Apple seeds OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview 3 with minor changes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Continuing its two-week release cycle, Apple on Monday seeded the third developer preview of its next-gen Mac operating system, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, with minor under-the-hood changes.

Mavericks

According to people familiar with the latest version of Mavericks, the new build shows no major changes, likely meaning only minor bug fixes and performance tweaks were made in the two weeks since the second developer preview was seeded in June. Apple has been on a two-week release cycle for both Mavericks and iOS 7 betas, the latter being seeded earlier on Monday.

The accompanying release notes suggest changes have been made to how Mavericks handles the forthcoming iCloud Keychain feature, as the seed is not backward compatible with iOS 7 Seed 2 or Mavericks Developer Seed 2. As such, users will need to re-enable iCloud Keychain from the iCloud preferences pane after upgrading to Developer Preview 3.

Other known issues include graphics problems when resizing or switching from standard to satellite view in Maps, file handling in Aperture and Photoshop, and various small bugs. Finally, the notes point out that Fusion Drive volumes created in Developer Preview 3 are incompatible with OS X 10.8.4 or earlier.

When Mavericks launches this fall, it will bring a number of improvements and feature additions to the current OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, including Finder tabs, Maps, App Nap and Compressed Memory, among others.

Developers can download the the third Mavericks preview via the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, the notes point out that Fusion Drive volumes created in Developer Preview 3 are incompatible with OS X 10.8.4 or earlier.

Huh! What!!??!!

• Reply 2 of 25
    thewbthewb Posts: 79member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Huh! What!!??!!

I hope they get that sorted out before release without breaking anything, because I want to keep using the unofficial DIY Fusion drive I installed in my 2011 Mac Mini.

• Reply 3 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Huh! What!!??!!
    New and improved!
  • Reply 4 of 25
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Finally, the notes point out that Fusion Drive volumes created in Developer Preview 3 are incompatible with OS X 10.8.4 or earlier.

Huh! What!!??!!

I think they mean that you cannot access your FD volume with 10.8.4 from a different volume running DP3. Which would be strange, yes, but wouldn't be a problem if you upgrade 10.8.4 (or older version) to 10.9
  • Reply 5 of 25
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    thewb wrote: »
    I hope they get that sorted out before release without breaking anything, because I want to keep using the unofficial DIY Fusion drive I installed in my 2011 Mac Mini.

Well, the primary reason of listing issues in release notes is normally not to point out that they are intended...

Nevertheless, you should maybe not upgrade to 10.9 when it's out before hearing from others with "DIY" Fusion drives. Running a configuration that Apple does not officially support, one could not really blame them for breaking it... I even had some problems with Apple's software RAID implementations in the past - and those were "official".
  • Reply 6 of 25
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    thewb wrote: »
    No reason to think you can't, the problem is for Fusion Drives created using DP3 (unless you created yours today and intend on rolling back your OS sometime soon).
  • Reply 7 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Free!
  • Reply 8 of 25
    ireland wrote: »
    Free!

Dropped Windows for Mac?
  • Reply 9 of 25
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Huh! What!!??!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWB View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

New and improved!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Well, the primary reason of listing issues in release notes is normally not to point out that they are intended...

Nevertheless, you should maybe not upgrade to 10.9 when it's out before hearing from others with "DIY" Fusion drives. Running a configuration that Apple does not officially support, one could not really blame them for breaking it... I even had some problems with Apple's software RAID implementations in the past - and those were "official".

The release notes say: "Fusion Drive volumes created with Developer Preview 3 are not compatible with OS X version 10.8.4 or earlier."

Their is no indication that this will be the final state of Mavericks when released (RTM). A lot of things change for one reason or other - if this is a permanent change their may by a migration plan by then (of course nothing says it will work for DIY solution).

I wouldn't expect Apple to lock out DIY fusion solutions since it does not require something different (like 10,000 RPM drive or special firmware for the SSD) like they did with CD-R drives back in the day.

• Reply 10 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Beta 3 does seem to be running fine with Aperture and Photoshop for me. The Fusion thing confused me ... The term 'created with'. I immediately read that as 'VMWare Fusion' volumes' given I 'create' these. Then reading on I see it is the combo drives. Fusion HD/SDD drives are formatted not 'created'. I now assume they mean partitioned? Or do they mean formatted. Sorry maybe I am being slow this morning.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member

Can we just pretend like Apple isn't stupid and just call it 10.9? I mean, really, Mavericks?  Unless you're from a certain part of CA all you hear is McCain/Palin...

#namingfail

• Reply 12 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bigmc6000 wrote: »
    Can we just pretend like Apple isn't stupid and just call it 10.9? I mean, really, Mavericks?

Mavericks.

