Security flaw opens all modern Android devices to "zombie botnet" takeover [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 276
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Slightly off topic does how does Google even make any money off Android?  It can't be a significant portion of their revenue.

Mostly ads, but they also get a cut of Play store sales as well as having Google Books, Google Music, Google Movies & TV, and Google Magazines.

Oh yeah, and don't forget Google Glass!  image  (I hate Google Glass and hope it flops)

• Reply 82 of 276
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkop View Post

I'm shocked at the amount of misinformation going around here. I know this is an Apple blog, but please - do some Android research.

1. This does not affect any app in Google Play. Google has already blocked every application that uses this loophole, including updates, per the article.

2. This only applies to side-loaded applications. Which have always been a security risk. Google warns you to the effect when you enable them; which is why I download Avast! if I sideload any applications.

3. Updates are perfectly safe, if you use good developers. And I seriously doubt that any reputable company can simply get "infected" with malware without someone noticing almost instantly. Even IF you don't use major developers all the time, Google catches these things pretty fast - check around the blogosphere historically and you'll see what I mean.

4. Sideloading apps IS important for some, like me. I.e. a game, Plants vs Zombie (botnets), doesn't work on my Nexus 10. But it works on my Galaxy Nexus. So I found the APK online, scanned it, and installed it manually - now it works like a charm!

5. @GTR, nice joke - xD but Samsung has 'sold' 20 million Galaxy S4s, apparently. Which is quite a lot, even by Apple's standards.

6. Finally, none of this really matters anyway, because even if Google HADN'T blocked these applications, it would have to be by an app developer deliberately trying to infect you. All the standard apps - Falcon Pro, Gmail, Instagram, Facebook, Google+, and yes - Plants Vs Zombies - are safe.

So, this is Google's official response?  I thought they didn't have a response yet.

Side loaded applications?   What's that?  

From what it sounds like based on your method of explaining things, the Android platform is meant for geeks willing to put more effort into dealing with their platform.  Enjoy wasting so much of your precious time using a freaking smartphone.  Do you know how much extra time I have to worry about iOS?  Almost none. You?  Every time you turn around, there is another security problem after another.

As Jerry Seinfeld would say......   "   Yikes,  Good Luck with ALL that".....

• Reply 83 of 276
    walkopwalkop Posts: 12member
    @AaronJ Okay, I apologize for that. I'm tired, wanting to go to sleep, haha; and I wasn't being facetious when I said nice joke, that was actually quite clever :p.

Regardless, you must admit 20 million shipments is impressive. The iPhone 5 had 27 million in Q4 2012. http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5_and_4s_tops_global_smartphone_shipments_for_q4_2012_-news-5575.php

All I'm trying to say is that you cannot simply discount Android as a garbage, malware-ridden platform because it simply isn't. I know from the personal experience of myself and many, many others whether they are tech-savvy or not. It wasn't great pre-ICS, I'll admit, but it's gotten MUCH better lately.

The ecosystem is mature, the apps are great, and overall everything melds together perfectly.

I will definitely debate the fact that Android users don't use their phones, though. I simply don't understand those statistics. Browser use makes sense, since intents let you share any information directly from one app to another without a browser. You can upload any picture to any cloud storage application without using the browser, for example. You can also imitate using a desktop browser with the stock Android browser or any third-party browser, which will not show up in those statistics as "Android". It's a simple option shown in the base level overflow menu for Chrome, and shows up frequently in those third-party browsers. Dolphin, for instance, is one of the most popular and has been downloaded millions of times.

Sorry if I offended you previously!
  • Reply 84 of 276
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

So, this is Google's official response?  I thought they didn't have a response yet.

From what it sounds like based on your method of explaining things, the Android platform is meant for geeks willing to put more effort into dealing with their platform.  Enjoy wasting so much of your precious time using a freaking smartphone.  Do you know how much extra time I have to worry about iOS?  Almost none. You?  Every time you turn around, there is another security problem after another.

This isn't response worthy. This is not some zero day exploit where everyone is in danger of being infected. He's explaining to you the facts, something that people can't seem to grasp. 

Side loading applications means to install an application outside a dedicated app store like Google Play, Amazon Marketplace. The fact you're asking this makes me wonder why you're in this thread to begin with. Other than to gloat about a phone you do own while clearly demonstrating you know little about the competitor's services. Because you're clearly not reading anything we're saying.

Your last paragraph is just absurd. Your gums are clearly flapping here but there's nothing comprehensible being emitted from it. Take the time to listen to people who are explaining things they are knowledgeable about. Most of the people explaining android functions in here aren't even talking down or being rude, and the bristling reaction by some of you is comical. 

• Reply 85 of 276
    Quote:

Edit: @Koop Thank you very much for your defence. I'm just trying to explain the Android point of view as best I can without being biased. Still, I don't want to step on toes.

Don't twist my words.

I'm explaining things in tech-terms because that's the shortest way to do so. Android is very simple if you let it be. I just LIKE to tweak things, even though I don't root or ROM my devices (I don't see the need, with Nexus). If you like, you don't even need to touch your home screens. Apps add themselves as you install them, just like iOS. Reordering icons, widgets (please don't comment saying widgets are complicated. They're not. Just drag-and-drop.), etc. are all auto-moving, things move to allow new icons as you drag, all that good stuff.

I won't go into more detail since it's late. :p
  • Reply 86 of 276

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Slightly off topic does how does Google even make any money off Android?  It can't be a significant portion of their revenue.

As it's been said, Google makes money indirectly from Android. There are many ways they grow the company via mobile. Mobile advertisements are one reason. They make some money from Apps and Media services. But ultimately they want to further tie you into their ecosystem which involves web browser services as well as mobile. 

