iOS 7 beta: Safari ditches '.com' button, dots return in Calendar

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The third beta of iOS 7 features a number of subtle but significant tweaks to the pre-release operating system, including the return of event day dots in Calendar, and the removal of the ".com" button from the virtual keyboard in Safari.

Changes

The ".com" button in Safari was an annoyance for some beta testers, who complained they would accidentally hit it instead of the space bar. The button was a remnant from earlier versions of iOS, when the search field and URL entry space were separate.

Starting with iOS 7, Apple has unified the URL and search bars into one user interface element. But the remaining ".com" button made the space bar smaller, and would lead to accidental presses when users meant to search rather than type in a URL.

Monday's release of iOS 7 beta 3 addresses that frustration experienced by some developers. As a replacement, users can hold down on the period button located to the right of the space bar, and the usual options of ".com," ".net," ".org," ".edu," and ".us" become available.

In another change to the third beta of iOS 7, Apple has brought back event day dots when using the native Calendar app in month view. In the first two betas, the redesigned Calendar app lacked the dots that were used in previous versions of iOS to allow users to know which days on their calendar included an event.

With iOS 7 beta 3, individual days on the calendar will have a small gray dot underneath the date to indicate that one or more calendar entries are scheduled for that day.

Other minor changes can be found throughout iOS 7 beta 3. For example, contact options in Messages have changed from text to icons.

Icons

And in Photos, the "Add" button has been changed to a plus sign, while a new "Add To" feature when selecting photos allows for easily placing pictures in albums. Fonts throughout the system have also been made easier to read, with a slightly thicker design.

The lock screen has also been tweaked to display current music album art, controls and time all simultaneously. And "World Clock" selections in the Clock app will inform users in words how many hours ahead or behind another time zone is.

In addition, when applications are installing from the App Store, Apple has changed to a new circular, clock-like loading animation.

For an in-depth look at the sweeping changes included in Apple's next-generation mobile operating system, see AppleInsider's Inside iOS 7 series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Thicker fonts throughout the system seems to address a major issue many had.

I wonder when they will change the lock screen arrows that confuse people on how to swipe to unlock?

And I'm assuming at this point the icons will not change before release...
  • Reply 2 of 68
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    The shadow below the text on the home screen helps when having a light background.
  • Reply 3 of 68
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Now, if they just change the back button to something usable and less ugly/confusing, and redesign the lock screen, almost all the UI concerns will be addressed.

Unlikely at this point I suppose. :\

The biggest thing that surprises me is that the lock screen which has been almost universally vilified by design nerds online, has remained exactly the same through [I]three betas[/I] now. Everyone except Apple seems to agree that it has numerous, serious, overlapping problems and a few attempts I've seen at user testing of it shows that it's new behaviour simply isn't "discoverable" at all.

Yet it remains untouched.
  • Reply 4 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Thicker fonts throughout the system seems to address a major issue many had….

I was wondering when they were going to do this as well.  The funny thing about the font they chose is that Helvetica Neue is actually a "multi-master" font and thus adjustable for many different states in-between medium, light, ultra-light, etc. They could literally choose any weight they wanted, but they went with the most extreme end.  Seems like they've just dialled it back a smidge to the perfect weight. 

• Reply 5 of 68
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    They'll refine things one by one. Even after release: this is a SUPER high-speed job that began only 7-8 months ago. iOS 7 is so new, so quickly, that it is guaranteed to have growing pains.

I think I could have used iOS 7 for years and never even SEEN those lock screen arrows. They're certainly not the right solution. Maybe no solution is needed: the home screen and other apps have no indication of those gestures; why should the lock screen? Unless the lock screen is were you're supposed to LEARN that those gestures exist... a job which the arrows fail to achieve.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    blackbook wrote: »
    Thicker fonts throughout the system seems to address a major issue many had.

I wonder when they will change the lock screen arrows that confuse people on how to swipe to unlock?

And I'm assuming at this point the icons will not change before release...

