Airbook antenna signal

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What signal does the antenna in an airbook give off after the Bluetooth/airport card is taken out? And is left with the two prongs unconnected?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Should be none.
    If you go to the Apple>About this Mac>Show more info you'll see the full machine bits and pieces.
    If you select hardware then click on Bluetooth or wifi section you'll see all the hardware associated with those connections - you should get a pane that reports something like "no device"
    Therefore the antenna will be inactive.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Wonderful, thank you. ...I understand that the software registers it as inactive, but was curious as to if this was actually the case. ...has anyone put a spectrum analyzer to it? Just trying to understand more thoroughly what signals the laptop gives off without airport and Bluetooth . I know they are there to amplify these signals to a greater distance , but what about the antenna alone and close proximity ? Thanks Rob
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Well, the cards send power to the antenna - this allows the antenna to switch or more correctly to receive or send whatever signal is required to the cards. But without the cards - the antenna is essentially a dumb device, no worky. No power, no signal nada.

To measure it objectively - You would have to negate any transmitting source that may be in proximity, wifi, Bluetooth devices, mobile phones, portable phones, radio anything, monitors, tvs - any electrical device really
    lol, bloody hard to do these days,
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Rob, thank you. One more question. What device would best prevent any chance of hacking an apple airbook? Signal blocker, white noise generator etc.? Are there any foolproof measures? And where can i find such devices. Thank you again for your technical expertise .
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lol. matey - just an old hacker here from way back !
    You'll have to get some specific input from someone who actually knows what they're talking about from this point.

My suggestion from here - Area 51 at Roswell. The lead lined chamber ...
    cheers, r
  • Reply 6 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    What device would best prevent any chance of hacking an apple airbook?

Faraday cage and not letting anyone have physical access to the device, ever. The latter's usually enough.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Thank you Rob and skil. ...am looking into a room at Roswell. And would like a faraday cage that fits my laptop while using it. Couldn't find one. Don't know if they exist. But besides those wonderful suggestions, do you happen to know the frequency range that an apple airbook gives off?
    Thanks,
    Alan