Using Google Glass: A series of awkward encounters

Comments

• Reply 81 of 235
    Anyone who looks like they're wearing a toupee on top of a wig will get strange responses.
  • Reply 82 of 235
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    I don't want to be recorded by someone I'm having a conversation with. Plus these look dorky, even in black. If you use these socially, you can expect to become a lot less popular.

I can see professional uses, but the violation of privacy you get when wearing these is just too much.

That said, I like that they're trying new things, and I hope that good things do come out of this.
  • Reply 83 of 235
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

Imagine if you held your phone up all the time like you were taking a picture?  Or those people who have the bluetooth headset in their ears even when they aren't on a call.  THAT's google glass.  It's like holding a camera up to everyone and no one will like you.  Like the BT earpiece guy, everyone will think you're a douche.  And you are... if you are wearing it when you obviously don't need to be.

It's interesting how the tech of our dreams is snuffed out by the way people react to it when it finally exists.  Segway's were banned by some communities before they even launched.  And even today, you seldom see them.

Google glass is a good example of just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Now, the forthcoming iWatch... we'll see how that goes over.  I bet you it will be better received than Google glass.

• Reply 84 of 235
    sully54sully54 Posts: 108member
    Considering I, like many people out there are still self-conscious using Siri in public, Google Glass definitely has an uphill battle for acceptance. Kudos to google for getting this started.
  • Reply 85 of 235
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by coollector View Post

The red light should definitively be hardwired, and if the led is dead, then the camera is dead too.

Google has to take this privacy issue very seriously, because it could kill the product.

On a side note, if I were a bar owner, I wouldn't ban the GG, but I'd probably put some tape on the camera to tranquilize the other clients.

I agree with the hardwiring part and the privacy issue but if I were a bar or restaurant owner I'd ban GG for sure. I can see GG being very useful for certain circumstances, applications and situations but I hope GG never gets accepted as an everyday common general use item.

• Reply 86 of 235
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    coollector wrote: »
    The red light should definitively be hardwired, and if the led is dead, then the camera is dead too.

Google has to take this privacy issue very seriously, because it could kill the product.

Haha. As creepy Eric would say: if you don't want your activity being filmed, maybe you shouldn't be doing it. Or you could move.
  • Reply 87 of 235
    I bet you most vids from Glass will be cleavage shots.
  • Reply 88 of 235
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Well, in my defense, that's where I look all the time.image

• Reply 89 of 235
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Nerds Gone Wild.

• Reply 90 of 235
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

This article is no surprise, there are lots of technologies which do not take into consideration the social aspects and are failures because of this. As people walk around with these devices and others realize what it is they will become more hostile towards it. Yes there are lots of camera's watching us ever day, but very few people actually notice them nor is streamed all over the world.  And when they do, like in stores which show your video as you walk around those who notice begin trying to avoid the camera's line of sight this is human nature. There is one thing to be watched from a distance but it is another thing to be recorded up close.

This is exactly why always on video calls/conference never took off. Technologist been trying to put a camera on ever phone for a long time and its failed every time, due to the social aspects they Technologist fail to understand. Simple put you can look your worse and go out and not think twice about it, but as soon as someone pulls out a camera, those same people want to go and fix themselves so they do not look bad. Add in the fact that if people think you might be streaming it all over the internet, people will be hostile towards those wearing google glasses.

Those say Skype is very popular, that because people choose to participate, and they are ask to show themselves and they have the final choose on transmitting their video. Not true to something like Google Glass, plus someone video chatting with a user of GG with become very suspicious of someone who they can not see and only see what they see.

• Reply 91 of 235
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member

Google Glass:  $1,500

Hoodie to hide the $1,500 thing on your head:  $25

Seeing someone eye-tweet about too much foam on their latte while stepping into an open manhole?  Priceless. 

• Reply 92 of 235
    iqof48iqof48 Posts: 3member
    So do they account for people who need prescription lenses? Might be a fair percentage of the target market.
  • Reply 93 of 235
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    Imagine if you held your phone up all the time like you were taking a picture?  Or those people who have the bluetooth headset in their ears even when they aren't on a call.  THAT's google glass.  It's like holding a camera up to everyone and no one will like you.  Like the BT earpiece guy, everyone will think you're a douche.  And you are... if you are wearing it when you obviously don't need to be.

It's interesting how the tech of our dreams is snuffed out by the way people react to it when it finally exists.  Segway's were banned by some communities before they even launched.  And even today, you seldom see them.

Google glass is a good example of just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Now, the forthcoming iWatch... we'll see how that goes over.  I bet you it will be better received than Google glass.

Didn't Steve hate the Segway and trash their initial marketing approach?

I bet he would have hated GG, or rather the tech behind it. At least for consumer use.

As of others have said, this likely has a professional application: doctors, mechanics, even warehouse workers (auto scanning of barcodes and RFID), etc.
  • Reply 94 of 235
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    I fully understand the dork and privacy issues.

But, GG is also an incredibly useful tool, not only in niche markets.

Imagine when hiking and you get directions from GG.
    Or better, where flora and fauna are recognized and GG explains you everything about it.

Going around in musea can be much more fun and instructive

The thing is, the possibilities with a device like GG are just limitless

I predict a device like GG will be a hit. Not an instant hit but therés just too much value in the proposition that it'll be DOA.
  • Reply 95 of 235
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Something like Google glass may be very useful e.g. for doing inventory in a warehouse, packing mail order shipments, accessing medical records during medical procedures, capturing instructional or documentary video close up in confined spaces, etc.

However I'd smack it off everyone's head who'd dare to cross my property line wearing one...

The Borg has no place in public, regardless how many uneducated but knowledgable techno geeks believe that doing everything that can be done is progress without deeply questioning if it should be done, and for what purpose and whose benefit.

If people are too lazy to pull out a smartphone to look something up in Wikipedia then they need to be smacked, or they know so little that they have to look up so much that it matters. In that case however more technology is not a solution to a lack of studying.
  • Reply 96 of 235
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Something like Google glass may be very useful e.g. for doing inventory in a warehouse, packing mail order shipments, accessing medical records during medical procedures, capturing instructional or documentary video close up in confined spaces, etc.

However I'd smack it off everyone's head who'd dare to cross my property line wearing one...

The Borg has no place in public, regardless how many uneducated but knowledgable techno geeks believe that doing everything that can be done is progress without deeply questioning if it should be done, and for what purpose and whose benefit.

If people are too lazy to pull out a smartphone to look something up in Wikipedia then they need to be smacked, or they know so little that they have to look up so much that it matters. In that case however more technology is not a solution to a lack of studying.

you're using the exact same arguments as those used 40 years ago against calculators

• Reply 97 of 235
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

you're using the exact same arguments as those used 40 years ago against calculators

Calculators rarely seem to pose a threat to ones privacy and personal space.

• Reply 98 of 235
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Anything to get attention........ I think Lester's wife might file for a divorce if she can't get her husband to take those things off and pay attention to her. Lester, trust me, take the things off and chock it up to a $1600 mistake. You probably can't sell them for a period of time, can you? Otherwise, stick the things on eBay and get your money back from the next sucker. Just a suggestion.

• Reply 99 of 235
    blitz1 wrote: »

Since the Borg was intro'd in 1989, I say those calculator critics were ahead if their time 40 years ago. :)

No one carried a calculator with them in public back then.
  • Reply 100 of 235
    muppetry wrote: »
    Calculators rarely seem to pose a threat to ones privacy and personal space.

And by "rarely" you mean "never."