Apple rolls out iWork for iCloud beta, brings productivity suite to the Web [u]

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday began rolling out iWork for iCloud in beta form to existing users, bringing the suite of productivity software online to a wider audience, including some non-developers.

Update: It appears that Apple is expanding beta invites to free tier developers, previous reports of public access were likely erroneous as the company has confirmed to The Next Web that non-developers cannot sign in to the suite.

iWork for iCloud

The company sent out emails to registered developers, inviting them to try out the latest version of the Web-based service, though AppleInsider has received unverified reports that non-developers are also allowed to sign in to beta.icloud.com so long as they have an active Apple ID.

Developers have had access to the beta since Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, where iWork for iCloud was first announced.

As previously outlined in June, iWork for iCloud offers access to Pages, Numbers and Keynote in an experience optimized for Web browsers. The service is compatible with Safari, Chrome or Internet Explorer.

A quick run through of the service shows all of the promised features to be intact, including Microsoft Word document imports.

Apple's iWork for iCloud is still missing some major features that competitors like Google Docs have long provided to users, such as dynamic collaboration tools, but overall the suite is one of the more robust Web productivity suites available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Played around with Pages and Keynote. Seems fairly stable and fast... a lot of features still need to be added, even got a dialog saying that the Keynote document was created on a Mac and the current iCloud beta didn't support them. Asked if I wanted to open a copy or open original. Nice.

Can't wait to see the finished apps though... they look really good so far.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    I'm confused. I thought Pages already synced with all devices, and Mac. Just read the beta link but as I am already on iCloud, didn't go further.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Played around with Pages and Keynote. Seems fairly stable and fast... a lot of features still need to be added, even got a dialog saying that the Keynote document was created on a Mac and the current iCloud beta didn't support them. Asked if I wanted to open a copy or open original. Nice.

Can't wait to see the finished apps though... they look really good so far.

Have they added slide animations or builds?

I can't find them :(

• Reply 4 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Yes... Click on a slide on the left... the tool pane on the right changes to "Slide Transition"

By the way, press escape to get out of play mode.

• Reply 5 of 48
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

I'm confused. I thought Pages already synced with all devices, and Mac. Just read the beta link but as I am already on iCloud, didn't go further.

The big deal here isn't iCloud.  It's that you can now use the iWork apps via the browser on all platforms (and have documents sync via iCloud as usual).  Which, once all the features are in, makes iWork a viable alternative to MS Office in mixed platform environments.

• Reply 6 of 48
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    No joy here at work using Win7 and ie 8. All iCloud apps reporting errors before they can open.
  • Reply 7 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

No joy here at work using Win7 and ie 8. All iCloud apps reporting errors before they can open.

I'm guessing you'll need a recent version of Chrome or Firefox on Windows.  IE tends to lag far behind in supporting newer web technologies.

• Reply 8 of 48
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I believe (once beta is over) that they intend to support Safari, Chrome (probably just about any webkit browser?) and Internet Explorer.

Looks like I can use ALL the online apps, even ones I never bought. Very nice free bonus! (But I wonder if they'll stay free after beta or not.)
  • Reply 9 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I believe (once beta is over) that they intend to support Safari, Chrome (probably just about any webkit browser?) and Internet Explorer.

Back to what version of IE though?  Doubtful they'd support back to IE 8 unless they're masochistic.

• Reply 10 of 48
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Builds are not present, even on existing docs in iCloud. Nor is video playback (I have a presentation with some builds and an embedded video I tested)

This is, IMO, a better implementation than google docs or Office 365 on the web. Very fast.

For those who have access, had you previously used the iWork.com beta a couple years back? I had a few docs I had shared about 18 months ago. Just wondering if that is who they allowed as non-developers?

• Reply 11 of 48
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    auxio wrote: »
    Back to what version of IE though?  Doubtful they'd support back to IE 8 unless they're masochistic.
    If a browser supports WebKit it works, otherwise it never will.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    kevinnealkevinneal Posts: 66member
    non developers who are beta testers on OSX are able to get on the iCloud beta
  • Reply 13 of 48
    I tried to sign up, but got the message that is was for Devs only. I did do the iwork.com beta previously, so that's not it. Either they turned it on by accident and turned it back off, or they are rolling it out in some fashion.
  • Reply 14 of 48

When this is ready for public use, Uncle Fester's cash cow will be slaughtered. 

Yes, I know, I know, MS Office does a lot more than iWorks, but if iWorks does most of what people use Office for, then it's good enough to replace 80% to 90% of Office installations. The big "PLUS" being that one doesn't have to use the buggy damn MS product!

• Reply 15 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If a browser supports WebKit it works, otherwise it never will.

Not to be a dick or anything, but it's really not that difficult to do a little research.

Apple's iWork for iCloud page specifically states which browsers are currently compatible with the beta;

Safari 6.0.3

Chrome 27.0.1

Internet Explorer 9.0.8

...it also says, "Support for additional browsers" will be coming soon.

• Reply 16 of 48
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    Has anyone tested the MS Office comparability yet? I have heard that previous versions of iWork were hit and miss formatting-wise.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    pridonpridon Posts: 81member

Tried it with my regular icloud account.  Pulled in my existing Pages documents. Dragged and dropped in a Word doc from my office Win XP desktop.  Opened with all formatting in place.  Will be a big selling point fro next gen iPad and Iphone if offered as a freebie. For 90% of MS Word users, this app would would be as useful as Office 360. MS cash flow gusher is at risk from this and Google docs and Open Offcie IMO. MSFT relies on the office cash cow.  Ever since Office 2007 (PC), I have found it to be a pain to use.

• Reply 18 of 48
    pridonpridon Posts: 81member

I was already signed into my iCloud account.  Then when I opened beta.icloud.com, the desktop just showed up with the iWork apps icon.  Cliecked onpages and there are all my existing docs.  Doing it with Chrome on a Win XP PC.

• Reply 19 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Has anyone tested the MS Office comparability yet? I have heard that previous versions of iWork were hit and miss formatting-wise.

All office apps are hit or miss when it comes to Office for Windows compatibility (Even Office for Mac). Microsoft purposely made their court mandated Open Office Document Format overly complex and able to contain "binary" data that may or may not be proprietary. This is their way of being "open", but still keep users tied to Windows.

• Reply 20 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pridon View Post

...Will be a big selling point fro next gen iPad and Iphone if offered as a freebie...

iOS devices cannot access the iCloud web pages (other than system status page). Users are directed to download and install the native apps.