iOS ad share continues to grow, accounts for almost two-thirds of market

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2014
Apple's iOS mobile platform continues to make a strong showing in the mobile advertising space, accounting for almost two-thirds of ad impressions despite not having anything near that in terms of installed user base.

yaps

Mobile ad firm Velti just released its most recent look at the mobile ad industry, finding that Apple's iOS platform grew its share of of the market from 59 to 64 percent between May 2012 and May 2013, reports TechCrunch. This was due in large part to the continued success of the iPhone, especially the iPhone 5, which contributed 7.9 percent to Apple's share.

Meanwhile, Google's Android platform saw its share of mobile advertising shrink from 41 to 36 percent over the same period. Apple's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch were the top three devices for mobile ad impressions in Velti's study, while Samsung's Android-based Galaxy S devices were a distant fourth, contributing only 2.7 percent of all impressions.

The report also found that advertisers are interested in moving toward bigger ads across all platforms. On the iPhone in particular, smaller ads decreased in popularity over the past year, while full-screen ad units rose 4.7 percent from last year.

The study also looked at which carriers were hosting the most ad impressions on their networks. AT&T, the original carrier for Apple's iPhone, remained in first place with 46 percent of all mobile impressions, but that figure was down significantly from the 53 percent share it held last May. Verizon, however, saw its share jump more than 10 percent, from 23 to 34 percent, while Sprint saw its share drop from 23 to 19 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I don't know how any company outside of Apple can be credible regarding the effectiveness or growth of Apple's mobile advertising.

• Reply 2 of 42
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iOS mobile platform continues to make a strong showing in the mobile advertising space ...

... hitting Google right where it hurts.  96% of Google's revenue comes from ads.

Never forget that.

Oh, and ironically, Google makes more money from ads on iOS than they do from the entire Android "ecosystem," fragmented weedpatch that it is.

• Reply 3 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Something doesn't add up. How can iAds be #1 when it's only available on iDevices and Android has a billion activations a day?
  • Reply 4 of 42
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Yay users are being bombarded with ads on iOS and clicking on those ads more than Android, take that Google!
  • Reply 5 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    koop wrote: »
    Yay users are being bombarded with ads on iOS and clicking on those ads more than Android, take that Google!

Or more likely iOS users actually use their phones as smartphones and not just phones.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

But, but..... doesn't Google's Android sell billions and billions of 'smart'phones?

• Reply 7 of 42
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    At least a billion Android activations and day and that's all the ad share Android has to show for itself. Apple really needs to build a search engine exclusive to iOS users. A really smart and fast search engine. Put those new data centers to good use. I hope Apple is using the best and fastest servers money can buy. Go directly head on with Google and suck Google's ad revenue dry.

I know Apple has started to use Bing search, but why bother to collaborate with Microsoft. Is it that hard to build a search engine or purchase the algorithms? I'm so pissed that Google's share price is worth more than 2X Apple's share price. That makes no sense at all. Apple is pulling the majority of mobile industry profits and that's all Apple can get in shareholder value? Give Google some competition at least. I don't understand why Wall Street thinks Google is such an unbeatable company. Google is making Apple look like crap as far as value is concerned.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I am glad Apple finally created a web portal (Workbench) for developers to create iAds instead of "email us and we'll call you" approach. I don't remember AI writing a story about it.

• Reply 9 of 42
    iobserveiobserve Posts: 96member
    Check your math... Blackberry, Symbian, and Windows combined had exactly 0%?
    I think those platforms are all trash, but they do exist. These numbers aren't believable or representative unless there is at least an "others" column.

I'd be inclined to believe 2/3rds add impression towards apple is close to truth, but obviously this firm's methods are remarkably flawed.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Something doesn't add up. How can iAds be #1 when it's only available on iDevices and Android has a billion activations a day?

The article says nothing about iAds.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

... hitting Google right where it hurts.  96% of Google's revenue comes from ads.

Never forget that.

Oh, and ironically, Google makes more money from ads on iOS than they do from the entire Android "ecosystem," fragmented weedpatch that it is.

"Weedpatch".  hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahaahahahahaha. 

• Reply 12 of 42
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    I don't know how any company outside of Apple can be credible regarding the effectiveness or growth of Apple's mobile advertising.

This has nothing to do with Apple's mobile advertising, but rather the ads that are seen by iOS users (probably mostly Google ads).

Again, showing that iOS is more frequently used to browse the Internet, you know like an actual smartphone.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    At least a billion Android activations and day and that's all the ad share Android has to show for itself. Apple really needs to build a search engine exclusive to iOS users. A really smart and fast search engine. Put those new data centers to good use. I hope Apple is using the best and fastest servers money can buy. Go directly head on with Google and suck Google's ad revenue dry.

I know Apple has started to use Bing search, but why bother to collaborate with Microsoft. Is it that hard to build a search engine or purchase the algorithms? I'm so pissed that Google's share price is worth more than 2X Apple's share price. That makes no sense at all. Apple is pulling the majority of mobile industry profits and that's all Apple can get in shareholder value? Give Google some competition at least. I don't understand why Wall Street thinks Google is such an unbeatable company. Google is making Apple look like crap as far as value is concerned.

Apple has a "search engine," the fact that so few people understand this simply demonstrates how well the Apple strategy is working.
  • Reply 14 of 42

Share price by itself has nothing to do with "value". It's one part of an equation.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Apple has a "search engine," the fact that so few people understand this simply demonstrates how well the Apple strategy is working.

"Siri, please hurt Google where it counts."

"I'll get right on that."
  • Reply 16 of 42
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "iOS ad share" INCLUDES Google's iOS ads. iAds are but a sub-fraction.

This is more about people using their devices than about Apple making anything off of ads.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    jungmark wrote: »

Yep, and most of the android apps are ad based. Those stats includes all ads?
  • Reply 18 of 42
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Ads on a mobile phone?  I'll pass.  That's why I use an ad blocker.

• Reply 19 of 42
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Yeah, right. Every time we type something in search field in browser we actually send search string to an Apple search engine, masked as Google's and then the Google's search result page is also spoofed, it is actually Apple's. Same with ads, they are actually Apple Ads. Fabulous strategy!

• Reply 20 of 42
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    Blasphemy! This cannot possibly be true. Don't nobody know that Apple is 'dead in the water'?