Windows 8 install base surpasses Vista, still trails all Mac OS X installs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74

This article shows that (as usual) over 90% of web traffic is from MS Windows based computers and Windows 8 alone will soon have more users than all of Mac OSX combined, after just a few months. So what?

Are Mac OSX and Windows really that relevant to each other these days? Use whatever desktop OS suits your needs and get on with it.

• Reply 42 of 74
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    desuserign wrote: »
    "Windows 8 install base surpasses Vista"

"install base"?
    Really?
    Really!?

Base ready to install. Click button to install.
  • Reply 43 of 74

All your install base are belong to........nvm sorry :(

• Reply 44 of 74
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Even 12 years after its release, 37.17 percent of computers are running Windows XP

That's because there is nothing compelling in the OS space that makes their email, internet, or games run quicker/better. There is no 'killer app' that requires an upgrade. Microsoft OS upgrades more often than not come with the need for a hardware upgrade. More and more people rather just buy a tablet. 

• Reply 45 of 74

Hmmmm, that is interesting, because what I saw was that the number of enterprise users that are jumping aboard Windows 8 was a dismal .56%

Windows 8 install base is really misleading since they OEM it on new machines being bought today.

• Reply 46 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I don't think one can accurately determine the "install base" just from web usage statistics, especially for Windows. I would imagine that many of the older Windows machines are stuck doing mundane business or industrial tasks without the Internet. Things that come to mind are accounting employees who are not allowed to connect to the Internet. Industrial machinery control systems, weapons control systems, public utility control systems, transit control systems. Even if these older XP machines, or even newer ones, used in this manner are connecting to Internet they are not visiting sites with advertising that analysis companies use to calculate usage statistics.

Same goes for servers. Our data center which is the largest in Orange County is said to be 60% Windows and 40% Linux. There is only one guy that I know of there that has Macs and it is just one cabinet. None of those servers ever log into a webpage with stat collection running on it.

• Reply 47 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Win8 is sitting on PCs in Dell's warehouse and Best Buy's storage rooms. This survey is for web use.

Where's Mac OS X 10.5 in the chart?!

You nailed it. Uncle Fester announced that MS sold 60 million copies of Win8 in the first 30 days. Tow months later (while Win8 was still on sale) they announced they only sold another 40 million copies. So most of that 60 million must have gone to OEMs for computers to be built and sent out to retailers over the next 12 months (or more). 

Mac OS 10.5 is categorized under "other" as it powers the old G3 - G5 CPUs.

• Reply 48 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by quicksilverhuh View Post

Hmmmm, that is interesting, because what I saw was that the number of enterprise users that are jumping aboard Windows 8 was a dismal .56%

Enterprise users are only now upgrading to Win7. It'll be a cold day in Redmond before enterprise will be doing another upgrade to Win8.

• Reply 49 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

That's because there is nothing compelling in the OS space that makes their email, internet, or games run quicker/better. There is no 'killer app' that requires an upgrade. Microsoft OS upgrades more often than not come with the need for a hardware upgrade. More and more people rather just buy a tablet   iPad. 

Fixed that for you. The iPad has proven to be the favorite tablet of commercial, institutional (schools) and government. In fact, the iPad is the ONLY approved tablet for the U.S. government going forward. 

• Reply 50 of 74
    andrzejlsandrzejls Posts: 84member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hey I installed 8.1 and it sucks just as much.

Windows 8.1 beta (?) was just released to developers. Are you a developer for Windows 8?. If not,  I would like know how did you got it?. Or this is just you talking trash?

• Reply 51 of 74
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    mstone wrote: »
    I don't think one can accurately determine the "install base" just from web usage statistics, especially for Windows. I would imagine that many of the older Windows machines are stuck doing mundane business or industrial tasks without the Internet. Things that come to mind are accounting employees who are not allowed to connect to the Internet. Industrial machinery control systems, weapons control systems, public utility control systems, transit control systems. Even if these older XP machines, or even newer ones, used in this manner are connecting to Internet they are not visiting sites with advertising that analysis companies use to calculate usage statistics.

Same goes for servers. Our data center which is the largest in Orange County is said to be 60% Windows and 40% Linux. There is only one guy that I know of there that has Macs and it is just one cabinet. None of those servers ever log into a webpage with stat collection running on it.

I thought you would argue that all of the firms that gather web usage stats by OS were wrong because they don't know how to read the user-agent string, thereby over counting Macs. ;) Now you are arguing that Windows is under counted because Windows Servers in data centers don't surf the web... Yeah well Windows 8 is not a server OS, and Microsoft doesn't license it for server use. The article is about Windows 8.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Isn't "internet" supposed to be capitalized too?

The iPad auto-correction capitalizes it so it must be so.

