Apple nears Time Warner deal for Apple TV, hires Hulu VP to aid in future content negotiation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That just occurred to me as I was scoping out the new Time Capsule.

Best friend of mine at Intel relayed his experience with the new Airport Extreme Base Station and how much improved it is compared to the 802.11n model. Well worth the investment.

I'll be buying one and moving the 802.11n upstairs and the Airport Express to the Garage.

The great thing about these Airports is that you can access your LAN on two bandwidths, so all your current hardware will still connect and new devices with .11ac will gain the increased speed. It's a really nice config because we don't have to buy everything new. I like it.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    jpvn wrote: »
    Apple will eventually have a peace of everything out there and keep growing and growing.. it blows mi mind that people still think they are done... Watch how the get into serch and attack google..

It will be like Japanese (Google-Spamdroid) attacking Pearl harbor (Apple- iOS) and then Apple launches Nuclear on Google Search!

Apple has already made a stealth attack on Google Search.

Siri is already redirecting a significant number of search queries on iOS away from Google. Apple's strategy with Siri is unbelievably brilliant. Apple is monetizing a key service while providing a strong value proposition to customers in such a manner that the industry has failed to notice the impact as yet. The impact is coming but will require more time to mature as services are developed and deployed internationally.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Best friend of mine at Intel relayed his experience with the new Airport Extreme Base Station and how much improved it is compared to the 802.11n model. Well worth the investment.

I'll be buying one and moving the 802.11n upstairs and the Airport Express to the Garage.

Even with Macs not able to use 802.11 ac? If so that's good news. We have seven devices plus two Apple TV and was wondering if only the new gear with ac would gain.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jpvn wrote: »
    Watch how the get into serch and attack google..

I don't think they'll ever get into search. Poor Google is using Pagehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PageRank-hi-res.pngRank; simply upping sites that have the most links to. Apple can't fix this, the content on the Internet should all be in a DB, with mandatory fields to fill in to make search work properly. But that is up to the site owners themselves.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    I love Apple. I hate Time Warner.

I was hoping that there would be some sort of a-la-carte deal going on. That would be significantly different from what's already out there but it doesn't seem like it's happening. Also, I'm not sure what the point is when I already have a cable box.

Not trying to be negative, this is just the way I see it.

You could save the cost to rent that box.

Question is how would this be different than the deal TWC has with Roku?
  • Reply 26 of 43
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    I haven't seen much point in using appletv this way until uverse went and upgraded their demand service in my area. It's just downright Painful to use now. I'd much rather work it though appletv. And as someone just pointed out...at $10 /month to rent extra boxes using the Apple TV would pay for itself in no time but not sure it will work as a complete replacement
  • Reply 27 of 43
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Ah, in business, there are no friends or enemies: only alliances of convenience. Looks like Apple has forgiven and forgotten how Hulu dissed it a few years ago....

• Reply 28 of 43
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

The TV industry is all so massive to try and steer. I guess if Apple can wrangle in a bunch of services and just let you pick stuff that is available to you instantaneously -- that could be amazing. Not sure how feasible.

Didn't they say the same thing about the mobile industry before the introduction of the iPhone?

• Reply 29 of 43
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Amazon Prime would be a nice grab.  They have content that Netflix can't touch.  

• Reply 30 of 43
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

I'm down for an Apple TV. Love my Bravia and would love Apple-like elegance and a better ecosystem.

• Reply 31 of 43
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cykz View Post

Let's get rid of the remote control! And the phone! And the carkey! And the wallet!

I would love to control TV, incoming calls, car access, public transportation and payments with just a flick on my wrist.

Unless you're watching skin-emax.

• Reply 32 of 43
    zamfieldzamfield Posts: 1member
    All I want from my apple tv is spotlight to find anything across all the channels it streams
  • Reply 33 of 43
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

I hope it is not restricted to TWC subscribers only since I cannot subscribe to TWC.

It should be served a la carte preferably from iCloud for broader nation wide or global reach.

I would drop my FiOS STB in a heart beat.

This deal reminds me of the Cingular deal for the iPhone.

FiOS and Comcast had better get with the program.

Time will tell.

• Reply 34 of 43

Very true.

• Reply 35 of 43
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    mactel wrote: »

???

Netflix has far more content than Amazon Prime Instant Video. Amazon has some exclusive content but Netflix has exclusive content as well.
  • Reply 36 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Didn't they say the same thing about the mobile industry before the introduction of the iPhone?

Yes, they did. I have hope and expectation that Apple will do something awesome in the TV industry space, just trying to get my head around the first step they'll take. There are significant differences in the industries along with the similarities. A big difference is that the big industries have already seen the transformative power that a device like the iPod and iPhone can bring and everyone is much more cautious of letting someone else hold the reigns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yes, Amazon Prime and Netflix have started to diversify, finally. Amazom Prime Instant Video used to be mostly overlap with Netflix and not much else. I give the edge to Netflix by a wide margin, but Amazom Prime is starting to make itself hard to ignore. Fortunately, I also get a ton of stuff from Amazon so it's an easy choice to keep renewing it.

• Reply 37 of 43
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Hopefully, Apple will be able to get a live feed from a cable company or DSL iptv feed at some point. Those apps are nice, but getting live HD feeds into iOS would be better. What we need to see is an iOS cable app that can connect to there live feeds, not something that streams over the net.

For people hoping to get channels directtly from Apple, forget it, owners will never allow this.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I don't think they'll ever get into search. Poor Google is using Pagehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PageRank-hi-res.pngRank; simply upping sites that have the most links to. Apple can't fix this, the content on the Internet should all be in a DB, with mandatory fields to fill in to make search work properly. But that is up to the site owners themselves.

Hmm. That could be an interesting idea, you mean like FMLS system for real estate listings ? They have very strict requirements on what can be filled out so that their listings are searchable. If you put a name in the wrong field, such as the number of bedrooms in the square footage field they can issue some kind of fine I think. Different from state MLS services which are a database salad. I'd like to see an FMLS-type standards idea explored...
  • Reply 39 of 43
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    herbapou wrote: »
    For people hoping to get channels directtly from Apple, forget it, owners will never allow this.

Never say never, matey.
    Sky here in NZ just lost their bid for live EPL matches next season to (gasp) an Internet company !
    Things are a changing and quickly.
    http://www.premierleaguepass.com/
    http://tvnz.co.nz/football-news/sky-viewers-threaten-boycott-over-loss-epl-5469219

Our small market is not something Apple would consider at this stage to launch with but Coliseum also have the rights to live EPL for Indonesia, # 4 pop'n, 280 odd million. Bundled through Apple TV and you've got a legitimate offering.
    Something to consider for future
  • Reply 40 of 43
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Hopefully, Apple will be able to get a live feed from a cable company or DSL iptv feed at some point. Those apps are nice, but getting live HD feeds into iOS would be better. What we need to see is an iOS cable app that can connect to there live feeds, not something that streams over the net.

People use to say the same thing about phone companies.  "They'll never give application control to a device maker"

Until Cingular trusted Apple...

The rest is history.

If TWC does it, the others will follow or lose their customers.