Get over it. What you hear ? the only possible thing anyone can ever hear. :no:
  • Reply 13 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Mavericks.

Get over it. What you hear ? the only possible thing anyone can ever hear. image

I see you have a reading comprehension issue...

"Unless you're from a certain part of CA all you hear is McCain/Palin..."

I didn't say it was the only possible thing anyone hears - in fact I pointed out that some people hear something else. However, to the majority of people in the US when they hear the word "Mavericks" they think McCain/Palin, followed by the Dallas basketball team and then there's a small number of people in CA that actually know what Apple is talking about.  It's horrible and nearly everything I've read from across the internet think the same thing. 

You just keep on being that cool guy behind the keyboard...

• Reply 14 of 25
    Can we just pretend like Apple isn't stupid and just call it 10.9? I mean, really, Mavericks?  Unless you're from a certain part of CA all you hear is McCain/Palin...

#namingfail

• Reply 15 of 25
    [quote name="bigmc6000" url="/t/158399/apple-seeds-os-x-10-9-mavericks-developer-preview-3-with-minor-changes#post_2359391"]
    "Unless you're from a certain part of CA all you hear is McCain/Palin..."

I didn't say it was the only possible thing anyone hears[/QUOTE]

No, that's exactly what you said. Come off it.

Mavericks.
  • Reply 16 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, that's exactly what you said. Come off it.

Mavericks.

Still failing at that whole english thing huh?

You said "What you hear ? the only possible thing anyone can ever hear."  Which is exactly what I DIDN'T say.  I said I hear "stupid" but some people in CA hear "surfers."

It's a completely idiotic name - doesn't matter how many times you say it like it's a sentence.  It's still a stupid name and it's still not a sentence.

Also - PhilBoogie - do you see anything in there about software? Nothing? Right, you see definition #1 which was exactly the entire base of the whole McCain/Palin thing.  If you hear "Mavericks" and you don't even think about McCain/Palin at all then feel free to stay under the rock.

Doesn't matter how many comments you make about how that's the name and blah blah blah - it's still a stupid name and most people think the same thing.  You can say you like it and you don't think it's stupid but I'm allowed to think it's stupid just as much as you're allowed to think it isn't.  The difference is that most things I've read say it's stupid. (excluding stuff on AI since that's not exactly a representative cross section).

• Reply 17 of 25

Also - PhilBoogie - do you see anything in there about software? Nothing? Right, you see definition #1 which was exactly the entire base of the whole McCain/Palin thing.  If you hear "Mavericks" and you don't even think about McCain/Palin at all then feel free to stay under the rock.

I don't think it's a good name, nor do I think it's a bad name. I'll just refer to the new version of OSX as I've always done: 10.9 in this case.

I'm not American, and not interested in discussing politics here, or anywhere on the internet for that matter, just think that people are obviously 'allowed' to speak their mind, just don't see any reason to cling on this name and make a discussion out of it.

You could do as I do, just call it 10.9 and enjoy its snappiness. And Maps, really great app. In my opinion.

Posted from a rock.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    thewbthewb Posts: 79member
    A Fusion drive is a CoreStorage logical volume group consisting of one SSD and one HDD, and other than the Terminal commands to create the logical volume group, I don't recall any special incantation was required to make it do the Fusion behavior. If there is a compatibility-breaking difference between my DIY Fusion drive and a genuine one, I don't know what it is.

I'm not too worried about it, this is just one of those things that will be on my mind when it comes time to upgrade to Mavericks.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    [quote name="bigmc6000" url="/t/158399/apple-seeds-os-x-10-9-mavericks-developer-preview-3-with-minor-changes#post_2359404"]
    I said I hear...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]all you hear[/QUOTE]

Plan to keep lying?

[QUOTE]It's a completely idiotic name...[/QUOTE]

Mavericks.

...most people think the same thing.

You seem to have this delusion that you are the only human being on the face of the Earth. Why do you think this is?

Oh, wait, dang, it's Solipsism! Hey, man, how's it going! :lol:

[QUOTE]I'm allowed to think it's stupid...[/QUOTE]

Who said otherwise? What you're not allowed to do is claim it's the only thing anyone hears or that most people think the same way.
  • Reply 20 of 25

I have the delusion I'm the only human being on the planet because there are a bunch of people who also think it's stupid?

What???

And, actually, yes I can say it's what most people think because I pointed out that most of what I've read say it's a stupid name.  So, for example, if I asked 1 person and they said it was stupid I CAN say that 2 people think it's stupid.  Then, follow me here, if I ask ANOTHER person and they also say it's stupid then I am, in fact, allowed to say that 3 people say it's stupid...

Would it be better if I said "a lot" instead of "most"?  Ok, a lot of people think it's stupid.