Apple nears Time Warner deal for Apple TV, hires Hulu VP to aid in future content negotiation

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple and U.S. cable company Time Warner are closing in on a deal that will give subscribers access to cable channels via Apple TV, which also claims the Cupertino company has taken on Hulu media marketing chief Pete Distad to help secure content, according to one report.

Time Warner

Citing people familiar with the talks, Bloomberg reported Tuesday that Apple and Time Warner plan to announce the agreement in the coming months once a deal has been solidified. It is unknown what channels will be offered if and when a deal is finally struck, but access will likely be for existing cable subscribers only.

While a Time Warner Cable spokesperson said the company has "no agreement with [Apple]," it has similar content deals in place for Roku's set-top box, as well as Microsoft's Xbox game console. The company already allows subscribers to watch certain channels on iOS devices with its TWC TV app, which is also available for Android.

In addition to the Time Warner arrangement, the publication claims Apple has hired Hulu's now former vice president of marketing and distribution Pete Distad to help executives with upcoming negotiations with media and cable companies.

No further details were divulged regarding the executive's hire, but Distad's bio on Hulu's website says he is in charge of ?subscriber acquisition and retention, paid, on-channel, and brand marketing, distribution and promotional partnerships, and content marketing.?

Apple has become more aggressive in acquiring content for its Apple TV "hobby," most recently adding channels HBO GO, WatchESPN, and more to the small streaming device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Hah - iWatch !
  • Reply 2 of 43
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member
    I second that! (No pun intended, I remember the swiss clock discussion)
  • Reply 3 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Citing people familiar with the talks, Bloomberg reported on Tuesday that Apple and Time Warner plan to announce the agreement in the coming months once a deal has been solidified.

So, looking over my calendar, it seems by the time Monkey Boy's $500 XBomb hits the market around the end of the year, Apple will have a $100 alternative for home entertainment shipping in droves.

Well played, Tim, well played.

• Reply 4 of 43
    Aw man... Looks like Apple isn't going for their "tear up the cable box" vision yet. This makes it sound like this is just another box for the time being.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    I love Apple. I hate Time Warner.

I was hoping that there would be some sort of a-la-carte deal going on. That would be significantly different from what's already out there but it doesn't seem like it's happening. Also, I'm not sure what the point is when I already have a cable box.

Not trying to be negative, this is just the way I see it.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    We might see both iWatch and iTV this year!

The iTV might not be a "Smart TV" but a TV that seamlessly link to Apple TV and all iOS devices. Apple TV might get an upgrade with more powerful processors for 3D games!
  • Reply 7 of 43
    jpvnjpvn Posts: 40member
    Apple will eventually have a peace of everything out there and keep growing and growing.. it blows mi mind that people still think they are done... Watch how the get into serch and attack google..
  • Reply 8 of 43

The TV industry is all so massive to try and steer. I guess if Apple can wrangle in a bunch of services and just let you pick stuff that is available to you instantaneously -- that could be amazing. Not sure how feasible.

I'm thinking you get suggestions or search or see what your friend is watching on a home page, and then you can select something. On the back end you may be a paying Time Warner subscriber or a Netflix, Prime, or Hulu subscriber and all it matters to you is that the logo comes up while it's caching to remind you where it comes from. In other words you don't have to go through their individual hub apps/interfaces.

Hulu and Time Warner might warn you about commercial breaks and how many and how long they are...

You could also set reminders as new shows are released to queue them up for you... and this would be a cross-service queue. (good bye Tivo?)

Lots of triple-thick red tape to cut through just to get there. I'd rather have something more sensible, but that seems like a reasonable stop gap until then.

One very cool side effect is that it has potential to breed some heavy competition on content and prices. In other words, New Apple TV users would be seeing the content on equal ground and can start to easily decide on what service they are using the most and what they are using very little. Easier to compare and prune.

Now that I think about it, I hope this happens.

• Reply 9 of 43
    Corey Johnson on Pim Fox's Bloomberg radio show just elaborated that Apple is "working on something really big... Is hiring some top gaming people... And will have something before the year is out".
  • Reply 10 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpvn View Post

Watch how the get into search and attack google..

It will be like Japanese (Google-Spamdroid) attacking Pearl harbor (Apple- iOS) and then Apple launches Nuclear on Google Search!

• Reply 11 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

We might see both iWatch and iTV this year!

The iTV might not be a "Smart TV" but a TV that seamlessly link to Apple TV and all iOS devices. Apple TV might get an upgrade with more powerful processors for 3D games!

In an alternate universe you might see an Apple television, but it isn't named iTV.

• Reply 12 of 43
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    So now all ATV has to add is some kind of recording function and a decent remote and I can cut my TiVo cord.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    cykzcykz Posts: 81member
    Let's get rid of the remote control! And the phone! And the carkey! And the wallet!
    I would love to control TV, incoming calls, car access, public transportation and payments with just a flick on my wrist.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    You can bank on AppleTV getting new guts and improved performance with 802.11ac guaranteed.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    I never liked Time Warner, but maybe they have improved under the new CEO. If I never have to use my cable box with its awful UI, I'll switch in an instant. AT&T U-Verse, I hope you are in on this too or I may be leaving you!
  • Reply 16 of 43
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Already have the TWC app on my Roku 3 and I love it. We have our TV mounted on the wall in our bedroom, and instead of having some ugly cablebox dangling around somewhere to get the full assortment of HD channels (and not just the basic lineup), the app lets us have it all while the Roku is out of sight, stuck to the back of the TV with double sided tape.

• Reply 17 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    So now all ATV has to add is some kind of recording function and a decent remote and I can cut my TiVo cord.

The whole point is everything should be on demand, no need to record. This is 2013 after all.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    You can bank on AppleTV getting new guts and improved performance with 802.11ac guaranteed.

That just occurred to me as I was scoping out the new Time Capsule.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

"but access will likely be for existing cable subscribers only."

Doesn't look like cable cutting to me. You have to be a Time Warner subscriber to get the services? What's the difference between watching on your Apple TV vs watching on your cable box? Shouldn't companies like Apple be trying to deal directly with the content providers like Syfy so I can watch Warehouse 13 on my ATV without having cable or satellite service?

• Reply 20 of 43
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That just occurred to me as I was scoping out the new Time Capsule.

Best friend of mine at Intel relayed his experience with the new Airport Extreme Base Station and how much improved it is compared to the 802.11n model. Well worth the investment.

I'll be buying one and moving the 802.11n upstairs and the Airport Express to the Garage.