They really ticked off Apple though, which has had blowback. I personally hold the belief that both companies are making each other's product's better. I'm curious where the iPhone would be today without Android's competition. 

• Reply 87 of 276
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member

iOS users, let's have a schadenfreude dance party!!!!

• Reply 88 of 276

Quote:

Don't twist my words.I'm explaining things in tech-terms because that's the shortest way to do so. Android is very simple if you let it be. I just LIKE to tweak things, even though I don't root or ROM my devices (I don't see the need, with Nexus). If you like, you don't even need to touch your home screens. Apps add themselves as you install them, just like iOS. Reordering icons, widgets (please don't comment saying widgets are complicated. They're not. Just drag-and-drop.), etc. are all auto-moving, things move to allow new icons as you drag, all that good stuff. I won't go into more detail since it's late. :p

I'll never understand the need for widgets. They're so boring and it really isn't that hard to dig into an app you need like weather to get better information quickly. Back when I had an android phone I always trashed them ASAP. Not my thing, Which is why I didn't complain when Apple skipped them for iOS7. 

• Reply 89 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by koop View Post

I'll never understand the need for widgets. They're so boring and it really isn't that hard to dig into an app you need like weather to get better information quickly. Back when I had an android phone I always trashed them ASAP. Not my thing, Which is why I didn't complain when Apple skipped them for iOS7. 

I don't use them extensively either —but its nice to have the option. I like to have my email on there, and perhaps a flashlight link on my phone. That way i can turn it on without opening the app. Google Now is nice to have as well.

I DO really like the idea of having a flashlight in the Quick Settings, like the iOS 7 Control Centre.

Edit: GAH, the text editor breaks line spacing on my Nexus 10. Sorry about that. IT'S A TRAP AGAINST ANDROID DEVICES!!! /s

Anyway, as for competition; yeah, that's a very interesting topic. Without iOS, where would Android be? Without Android, where would iOS be? They feed off each others' success, which is EXACTLY the way it should be and is fantastic.
  • Reply 90 of 276
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by koop View Post

I don't get widgets either.  I'm sure some people love them, but they don't make sense to me.

• Reply 91 of 276

Quote:

Originally Posted by avium View Post

Is Google Play the only app store for Android?

No, it's just one of the most commonly used.  It's that and Amazon mostly.  There are other smaller sites, but those are the two main big ones.

• Reply 92 of 276

Quote:

No, it's just one of the most commonly used.  It's that and Amazon mostly.  There are other smaller sites, but those are the two main big ones.

Is there a significant difference between GP and Amazon?  Or is it mostly overlap?

• Reply 93 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Is there a significant difference between GP and Amazon?  Or is it mostly overlap?

Amazon has an app they make free for a day every day! :D Except that's only in the states... not Canada. BAH! D:
  • Reply 94 of 276

Quote:

Amazon has an app they make free for a day every day! :D Except that's only in the states... not Canada. BAH! D:

Well, it's difficult to argue with free. :)

• Reply 95 of 276

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Well, it's difficult to argue with free. :)

Exactly, haha! :D I would already have had it a long time ago, but alas I'm in poor under-appreciated Canada. *sigh*. They even made some popular games free! Angry Birds, ad-free edition, Plants Vs Zombies (I keep bringing that up, don't I?), and many others.

Now I'm depressed again.

• Reply 96 of 276
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    Google made software that's insecure. Device makers put that software on their devices. Telcos rolled out the devices with out easy updates. The media won't know whom to blame
  • Reply 97 of 276

Quote:

Exactly, haha! :D I would already have had it a long time ago, but alas I'm in poor under-appreciated Canada. *sigh*. They even made some popular games free! Angry Birds, ad-free edition, Plants Vs Zombies (I keep bringing that up, don't I?), and many others.

Now I'm depressed again.

Eh, don't worry.  That 10-month long winter will be here soon enough!

:)

(PS: I live within sight of Canada, and have spent a lot of time there.)

• Reply 98 of 276
    sofabuttsofabutt Posts: 99member

By modern, of course you mean all...

• Reply 99 of 276
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Google made software that's insecure. Device makers put that software on their devices. Telcos rolled out the devices with out easy updates. The media won't know whom to blame

They made an app SCANNER that had one insecurity, which has already been patched in Google Play. Which is totally modular and system independent —a lot of people don't get that part. There are basically no "system" apps; Google has been steadily removing them the past few months. The gallery, keyboard, gmail app, and even the Play Store itself update independently of the OS (at least, the gallery will very likely be modular around the same time as the Android 4.3 release). Anyway, just check app permissions before you update if you're really worried. :p

As for the weather comment: Eh! I see what you did there...! :)

But yes, the weather here has been really whacky as of late. Sloppy AND cold winters, but hot, late summers. I dunno if it's global warming or what.
  • Reply 100 of 276

Quote:

I don't use them extensively either —but its nice to have the option. I like to have my email on there, and perhaps a flashlight link on my phone. That way i can turn it on without opening the app. Google Now is nice to have as well.I DO really like the idea of having a flashlight in the Quick Settings, like the iOS 7 Control Centre. Edit: GAH, the text editor breaks line spacing on my Nexus 10. Sorry about that. IT'S A TRAP AGAINST ANDROID DEVICES!!! /sAnyway, as for competition; yeah, that's a very interesting topic. Without iOS, where would Android be? Without Android, where would iOS be? They feed off each others' success, which is EXACTLY the way it should be and is fantastic.

A widget is an app, just one that is running all of the time and requiring resources.   Apple just built in the flashlight into the OS because it's a simple piece of code that doesn't require an app or widget.