Using Google Glass: A series of awkward encounters

Comments

• Reply 21 of 235
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    basically, GG is a combo bluetooth earpiece plus small handsfree display plus headcam. and very easy to operate - the integrated UI is its real innovation. you still need to be packing a smartphone too.

but you know, who really needs a headcam all the time? or any of the time (ok, once in a while to document/share something in particular that requires using your hands - like cooking with a certain recipe)? and how many of the rest of us want to have anyone stick their camera in our face like that? (i sure don't - if you want to talk with me, take it off first. and don't even think about walking into my office/home with it on).

of course it is fairly common now to see techie guys walking down the street with their bluetooth earpiece on, talking away to whoever, in their own private world. but it's their privacy that is being compromised then. and sometimes women talking into the mic on their earbud cord. but it is so normal now to see people with earbuds/cords on anyway.

so i can see a real mass market for a GG - without the camera. then it's just a much superior version of a bluetooth earpiece, now with a display too. that smartphone you still will need that's in your pocket will always be a much better camera to use in almost every way for when you want one.

there will still be the distraction effect - people momentarily shifting attention to the display away from the people they are with. that used to be considered rude in the old days. but cell phones and texting have already made it semi-acceptable tho still not polite. maybe future generations won't give a sh*t at all about that. well, that's their karma to deal with.
  • Reply 22 of 235

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

When using a phone or a camera, it's a little obvious your filming or taking a shot. With Glasses, you're just wearing it and people don't know if you actuly recording or not. So privacy concern is real.

It'd be so much better if the GG showed a red light when they're recording. Also, it could help if the camera objective had a lid, and it's clearly visible if the lid is on or off. You could place the lid on the objective, and people would know for sure that they have nothing to fear.

• Reply 23 of 235
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Google Glass will become a prime example of a consumer product launch that failed by taking a technology too far. ...

It's not that they took it too far, it's that they took a wrong turn.

• Reply 24 of 235

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I've only seen two people wearing glass so far and they looked like such stereotypical nerds that I was put off for life.

Google needed to give the first batch to cool people. Not to a bunch of dorks.

By definition, if you're wearing Google Glass, you're a dork. So, it doesn't matter how cool you are before you put it on, once you do you're a dork.

• Reply 25 of 235

Quote:

Originally Posted by coollector View Post

It'd be so much better if the GG showed a red light when they're recording. Also, it could help if the camera objective had a lid, and it's clearly visible if the lid is on or off. You could place the lid on the objective, and people would know for sure that they have nothing to fear.

It does show a red light, but how long is it going to take for someone to hack that and turn it off? Basically, you should just not interact with anyone wearing Google Glass, other than to ask them to leave your place of business.

• Reply 26 of 235
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    Good for movie studios and filming things.

People keep saying things like this, but I'm not sure I believe it. Movie studios use special camera mounts to eliminate camera vibration. I imagine that glass video would look more like those crappy YouTube videos where the cameraman doesn't know what he is doing. Not professional quality at all.
  • Reply 27 of 235
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I already wear glasses (when my contacts aren't in, which is more often than I'd like since I'm getting eyes of a late 30s-year-old now). I hate wearing glasses. They cause migraines and general discomfort. They obstruct life and they damage hand-eye coordination, and yet they're a necessity (can't afford eye surgery). Why would I add to that with this dumb Google gadget? Has anyone who requires contacts or real glasses tested these things on their defective and modified eyes?

Then on top of that, you can add the rest of the complaints and issues already mentioned.
  • Reply 28 of 235

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It does show a red light, but how long is it going to take for someone to hack that and turn it off?

Thank you, I did not know that.

I hope that Google made it very hard to hack, otherwise it's useless.

• Reply 29 of 235

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

True, they no longer think you are schizophrenic, but they still think you are a douche.

Which is more than a bit unfair to schizophrenics.

• Reply 30 of 235
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

It does show a red light, but how long is it going to take for someone to hack that and turn it off? Basically, you should just not interact with anyone wearing Google Glass, other than to ask them to leave your place of business.

Agreed.  The "it shows a red light when recording" argument is worthless.  Anyone who wishes to record anonymousely will do so.

• Reply 31 of 235

Quote:

Thank you, I did not know that.

I hope that Google made it very hard to hack, otherwise it's useless.

Hey, it's open!

• Reply 32 of 235
    bizzarebizzare Posts: 62member
    That's the beauty of things, google can experiment and not get criticized. Unfortunately had this been Apple the stock would be down 10% tomorrow.
  • Reply 33 of 235

Quote:

Hey, it's open!

This could be hardware instead of software.

• Reply 34 of 235

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Agreed.  The "it shows a red light when recording" argument is worthless.  Anyone who wishes to record anonymousely will do so.

I think the word you wanted there was 'surreptitiously', not 'anonymousely'. Anonymice don't spy on you.

• Reply 35 of 235

Quote:

This could be hardware instead of software.

Every component of Glass is almost certainly controllable via software. Even if it weren't, it could still be disconnected or painted over.

• Reply 36 of 235
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

People may get upset but they dont care about their privacy. Look at the NSA stuff. Google spyware is selling by the millions everyday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Good article. I think the suspicion will be huge, especially over the ability to record via a camera, and wondering where people's attention is. Smartphones are sometime invasive enough when used without basic courtesy, but at least you can see when someone is looking at, recording with a smartphone. I don't expect this to take off - imo it hinders rather than enhances basic human interaction.

Once websites pop-up to exhibit collections of nasty or embarrassing pictures/videos of people taken surreptitiously with Glass, the mainstream media will pick the story up, and there will be a public backlash. The minute someone sees a video of themselves on a website asking "so you're not recording this, right?" is the end of Glass. Google Wave it bye-bye.

• Reply 37 of 235
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    By definition, if you're wearing Google Glass, you're a dork. So, it doesn't matter how cool you are before you put it on, once you do you're a dork.

Why not a brand new word to differentiate Google users? You know, the kind of person who is truly a sheep and is too stupid to want technology to integrate with their life... instead of the other way around.

Why not just call them googs?
  • Reply 38 of 235
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

I think the word you wanted there was 'surreptitiously', not 'anonymousely'. Anonymice don't spy on you.

Anonymouse, FTW. image

I'm surprised it didn't auto correct for him. Must be an Android thing.

• Reply 39 of 235

Quote:

Every component of Glass is almost certainly controllable via software.

The red light should definitively be hardwired, and if the led is dead, then the camera is dead too.

Google has to take this privacy issue very seriously, because it could kill the product.

On a side note, if I were a bar owner, I wouldn't ban the GG, but I'd probably put some tape on the camera to tranquilize the other clients.

• Reply 40 of 235

Quote:

The red light should definitively be hardwired, and if the led is dead, then the camera is dead too.

Google has to take this privacy issue very seriously, because it could kill the product.

On a side note, if I were a bar owner, I wouldn't ban the GG, but I'd probably put some tape on the camera to tranquilize the other clients.

The product is already dead. Any business owner who doesn't ban Glass is asking for trouble. If I were a bar owner, I'd ban them and have the bouncers toss anyone wearing them, and if they "accidentally" get broken in the process, oops!