Samsung Galaxy S4 reaches shipments of 20 million - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Samsung's latest flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S4, has seen the strongest start of any handset in the company's history, with shipments reportedly reaching 20 million units in two months.

Samsung

The number was reported on Wednesday by Korea's Yonhap News, which said the 20 million milestone was reached by the end of June. That's just a few months after the April 26 launch of the Galaxy S4, and is at a pace about 1.7 times faster than the previous-generation Galaxy S III.

In comparison, sales of the iPhone 5 exceeded 5 million in the device's first weekend. The company does not break down sales by specific iPhone model, but Apple did see record iPhone shipments of 47.8 million units in the holiday 2012 quarter.

Samsung first announced in May that it had shipped 10 million Galaxy S4 units in its first 28 days of availability. However, concerns quickly grew among investors that Galaxy S4 sales could disappoint after a record start.

While the Galaxy S4 is still on a record setting pace according to the latest reports, demand has unsurprisingly cooled significantly since the device launched. Apple has seen the same trends, with iPhone sales booming around the launch of a new model.

For example, holiday iPhone sales following the launch of the iPhone 5 saw year over year growth of nearly 11 million additional units. But in the subsequent March 2013 quarter, iPhone sales were up by 2.3 million units year over year, to 37.4 million.

Apple is expected to launch a next-generation iPhone, referred to the media as an "iPhone 5S," in the coming months, around a year after the September 2012 launch of the iPhone 5. It's also widely expected that the company will introduce a new low-cost iPhone with a plastic back and an array of new colors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

but, but its unit "ship", not sold right?

• Reply 2 of 104
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I can ship 20 million units of rubber dogshit. TODAY.

Impressed?

:smokey:
  • Reply 3 of 104
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Impressed?

Indeed. But if the pile is not actually sold, you'll have to write it down sooner or later. Have we seen Samsung report any write-downs yet?

• Reply 4 of 104
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Apple is doomed!!!!

Why is this on AppleInsider in the first place? Last I looked this was called AppleInsider, not SamsungInsider. 

Just because you mention the iPhone in the last paragraph, doesn't make it Mac news worthy. 

• Reply 5 of 104
    Samsuck shipped 20 millions but over half of them are in shelves with dust.
  • Reply 6 of 104
    ayani1ayani1 Posts: 2member
    Article such as this in an Apple blog smacks so much of insecurity. I sometimes read Android Authority and it's rare when they write something about Apple.

Every article Appleinsider publishes about Samsung strengthens my thinking that Apple is now a follower and Samsung the leader.
  • Reply 7 of 104
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Apple is doomed!!!!

Why is this on AppleInsider in the first place? Last I looked this was called AppleInsider, not SamsungInsider. 

So people on the forum can argue about shipped versus sold numbers.  It makes people keep coming back to the site to argue their point.

I swear the biggest trolls on the AppleInsider forums are the editors at AppleInsider.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayani1 View Post

Article such as this in an Apple blog smacks so much of insecurity. I sometimes read Android Authority and it's rare when they write something about Apple.

It's AppleInsider.  I go to Mac Rumors and Cult of Mac as well and they rarely discuss things outside of Apple.  When they do, it seems far more relevant.

• Reply 8 of 104

SamsungInsider

• Reply 9 of 104
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

In other words, as long as it's bad news for Samsung complete with a dash of Samsung bashing, it's fine on AI. But if it's good news for Samsung, "GET THAT S**T OFF THIS SITE, WE DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT SAMSUNG!"

• Reply 10 of 104
    stike vomitstike vomit Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Impressed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Indeed. But if the pile is not actually sold, you'll have to write it down sooner or later. Have we seen Samsung report any write-downs yet?

If Quadra 610 stuck an Apple logo on them they'd probably sell well enough.

G44

• Reply 11 of 104
    shipped and left untouched in warehouses waiting for deep discounts.
  • Reply 12 of 104
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

C'mon. We all see this before. Big number when they want to hype something then the number for a full quarter didn't match those initial spectacular numbers. Or are you easily fooled by Samsung?

