Instagram update brings landscape image capture support, Cinema for front-facing camera

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Instagram on Friday rolled out an update bringing two feature additions and various bug fixes, including support for photo and video taking while an iPhone is in landscape view.

Instagram

While not a major version change, Instagram 4.0.2 now rotates the viewfinder when a user switches to landscape mode, a feature that has been absent since the app was first released in 2010.

The added support works with both photos and the newly released video function, which lets users share 15-second clips through the service.

Those using the video feature, dubbed "Cinema," can now capture clips with the front-facing camera. The app's software-based image stabilization is also applied to videos taken with the FaceTime lenser.

Finally, the latest version includes various bug fixes and performance improvements.

Instagram is available as a free 14.5MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    doctorgonzodoctorgonzo Posts: 529member
    I would love it if they would add a landscape keyboard. It's a simple change that would make the app so much better.

Then again, Facebook owns it now, and they removed the landscape keyboard from their own app.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I would love it if they would add a landscape keyboard. It's a simple change that would make the app so much better.

Then again, Facebook owns it now, and they removed the landscape keyboard from their own app.

They removed that? I don't use FB, and wish Samsung would buy them. Then I'd only have to complain on weird actions like this from a single company. And Samsung would have a 'service' next to their hardware business.

Also, I don't like all these mocked-up pictures. Photography is a hobby of mine, I use Aperture but don't do much mocking up. Sometimes a little dodge and burn, like we used to in the analogue days. But mainly cropping and putting the horizon back where it belongs. But Instagram I will never get, even before FB bought them.