Hidden iOS 7 beta option points to 'iOS in the Car' AirPlay support over Wi-Fi

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A newly discovered developer option in Apple's iOS 7 beta shows controls for "iOS in the Car" over both USB and Wi-Fi, suggesting the company's AirPlay protocol may be used to stream visual and audio data to supported automotive infotainment systems.

iOS in the Car

According to Hamza Sood, who discovered the options in the iOS 7 beta's "Accessory Developer" settings menu, the three toggle switches seen above are preferences linked to Apple's AirPlay.

Apple's iOS in the Car made its debut at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference in June. As an extension of Siri Eyes Free, the feature grants access to basic phone functions, but goes further by displaying a customized version of iOS on an infotainment system's screen.

While it appears that "normal" hard-wired USB connections will still be an option for iOS in the Car, via a 30-pin or Lightning input, the new wireless protocol support would bring an even greater level of convenience for users. With AirPlay over Wi-Fi, an iPhone can beam Siri, Maps, music, communications, and other information to a car's receiver without being taken out of a user's pocket or bag.

As a side note, Apple's choice to use AirPlay could be one of the reasons why BMW said in June that it was reluctant to throw support behind iOS in the Car.

At the time, the German auto maker claimed it would have to make significant architectural changes to the company's built-in iDrive and ConnectedDrive interfaces, adding that the process of integrating iOS into a dashboard system is "not as simple as it sounds." The luxury brand does, however, plan to support Siri Eyes Free in its 2014 model-year lineup.

For now, major automotive manufacturers planning to adopt Apple's second-screen iOS in the Car capabilities include Honda, Acura, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Infiniti, Ferrari, Chevrolet, Hyundai, Kia, Volvo, Opel and Jaguar.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Come on Subaru, get wid it.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    My next car will have iOS in the Car. If that limits my choices, so be it. It's that high on my list of requirements. (But I don't need WiFi: I'll be plugged into USB for power anyway.)

(Yes, it would be nice to see Subaru moving on this--and others moving more quickly.)
  • Reply 3 of 17
    bishopbishop Posts: 3member
    BMW & Toyota come on!
    I will not pick u unless u guys r iOS ready. :P
  • Reply 4 of 17
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    "Not as simple as it sounds"
    pfft company speak for we can't earn a twist from it so we're going to resist it.

Yes, yes it is easy, make it an option dummkopfs !
    You can have our system developed at huge expense which we believe will provide you with the best experience possible or byo
    An option 99.9% of your customers who own a smart device would probably be happy with.
    Witness
    relic wrote: »
    This is neat, a guy installed an iPod in his 04' Porshe 996, http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996/301123-ipad-mini-dash-install-996-mkii.html.

• Reply 5 of 17
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Wifi in the car - what's been taking you so long?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Some car mfg have built in hot spots, so this just makes it easier to add automatic connection in a car.

I'm sure over time, we'll all figure every new feature out. It looks like iOS 7 is going to have a lot of features than mentioned in the WWDC keynote.

COOL.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    What's iAP?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    OT

hey thanks again for those linkies yesterday, Doc !
    I passed them on to my computer driven pos yuppy mates ! They were rapt that there ARE solutions out there.
    cheers, r
    OT ends
  • Reply 9 of 17
    crowley wrote: »
    What's iAP?

Bloody good question - I searched it.
    My favourite so far http://www.penturners.org/ :D
  • Reply 10 of 17
    This is great news. I'd love to essentially have my in-car Nav be an AppleTV with touch.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Is this a feature that could be used if we bought a car today or do we have to wait for the automakers to give their cars a software update to make this work?

I'm in the market for a car now and I don't want to miss out on this feature?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I was thinking of replacing my cars stereo with one that has an HDMI input on the back. Then I could simply mirror my iphone screen to the dash with the HDMI adapter.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    johnnyb0731johnnyb0731 Posts: 326member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bishop View Post

BMW & Toyota come on!

I will not pick u unless u guys r iOS ready. :P

I just wish that Toyota would release a software update for the entertainment system in my Prius to run this instead of their entune system

• Reply 14 of 17
    moonarchmoonarch Posts: 1member
    "the German auto maker claimed it would have to make significant architectural changes"
    Why can't the author just use the word DESIGN? While BMW designs beautiful vehicles (no, I don't own one), why misuse the term architectural?

What is iAP over WiFi?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    airbubbleairbubble Posts: 105member

iAP just refers to AirPlay 

While it appears that "normal" hard-wired USB connections will still be an option for iOS in the Car, via a 30-pin or Lightning input, the new wireless protocol support would bring an even greater level of convenience for users. With AirPlay over Wi-Fi, an iPhone can beam Siri, Maps, music, communications, and other information to a car's receiver without being taken out of a user's pocket or bag.

• Reply 16 of 17
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    I have a 2013 Hond Pilot. Thinking of replacing the screen with an iPad mini with Cellular. I won't do it (it's a lease anyway) but really spend too much time thinking of how it could work...
  • Reply 17 of 17
    redgeminiparedgeminipa Posts: 555member

Come on aftermarket stereo vendors! There still isn't anything with Lightning connector support! I really hope there were some good leaks that signaled them to hold off until iOS in the Car is available. 

Oh, and I agree... come on Subaru! 

Here's iOS in a Subaru... ;)