• Reply 13 of 104
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayani1 View Post

Every article Appleinsider publishes about Samsung strengthens my thinking that Apple is now a follower and Samsung the leader.

So because Appleinsider decides to post an article about Samsung that somehow effects your perception of Apple? That seems quite odd considering Apple has nothing to do with Appleinsider

• Reply 14 of 104
    rsdofnyrsdofny Posts: 98member

Verizon is running a promotion on Galaxy S4 for $125...Launched in May, and discounted in July.  There is really pent-up demand.

• Reply 15 of 104
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

Samsung phones are available in a lot more physical stores than iPhones, at least from what I see, and I tend to think this is the case in many other parts of the world too, so it means they do have a wider exposure to the public, it also means if each seller stocks a few, it adds up to a lot. Is that the same at your location, way more Samsung sellers than Apple? While on the Apple side, recently some anti-competitive accusations were thrown at Apple in France because Apple favor their own stores more for stock, which I do (maybe) naively think its because there isn't enough stock to go around, otherwise hold back at all.

But I think its safe to say that companies like LG, Sony, Blackberry aren't shipping 20 million phones, because the potential to actually sell that many isn't there, not to say those are not good phones or whatever.

• Reply 16 of 104
    krausebekrausebe Posts: 1member
    If Samsung would sell the Galaxy S4 so proper, why they give you a Galaxy S4 for no money if you buy a LED TV, at least in Germany. Looks like they need to push shipments, regardless of the money they will loose. But don't blame Samsung they did and do what they can do best copy successful ideas and products. Or with the words of a chinese guy: We found it worth to be copied.
  • Reply 17 of 104
    blowbotblowbot Posts: 9member

I was just in Singapore and lots of people have them, apparently the video experience is superior to the iPhone.

• Reply 18 of 104
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blowbot View Post

I was just in Singapore and lots of people have them, apparently the video experience is superior to the iPhone.

that tells that you like the artificial flavors/colors.

All the colors on the Samsung screen are not true. Wake up.

Video is not all about HD and/or screen size.

How a person can like a Samsung phone?  What is happenning to the world?

• Reply 19 of 104
    superjunaidsuperjunaid Posts: 104member

Seriously, this is apple insider. I come here to read about Apple not its competitors. I agree with everyone commenting on this article about skipping samsung and other competitor news. I mean why do you have to indulge into this crap?! Is it a slow news day?

You can talk a ton of cool stuff of what apple is doing, how you can set a Panorama image as a wallpaper on the lock-screen and the homescreen and have that wallpaper scroll based on the position of the phone, completely controlled by the accelerometer.

And how apple has implemented physics based UI, so if you're on the lock-screen and drag the camera icon up half way and then sling it down, i'll bounce all the way back up as if it was a basketball.

There's so many things you can talk about and write articles that talk about the genius behind what Apple does.

Apple's Tim Cook said himself on AllThingsD or D11 that Apple doesn't care to be the largest by market share, the sincerely care about a great customer experience  of their products. Apple is of the mentality of Quality over Quantity.

Please I beg you, bring some fresh material to this site.

• Reply 20 of 104
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

that tells that you like the artificial flavors/colors.

All the colors on the Samsung screen are not true. Wake up.

F-A-L-S-E.  Color accuracy is the same between the S4 and iphone 5. This is an old perception of OLED screens

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

If Apple move to IGZO and combined with the new iOS7 white background look, Samsung wont be able to replicated the new UI look. Look at the Display Power Consumption table. The S4 OLED will drain its battery with a white background UI. The iphone 5 would still be good and IGZO screens would rock with that kind of UI. Android wont be able to copy iOS7 look and feel without destroying there smartphone battery life.

imo the bigger battery on the low cost iphone is to manage good battery life with iOS7 on a regular LED/LCD display, which can be mass produce at a low cost.