Mac OS 9 and new iBook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I received the Mac OS X Jaguar / OS 9 bundle free by being a teacher. I bought one of the new 800 MHz iBooks a few months ago and decided I want to install OS 9 back on it.

What's the problem? The OS 9 installer won't let me install it on my computer. Anyone know how to get by this?

Now to post my other problem in another topic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    can you be more specific with this one? (can it even see the drive referring to your other thread?)
  • Reply 2 of 24
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    [Here we go again]: newer hardware requires newer BOOT ROM to be present on any system that wishes to be booted off. Meaning: the OS 9 you have from before the newest ibooks were released (right, no?) will boot all (or at least most) G3 and G4s (and maybe even older machines) released before the release of that particular system you have, but not newer ones. If you bought a new iBook, there should be an installable OS 9 on one of the software restore cds. Is this clear? Hope it works out for you.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Referring to if it can see the drive, yes, because this is my iBook, not my powermac.

Referring to the restore cd's, I didn't know that it would have it's own installer and all...I will get into that now and let you know if that works.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    And no, the restore cd's don't have an os 9 installer on them...it will just redo your whole system the way it was when I got it...I don't want that. I want my damn OS 9 CD that I got around the same time as the iBook to work!

Why would they limit an OS install cd like this?
  • Reply 5 of 24
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    There must be a CD with only the OS 9 installer on it.

I have here, in my hands a case with all CDs in it in which my brothers iBook shipped. It contains:

? Apple Hardware Test

? iMovie 2

? iBook (Applications)

? iBook (Installation)

? iBook (Restore)

the installation disk has a mac os symbol on it, the restore one with a human holding a CD. you want the first one.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    I have here in my hands

Mac OS X Install Disc 1 + 2

Apple Restore Discs 1 - 3

If I launch Apple Restore it wants to format my drive and redo the entire system...neither 1 - 3 have actual OS installers on them and I can't boot off of them.

I can't do that. I have three partitions...OS 9 is to go on one of them. Maybe your brothers iBook is older can came with different things, but there is NO OS 9 stand alone installer that came with my iBook.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Because (and mind you, this is not my opinion, I am not saying that this is good or bad) Apple considers OS 9 to be a dead system. They do not want people using it anymore, and will, if possible at all, prevent them from using it. They want migration to OS X. They want to bundle their forces on the one and only new system. That is (or might be) the reason.

I can understand that this is a pain in the ass. I've wondered why the various new ibooks I've come across don't have a proper OS 9 installer. So I'm double sorry this panned out so badly for you.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    My iBook 700 from late July came with OS 9 CDs, but that was pre-Jaguar days. I could imagine Apple no longer offering OS 9 for newer computers. You should call their support (or e-mail them, or go to an Apple Store) and ask them for a ROM file for your new iBook, and if they don't have any, you should demand the money for the OS 9 box back as it's useless unless Apple decides to make them work through Classic in 10.3.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    That's what I figured. Either install it the way we wanted you to install it or forget it. It's not that big of deal I just wanted to triple boot with X, 9, and YDL...I wonder if I can just dual boot YDL and X without 9. I'll look into that.

Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone...now I am off to macmedia to get my powermac looked at. I think the IDE controller failed.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    hey jay, are you sure that these CDs are the only ones ?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    I am positive. I opened the case for the first time the other night...all there is is the normal hardware cd, mac os x install cd's, and restore cd's with a encyclopedia cd. No single os 9 installer unless you software restore your whole machine.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    I just got an idea...

What if I do this when my Powermac is back up and running...is there anyway I could boot my powermac off the OS 9 CD and have locate the drive on my iBook via firewire or ethernet?
  • Reply 13 of 24
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    read my post in your PowerMac thread, let me know if that works.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    post-Jaguar macs didn't come with an OS 9 Install CD...

you have to call Apple and ask. they'll send you one with the relevant ROM (OS 9 install discs that predate your iBook won't recognize it). problem solved.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Well then...tomorrow I call apple.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    We have a similar situation with our flat panel iMac. No OS 9 installer CD. However, looking at the restore CDs we found that running the restore program gives us the option to just install OS 9. The only thing we missed from the installer was the option for a Japanese language kit. We found by callling Apple that this is available as an option in the Apple Extras folder after you install OS 9.

Your restore CD may be different. Our's gave us the option of which items to restore.

Basically, this worked well.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    If this works I am going to smack myself in the face I promise...

oh, and my G4 got fixed today....the hard drive failed...yay. What's weird is I had a seagate baracuda in the G4 and they put in an IBM Deskstar. I don't know which is better.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    jaskejaske Posts: 73member
    You merely need to install 9 via the 1st Software CD. Just insert the cd, and it will install a small program that will lead you through the process of installing various applications, the developer tools, or OS 9. Post, if you need further help . . .

and, der Kopf . . . did it ever occur to you that some folks may not posses your knowledge about macs (meaning, they may have a life after all, and thus, they do not spend countless hours visiting mac-devoted websites, memorizing training manuals, masturbating to pictures of favorite hardware, etc.) . . .

your posts were unhelpful and petty. Seriously, make Appleinsider a better place. Respond with kindness and trust, believing the poster is NOT a troll.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    I called Apple support awhile ago asking them how I can install classic onto my iBook 700 (I didn't install OS 9 when I installed the full version of 10.2 on my computer). They told me to boot with the OS 9 Install CD I had and install from there. For some reason though, the OS 9 install would not allow me to install OS 9 without formatting my drive. The apple tech support guy told me I had no other choice but to format my hard drive to get classic working. My point is even though I had the OS 9 install disc, I doubt you can install OS 9 or classic onto your iBook now. Hope this helps.

P.S.- if you can install OS 9 and classic on Jaguar without formating the drive, Post back to me the steps of how to do this.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    man, that jaske is a dick....

anyway, OSX won't even let you reinstall any "older" OS, meaning if something goes wrong, you can't even go back to OS X.1 and the upgrade to Jaguar (since my pb came with OSX.1 installed and the UPGRADE, not INSTALL disc seperate).

Anyway, you should have classic right? You should be able to install into classic and run whatever you want there? Have you tried this?