• Reply 53 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I thought you would argue that all of the firms that gather web usage stats by OS were wrong because they don't know how to read the user-agent string, thereby over counting Macs. image Now you are arguing that Windows is under counted because Windows Servers in data centers don't surf the web... Yeah well Windows 8 is not a server OS, and Microsoft doesn't license it for server use. The article is about Windows 8.

Since when has a DED article or the comments ever been just about what the title says?

There are plenty of mentions of XP in the article and the comments which was what my initial  reply was in regard to, My second comment was about servers and true there was no mention in the article about servers but it supports my primary opinion that browser based stats are extremely inaccurate because there are so many different usage scenarios. It is highly unscientific to use just web browsing to draw conclusions about total install base as the stats discrepancy between iPhone and Android also demonstrates. These analytics companies can only count the crappy websites that use their lame software. You'll never see any such statistics from any of the big players like Google Analytics or Omniture or stats from Facebook, Yahoo, Microsoft, Doubleclick, or Twitter because they keep their stuff totally private. I compare my own stats to the ones that get mentioned here and they are always off one way or the other by a large margin.

Another example is just to examine my own personal browsing habits. I do 90% of my web surfing on my iMac. I own a MBP, a couple iPads, an iPhone and a Mac Pro. If the survey sample rate were reduced to just people like me, one would make the assumption that iMacs out sell all other Apple device by 90%.

• Reply 54 of 74
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Fixed that for you. The iPad has proven to be the favorite tablet of commercial, institutional (schools) and government. In fact, the iPad is the ONLY approved tablet for the U.S. government going forward. 

A link would be nice. Quick googling for "US government approved tablet" shows links with RIM's PlayBook, something called Samsung Knox (?!?)... but nothing to point out exclusivity you are talking about.

In addition, since most government agencies are Microsoft licensees... do you really think that Windows tablets will not leak significantly into official circles? All those business oriented tablets that have started emerging in the last 6 months or so, like ThinkPad Tablet 2, HP ElitePad 900..?

Looking at the interest they are generating among our customers, I'd really be surprised if that does not happen.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

A link would be nice. Quick googling for "US government approved tablet" shows links with RIM's PlayBook, something called Samsung Knox (?!?)... but nothing to point out exclusivity you are talking about.

In addition, since most government agencies are Microsoft licensees... do you really think that Windows tablets will not leak significantly into official circles? All those business oriented tablets that have started emerging in the last 6 months or so, like ThinkPad Tablet 2, HP ElitePad 900..?

Looking at the interest they are generating among our customers, I'd really be surprised if that does not happen.

As a contractor for a major financial firm in CA, I saw one Android  (I believe) tablet, while everyone else had iPads. when we did QA it was only on iPads

• Reply 56 of 74
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    andrzejls wrote: »
    Windows 8.1 beta (?) was just released to developers. Are you a developer for Windows 8?. If not,  I would like know how did you got it?. Or this is just you talking trash?

8.1 Preview is available for DL.

It does not change too much, IMHO... but to my surprise, some of the most vocal opponents of W8 seem to be quite tolerant toward W8.1, at least from what I've seen in AnandTech discussions. Secrets of human mind, eh?

Most of the things at a first glance are tweaks:

Same background for Start screen and desktop, creating illusion that tiles are appearing on actual desktop. This eliminated bipolar nature of Start and desktop screens in terms of visual presentation, but hasn't changed underlying mechanics.

Added button to switch between favourites and all apps on Start screen. Previously you had to right-click for button-bar and then left-click on all apps button. Not major, but fine tweak.

Start button on desktop. In combination with shared wallpaper between desktop and Start screen, it blurs separation between GUIs and does give a more uniform presentation, but like I said, it is only re visuals - you are still dealing with two GUIs.

More options in right-click-on-left-corner menu. Among others, Shut Down/Sleep is added, so you don't have to go for CTRL+ALT+DEL or open charms and click on Settings to shut down your PC.

You should be able to open more than 2 apps on Modern screen, though they still open in full screen height columns. Haven't tried this yet, don't know if you can at least change column width arbitrary or is it still 1/3 of the screen steps.

All in all, it is basically service pack - at the first glance, that is. But it seems it will be welcomed by many.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    More people use .6 than .7?

Shouldn't they compare the newest osx with the newest windows op?
  • Reply 58 of 74
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

All in all, it is basically service pack - at the first glance, that is. But it seems it will be welcomed by many.

Given that it will be free to all windows 8 users, it is basically a service pack.

• Reply 59 of 74
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Windows 8 running on a tablet would be in these stats, so why isn't the iPad in there?
  • Reply 60 of 74
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

It's not separating 8 from 8.1.

Also, how many Macs are running a 12 year old OS?

Does Classic OS 9 count?

We still have a single FileMaker 4 database running on a G5 with 10.4 that has Classic mode.

Don't ask me why it was never upgraded. image

And I have encountered many installations that use Quark 4.1 with extensions that obviously require OS 9 that are still in operation.