Apple's quarterly conference call for Q3 2013 scheduled for July 23

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Apple on Monday announced it will be holding its quarterly conference call for the third fiscal quarter of 2013 on July 23, where CEO Tim Cook and CFO Peter Oppenheimer will likely discuss the company's performance over the past three months.

Earnings

In an update to its Investor Relations webpage, Apple announced the upcoming earnings call, which should include company performance information for the third quarter and forward looking statements for the fourth quarter.

During Apple's quarterly conference call for the second quarter of 2013, the company beat Wall Street expectations on revenue, but saw profits slow for the first time in ten years.

As for this quarter, Apple's guidance put revenue between $33.5 billion and $35.5 billion, with gross margin between 36 percent and 37 percent and operating expenses between $3.85 billion and $3.95 billion. Other income/(expense) was pegged at around $300 million.

Apple's conference call for the second quarter of 2013 is scheduled for Tuesday, July 23, at 2 p.m. Pacific / 5 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be covering the call live, while a live audio stream will be made available here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple misses estimates: stock falls (Apple is doomed)
    Apple matches estimates: stock falls (Apple is still doomed)
    Apple beats estimates: stock falls (Apple will be doomed, only a matter of time).
  • Reply 2 of 14

Halt the Stock, blow out the bear media by a gap up buying. Keep that gap intact whole next day, next night after market 8 EST announce China Mobile Deal to see another big gap up. One more night later, announce iphone 5S event, a night later announce one more event (iphone lite?) This is the best way lol

Announce new products are on the way going into 2014 and so on and developments are going strong.....

Stock will see easy $550 - $600 in 3-4 days with new highs to come later in the year or early 2014!!!

• Reply 3 of 14
    drealothdrealoth Posts: 79member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple misses estimates: stock falls (Apple is doomed)

Apple matches estimates: stock falls (Apple is still doomed)

Apple beats estimates: stock falls (Apple will be doomed, only a matter of time).

So put your money where your mouth is, and short it.

• Reply 4 of 14
    drealoth wrote: »
    So put your money where your mouth is, and short it.

It was sarcasm. WS will find a reason to sell.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Hits their number stock goes up, sit tight.
    Misses their number stock goes down, buy.
    But more importantly where is my bigger iPhone or smaller iPad mini?
    I really want the biggest, mobile, pocketable iOS powered device possible.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

yet another opportunity for WS criminals to make some money for nothing...

• Reply 7 of 14
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    This is probably one of the least anticipated earnings call ever. There seem to be few unknowns that will move the needle
  • Reply 8 of 14
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

This is probably one of the least anticipated earnings call ever. There seem to be few unknowns that will move the needle

Estimates are still at $7.30 compare to actual 2012 of $9.80  If they miss already low estimates the stock will go to $350 or less. In the past Apple had drops on earnings because it always had a huge rally before them and expectections were overblown.

Now we have very low expectactions and estimates, and we probably wont rally into earnings. For the sake of the company, I am hoping the ipad mini sales will compensate for lower iphone sales. Think about this guys, lower EPS than last year is horrible, if the iphone 5 sells less units than the 4s last year, there is something very wrong with the iphone and consumer perception of it.

On the other hand, Apple did the right thing with the ipad, with 2 NEW models and 2 market segments, which is best of middle range segment and best of the high end. If Apple did well with the ipad, then its a proof of concept it can do well with 2 or more NEW iphone models. Number of unit sales YoY for ipad and iphone is going to be critical metrics. Last year Apple had the ipad 3 which was new, if this year they reach the same number of unit sales (or just a bit lower) with the mini/regular combo, this means the ipad model is great.

So if the ipad numbers are great but the stock tanks on missed EPS and lower than last year iphone sales, then buy at the lows, because we have enough leaks that proves Apple will diversified its iphone line in 2013.