At first I thought I was imagining the fonts being bolder. I agree with the lock screen. You have the camera, shortcut menu, and slider to unlock all too close. Many small tweaks making things much better.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    mwnorrismwnorris Posts: 6member
    I've personally found the last 2 betas to be very unstable. I have trouble seeing this being ready for the public in any short timeframe without major adjustments. It simply doesn't work a high percentage of the time.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Now, if they just change the back button to something usable and less ugly/confusing, and redesign the lock screen, almost all the UI concerns will be addressed.

Unlikely at this point I suppose. image

Yet it remains untouched.

iOS 7 is at least another 4 months to wide release. Apple has been releasing versions with design tweaks and changes every 2 weeks. And you don't think it is possible Apple may make more changes to improve the design?

• Reply 9 of 68
    I don't know if this happened when anyone else updated to beta 3, but all the translucency throughout the OS is completely gone. Notification center is now a solid black with white outlines at the top, control center is now a bright solid metal, the keyboard in spotlight is black and white in Messages. The bars in the stores are totally solid black and white. Is this true of anyone else? I tried restarting the phone but to no avail. I don't really care, but it is curious.
  • Reply 10 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

iOS 7 is at least another 4 months to wide release. Apple has been releasing versions with design tweaks and changes every 2 weeks. And you don't think it is possible Apple may make more changes to improve the design?

I somehow don't think so, but you are right.  This isn't necessarily a rational belief.  

• Reply 11 of 68
    Question does the menu now rotate on a i phone like on a i pad?
    If someone could answer would be gratefully received.
    Thanks
  • Reply 12 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have a feeling iOS 7 will be quite polished by the time it's ready to ship. They had to get something out for WWDC but they're polishing as they go and with certain changes like the thicker font it looks like they're listening to feedback and willing to make changes. :)
  • Reply 13 of 68
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Currently, there is no visual cue informing new users that Notification Center exists in iOS 6. It's just one of those things you learn from someone else, by accident, or by flipping through the quick start guide.

• Reply 14 of 68
    I don't know if this happened when anyone else updated to beta 3, but all the translucency throughout the OS is completely gone. Notification center is now a solid black with white outlines at the top, control center is now a bright solid metal, the keyboard in spotlight is black and white in Messages. The bars in the stores are totally solid black and white. Is this true of anyone else? I tried restarting the phone but to no avail. I don't really care, but it is curious.
    I've heard there is a contrast setting that can be adjusted to turn the translucency on and off.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    vorsos wrote: »
    Currently, there is no visual cue informing new users that Notification Center exists in iOS 6. It's just one of those things you learn from someone else, by accident, or by flipping through the quick start guide.
    How many things software wise really are intuitive if you've never used them before? When my elderly mom got an iPad mini I had to show her how it works. But it didn't take her long to catch on and now she doesn't need my help at all. I haven't used iOS 7 yet but don't think it would take very long at all to get used to the navigation.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

I'm pleased to see that the event day dots are back on the month view. Didn't see the point in removing them in the first place, maybe it was just a bug.

• Reply 17 of 68

To bring back the transparency go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Turn off "Increase Contrast" and your transparency will return. 

• Reply 18 of 68
    joeleebrjoeleebr Posts: 3member

What happend to the translucency!!!!  they made ios7 look different unique depending on every user's background!  I miss it and hate the flat one color look or black background for pull down notifications!

Please Apple.  Hope this is only a trial beta 3 version!  You guys even advertised it in the apple site and during WWDC speech.  Please change it back!

• Reply 19 of 68
    joeleebrjoeleebr Posts: 3member

Thank God!   they made ios7 look different unique depending on every user's background!  I miss it and hate the flat one color look or black background for pull down notifications!

• Reply 20 of 68
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

From another thread right next to this one...

Quote:

Originally Posted by roccodelgreco View Post

To bring back the transparency go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Turn off "Increase Contrast" and your transparency will return.