those who are ignorant of history can pick up a book if they so desire. What do I care if nobody speaks a certain language anymore? 

You can not stop progress. Certain languages will certainly die out and become less used. Language evolves all of the time. I definitely believe that English should conquer the entire world. I also actively discriminate against and ignore all non-English speakers in the US, as I have no time for ignorant people.

Breathtaking. If it were real.

Folks, I give Exhibit A that this person could not be for real. He would have been punched into oblivion a long time ago. He would have died of ulcers living in New York. He would have been silenced by Thorazine. And so on.

If such a person believed what he says he does, he would not be able to form a coherent sentence. He's been working very hard at this soul-killing work. Let's all wish him a nice, long vacation.
  • Reply 72 of 94
    reefoidreefoid Posts: 158member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You can not stop progress. 

Indeed you can't.

Quote:

Certain languages will certainly die out and become less used. Language evolves all of the time.

Very true.  Many minority languages die out every year.

So far so good.

Quote:

I definitely believe that English should conquer the entire world.

Oh dear.  Its all gone a bit wrong here.  Good luck getting those 1.3 billion Chinese to give up their languages that predate your entire nation by several millenia. Its called culture, you might want to look into it at some point.

Quote:

I also actively discriminate against and ignore all non-English speakers in the US, as I have no time for ignorant people.

Wow, those pesky, ignorant tourists must love you.  This statement, and those you've made about France, say everything we need to know about you.  Confirms what I've thought about you for a long time.

• Reply 73 of 94
    reefoid wrote: »
    Indeed you can't.

Very true.  Many minority languages die out every year.

So far so good.

Oh dear.  Its all gone a bit wrong here.  Good luck getting those 1.3 billion Chinese to give up their languages that predate your entire nation by several millenia. Its called culture, you might want to look into it at some point.

Wow, those pesky, ignorant tourists must love you.  This statement, and those you've made about France, say everything we need to know about you.  Confirms what I've thought about you for a long time.

Well said. I love the tone. If only we all had such a bedside manner, and if only he were confined to a bed.

He really jumped the shark this time. But I still think that no real person could be saying these things and still be able to use passable human language. Klansmen, for example, generally can't conduct themselves on a public forum like this. I hope i'm not wrong about this, because the alternative is despair about my fellow Americans, even though he is from New York where there is actually a newspaper devoted to his kind of jingoism.
  • Reply 74 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

Wow, those pesky, ignorant tourists must love you.  

Tourists are fine, as long as they speak English of course. Every person in the world who considers themselves to be educated, or any person who travels a lot should know how to speak the single most important language on the planet.

• Reply 75 of 94
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Vissez le français
  • Reply 76 of 94
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Tourists are fine, as long as they speak English of course. Every person in the world who considers themselves to be educated, or any person who travels a lot should know how to speak the single most important language on the planet.

Binary?
  • Reply 77 of 94
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Well, what do you think is going to happen with Ebonics?  It's being spoken by more and more people every day an it is certainly expanding.  And what about cryptic text messages where people type in abbreviations.  /s  LOL LMFOA

They left out the computer definition of RAID when used as an acronym.  Redundant Array Inexpensive Drive.

Also, which form of English?  King's English, American English, and which variation? North, East, West or South or MidWest?  There are variations of American English, especially in how it's pronounced.

• Reply 78 of 94

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Well, what do you think is going to happen with Ebonics?  It's being spoken by more and more people every day an it is certainly expanding.  And what about cryptic text messages where people type in abbreviations.  /s  LOL LMFOA

I agree with what you are inferring. I have long maintained that many of the newer generations that are coming up are only getting dumber and they are losing vital skills, such as the ability to write or properly communicate. I'm sure that many people saw a certain woman testifying under a certain high profile trial recently who declared that she couldn't even read cursive. Dumbasses growing up today do not know how to spell properly, and why should they? They are busy texting away on their devices, using a bastardized language where even the simplest of words are abbreviated.

It'll be hilarious if there's a huge EMP attack one day, what will the dumbasses do then, without their crutches?

As for which type of English? There will obviously be variations, as dialects will remain, depending upon geographical location.

• Reply 79 of 94
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    The rest of Europe has learned to ignore the French, you Americans will learn that pretty quickly. Challenge them to something, they'll surrender before they even find out what the challenge is about.
  • Reply 79 of 94
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    The rest of Europe has learned to ignore the French, you Americans will learn that pretty quickly. Challenge them to something, they'll surrender before they even find out what the challenge is about.