Past unit sales: Critical metrics to watch:  Q312 VS Q313

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

Notice the impacts of the ipad mini? look at Q212 VS Q213

• Reply 9 of 14
    Unfortunately you can't compare qtrs YOY. The ipad 3 was release last year just prior to the qtr. No new products were released this past qtr.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

I look forward to Apple getting punished, mocked, and belittled yet again after posting one of the most (if not the most) successful quarterly results of any company on the planet. 

• Reply 11 of 14
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Estimates are still at $7.30 compare to actual 2012 of $9.80  If they miss already low estimates the stock will go to $350 or less. In the past Apple had drops on earnings because it always had a huge rally before them and expectections were overblown.

2012 was an unusually high revenue and high gross margin year (i.e. unusually high EPS).  At that 2012 EPS, PE should've been 30 or higher, but it wasn't.  Instead, PE was around 17.  So while I agree that Apple is vulnerable to drama-induced stock prices, I do not agree that overblown expectations justified drops in stock prices.  Overblown by manipulators maybe, but not by informed citizens.

With Apple continuing its increase in YOY revenue, brand strength and ecosystem domination (not to mention a bazillion credit card accounts)...there's no way this stock should be near PE of 10 today...even with gross margins "suppressed".

Apple will not miss $7.30.  But even if they nail that on the head, prices should be nearer to $600 based solely on PE.  Apple continues to add billions of cash on a consistent basis (+ dividends).  Is there fierce competition in some segments?...absolutely.  But it's not required to capture majority share in all segments especially when Apple is the only cohesive ecosystem on the planet.  As Apple EXPANDS to other segments, it disrupts and profits on it...ADDING to revenue.

• Reply 12 of 14
    jungmark wrote: »
    Unfortunately you can't compare qtrs YOY. The ipad 3 was release last year just prior to the qtr. No new products were released this past qtr.

Like i said, i am taking this into account.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    drewys808 wrote: »
    2012 was an unusually high revenue and high gross margin year (i.e. unusually high EPS).  At that 2012 EPS, PE should've been 30 or higher, but it wasn't.  Instead, PE was around 17.  So while I agree that Apple is vulnerable to drama-induced stock prices, I do not agree that overblown expectations justified drops in stock prices.  Overblown by manipulators maybe, but not by informed citizens.

With Apple continuing its increase in YOY revenue, brand strength and ecosystem domination (not to mention a bazillion credit card accounts)...there's no way this stock should be near PE of 10 today...even with gross margins "suppressed".

Apple will not miss $7.30.  But even if they nail that on the head, prices should be nearer to $600 based solely on PE.  Apple continues to add billions of cash on a consistent basis (+ dividends).  Is there fierce competition in some segments?...absolutely.  But it's not required to capture majority share in all segments especially when Apple is the only cohesive ecosystem on the planet.  As Apple EXPANDS to other segments, it disrupts and profits on it...ADDING to revenue.

I agree on margins. But apple sold 2 times more iphone 4s than iphone 4. With the iphone 5, growth as almost stop in unit sales. So there is growth deceleration, eps is going down. No stock can maintain a high PE with stats like that.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

No stock can maintain a high PE with stats like that.

Yes... but don't it come down to the definition of "high"?

Apple's PE has historically been low (as it is today) relative to other similar companies...but yes, I realize there is no company exactly like Apple.  I always challenge others to show me a publicly traded company with eps, solid balance sheet, forward guidance and brand strength that trades anywhere near the PE that Apple is at...because I'd love to own some of those "other" companies.

As for gross margins, I'm VERY concerned that if the rumored Cheap iPhone is launched in developed countries, GM will be FURTHER reduced (read: cannibalization) and so will earnings.  But if the cheap iPhone is dirt cheap (and severely feature-restricted) that would be a different story.

I'd prefer Apple to launch into new segments, like feature phone and large screen...of course, provided they can innovate to a point where the feature phone is a high quality device/low price and the large screen has high quality screen/great battery life.  Price umbrellas are getting complicated.

I'm hoping for win-win...that both consumers and share holders can benefit from Apple's business success.